It is currently August 4th, 2020, 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Choice of 4 boats
PostPosted: March 14th, 2020, 12:49 pm 

Thank you for that - more affordable and flexible options in the downriver boats, a bit more available from the looks of it too.
I apparently missed the Freedom Solo by 15 minutes, learning more about buying boats on-line but would rather have the boat than the lesson...

PostPosted: April 21st, 2020, 7:23 pm 

DONE - I finally decided to purchase a boat - none of the 4 mentioned, rather a Northstar Northwind Solo in Starlight, worried that perhaps too light and may flex, less happy with foam inserts but opted to leave the option of a Phoenix in IXP behind - WW boats more available around here, can get something like that used another time. So, longer, straighter but with enough rocker to be playful? COVID-19 may continue to pose a challenge for trying other boats for decision-making and may even delay the production and delivery of a new boat.
Price was better in relative terms to locally available Swifts and H20s and with delivery, while appealing, the bigger, beamier and heavier Clipper and Hellman options came out at a similar price and fell away to the smaller Northstar. Saved some money by ordering stock trim - plan to make my own thwarts, handles and eventually likely gunnels and scuppered, small decks.
Shortly after I placed the order a used Osprey came up in excellent condition but far away and sold quickly - some thoughts that while it seems like a boat I would really enjoy perhaps a bit too small...hopefully I will be able to try one one of these days, I will also make a point of trying as many boats as I can as soon as I can this summer. The other Osprey available is now $3200! Swift is no longer making Ospreys, the form is no longer viable they say, but can and will make a Shearwater, and they have some new old stock in the barn - again, decided at higher price and a larger boat, still better with the Northwind.
I enjoyed my interaction with Bear Paulson too. I will check in later after more boat trials and hopefully the June delivery of the Northwind.

Thank you for everyone's input - greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 2:02 pm 

Congratulations. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the Northstar Northwind Solo.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2020, 12:55 pm 

As I wrestled with choices one issue I still have not quite resolved is hull construction - concerned that Northstar's Starlight layup will be a little too delicate and will need extra care - which is fine most of the time but then there are those rocks you don't quite see and embarking disembarking on Canadian Shield granite...Blacklight carried too big a premium, IXP was quite appealing but opted for the lighter weight, White/Gold seems like it would likely be more durable and repairable but I have no experience with any of these layups. Anyone care to discuss?
Is kevlar/aramid that challenging to sand and patch? Foam core and ribs act as flex points for kevlar and difficult to repair?