It is currently September 19th, 2019, 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2018, 11:06 pm 

yarnellboat wrote:

You're probably right about the BCC leaders being out paddling! Assuming you e-mailed the membership director or pres, they should eventually get back to you.

yes, seems like the membership director is MIA atm (not blaming him though). I will just be patient. I do not see any mention of a "field trip " on the 26th on the web site but I will keep poking.

Clipper is doing a "demo day" on the 8th. I will go there and see if I can try out the Caribou and Tripper S. Good idea to arrive with the dog/kid and some load, ty !
I will probably go for the Caribou because as mentioned it's better to go with the canoe that you need now instead of the one you may need later on. But I get it, the caribou will be very limiting with a kid (9y/o ).
BTW, I am 1m80 / 85kg and the dog should be around 35/40 kg, so neither of us are that big : )

And lol, about owning several canoes at the moment it look like science fiction, but I can see that happening. I understand why it's convenient.

Cheers,

T.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2018, 11:52 pm 

On the BCC website go to Events > Trips and you will see a calendar with trips and contacts! Going as a guest shouldn't be a problem. I don't know the membership director, but their role is typically busiest in the early spring when the club does recruiting and training (I always thought they should do some recruiting and training in late summer too, but it all takes volunteers), so any of the trip leaders would be good contacts too.

A good reason to join the club is getting a good line on used boats! I've bought and sold canoes through club circles that were never advertised. Or you can check MEC and Craigslist frequently and find good stuff. Not that there are many dedicated flatwater solo boats out there.

I remember being happy to have 1 canoe. Now I own 6, after selling a couple, and I'm looking for another, but could sell one too. Hmmm, and now that you mention it, that doesn't include a nice, cruisey solo flatwater canoe, that would be very nice!

Great idea to go for a demo day with Western! Glad they have one coming up.

P.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2018, 12:28 pm 

6 canoes ?!!? :lol: :clap:

Ok, that endeavor is going to be more costly than expected if I need a buy a larger place to store a fleet ;)

T.

PS: if you do not mind, can you explain to me why you might need 6 canoes?

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2018, 1:52 pm 

Tereva wrote:
6 canoes ?!!? :lol: :clap:

Ok, that endeavor is going to be more costly than expected if I need a buy a larger place to store a fleet ;)

T.

PS: if you do not mind, can you explain to me why you might need 6 canoes?

12. Down from 17.
One wood canvas beauty that a deceased friend of mine made
one a tandem for FreeStyle made by the same friend with wood from our property
one a royalex day cruiser for gravelly streams and mild whitewater
two expedition cruisers for really long trips and big water
One pack canoe 23 lbs
One a 1907 Robertson canoe being restored
One sea canoe for the ocean
One old solo speedy tripper that is twitchy and can only be knelt in
One Freestyle/tripping canoe solo symmetrical rocker
One solo downriver racing whitewater canoe
One large volume solo asymmetrical but carries fresh water for ten days its that big ( Everglades)

One isnt used. So we have one more boat than...needed.
Kayak for hubby too.

Next question?

Your personal need =the current number of canoes you have+1

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2018, 1:54 pm 

They all have different purposes, ranging from little kayak-sized "C-1s" for whitewater goofiness to a family-sized tripping canoe. Having dedicated whitewater playboats adds to the fleet, because you still need normal canoes for normal canoeing on lakes etc. Plus, I store one at the cottage so I don't have to worry about where I have the canoe, so I have 2 normal tandem canoes, but in different places.

Anyone who likes to paddle solo and tandem on flatwater and whitewater, needs several different canoes. If you throw in different needs for ruggedness vs. light weight, you might need even more. Or maybe you get into racing or other performance needs of some kind. If you trip with a family, you might need 2 canoes to accommodate that. I'm sure there are plenty people on here with more than a half dozen canoes (and I'm sure we'll hear from some of them!).

I buy used and keep my eyes peeled for good deals.

Good luck with the club & Western, Pat.

p.s. In the picture in the margin here (on the Shuswap River during a BCC weekend at the Adams River), we're in 14' ww playboat. It's too big for me to enjoy solo, so I have a dedicated solo as well - which is an old Royalex boat that's getting worn out, so I should be looking for short, modern, plastic playboat, and if I get a new plastic solo, I probably won't sell my old beater. My wife might use it a bit. And if she uses my old solo, she might develop her own preference for her own solo. As you can see, the ww tandem is no good for additional people or gear, or for flatwater, so we still need normal canoe for the kids. As the kids grow, trips might be better with 2 canoes.... You get the idea.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2018, 5:52 pm 

Sounds like you should get the Caribou S and if the time goes rent a tandem.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2018, 11:35 pm 

lololol, ok, you guys are S E R I O U S about paddling / tripping.

Paddle Power wrote:
Sounds like you should get the Caribou S and if the time goes rent a tandem.

+1
This is my plan at the moment (or maybe a Packer, but the Caribou makes me smile for no logical reason, so I will probably go for it)

Buying pre-owned make sense as long as you can find a lightly used model / type you are interested in. I can buy a brand new one, but not 6 or 12 ;)
I just got in touch with a local paddling grp (the BCC), so maybe there will be an opportunity here.

Cheers,

T.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2018, 6:46 pm 

One comment Tereva. I recommend that you ask Clipper about installing a sliding seat in that Caribou. I am about exactly your weight. My current dog is 25 kg and previous dog was 30. I've had a lot of solo canoes and still have 6. With a heavier dog your boat is going to be a bit heavy in the bow and a sliding seat lets you scoot back and balance the boat plus it gives the dog a bit more room. I have a Swift Shearwater and an Osprey and both have sliders and both are great dog boats. Plus when you are alone sliders give you more room for napping.

Good idea to start with a solo to get yourself hooked on the sport.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2018, 7:15 pm 

daypaddler wrote:
I recommend that you ask Clipper about installing a sliding seat in that Caribou

I will ask. No idea if they do that on this model and how much it will cost, but I will check it out for sure. Thx for the tip.

Cheers,

T