It is currently March 18th, 2024, 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: September 25th, 2020, 5:30 am 

I've long held a theory that people over a certain age (which includes myself) can OD on the internet. The digital natives don't have this problem.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2020, 8:16 am 
Are you suggesting a form a digital form of "Soylent Green"? I will be 79 in October, am I past my digital due date? Perhaps the fact that I am pro life can be used to argue for forced digital euthanasia. Perrequesthaps the fact that I have done this section of the Dubawnt 3 times disqualifies me. I repeat my request made earlier - erase everything I have posted at myccr including my membership. Until then I only ask that I be able to defend myself from the gossipmongers.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2020, 7:27 pm 

No sir, you're doing just fine. It's the disappearance of AJ that has me concerned.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2020, 9:48 pm 
No sir, you're doing just fine. It's the disappearance of AJ that has me concerned.

AJ made his choices/ Moffatt made his choices.

I can understand your concern for AJ, by what knowledge do you say "No sir, you're doing just fine." ?? I suffer from a non diabetic severe axonal peripheral neuropathy.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2020, 5:31 am 

Quote:
I've long held a theory that people over a certain age (which includes myself) can OD on the internet. The digital natives don't have this problem.

I really like this statement, I'm not sure if it is true, but "digital natives" really tickled my fancy. I'm back at work in the classroom everyday, and see the digital natives in full blown addiction, tock tick'n, or whatever the heck it is, avoiding reality for days at a time, completely submerged in the digital landscape of trash talking and the ten second fix. I also witness complete OD's on a regular basis, when some kid thinks their world has blown up because I ask them to put the phone in the locker for the class. It can actually turn violent.

So, in general, I think us older folks can walk away from internet stuff fairly easily, because we have other things in our life that matter. If the internet gets you riled up to the point where you are thinking about it during real life, then it is time to hang up the modem, and go paddling.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2020, 9:33 am 

Don't waste your time fighting it, eventually human consciousness will be absorbed completely by networked silicon chips and there will be no need to go outside to deal with the hard physical world... robots will be created to deal with that. The idea that humans will extend their reach into an outer space frontier is sheer nonsense, in some Star Trekkian "to boldly go where no man has gone before" Hollywood fantasy. The real frontier is in inner space, in the cyberworld humans can engineer for themselves. The reason why there have been no discoveries made in the search for extraterrestrial life elsewhere in the cosmos is precisely for that reason, the little green men realized long ago that life is far better in cyberspace than on any dusty rock orbiting a star and they're staying in there, comfortable and happy, leaving nothing to outside observers but radio silence.

OK, I've had my fun for the day, wish Allan was around for some good beer recs this Indian Summer.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2020, 11:25 am 
Some small sympathy needs to be shown for the physically challenged and their use of the internet. Often it is their single most important means of communication. We connect and share our reality and its challenges. We look ouT for each other. It may not be your reality but it is often just about all they got.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2020, 7:02 am 
"No sir, you're doing just fine." By what divine insight was that statement made? Not too many years ago I could hike 6.5 miles with a 4,500 foot altitude gain,descend and drive off. Now I walk on level ground 3/4 mile in and return 3/4 mile and drive off and call it a good day. I celebrate when my total reaches 2 miles. With two canes of course. My most likely future is sitting in a wheelchair, soiled, waiting for my wife to change me. But I am lucky, I have an invalid friend who doesn't have my mobility so we communicate over the internet. Recently I learned he went to have cataract surgery because he had problems seeing the keyboard. They told him he also had macular degeneration. Surgery put off while they evaluate his new reality.

My most fervent wish is to be eradicated from myccr. I have grown to intensely dislike this site.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2020, 7:22 pm 

david demello wrote:

My most fervent wish is to be eradicated from myccr. I have grown to intensely dislike this site.

I'm sorry to hear that David. You've certainly provided some great information on here and quite often when searching for what I consider some obscure route or river your name will pop up with information from when you were there.

Take care,

Alan

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2020, 7:40 pm 
I want to be completely removed from myccr. Nothing less.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2021, 3:28 am 
This speaks for itself:

John Sperry
Post subject: Re: Exact location of Moffatt's fatal rapid?
PostPosted: September 8th, 2021, 6:48 pm

"On Moffatt I actually do have some "new" information based on seeing a copy of Tyrrell's daily log notes (https://barrenlands.library.utoronto.ca ... s%3AD10006). These notes were brought to my attention by Joel Weintraub who was on the Dubawnt in 1966 on an NSF-funded collecting trip. Moffatt had these daily notes, because details unique to the notes are mentioned in crew members' journals. Tyrrell's jottings for Aug. 23 identify a "swift rapid which we were obliged to run one canoe at a time" at the end of the East Channel just as it broadens into Marjorie Lake. Tyrrell camped at the foot of this rapid before setting out on Marjorie Lake the next day. So Moffatt had the information he needed to be forwarned of a dangerous rapid before the lake, but everyone acted unaware. Instead of cautiously running one canoe at a time as Tyrrell did, they all plunged into it and Moffatt died. I suspect Moffatt was caught by surprise because he simply misread Tyrrell's notes. Tyrrell's notes do have to be read carefully to reconstruct the day's sequence of rapids, lunch stop, and campsite. Allan Jacobs apparently did not see these notes, because they contradict his thesis that Tyrrell failed to note the fatal rapids. Perhaps the notes were posted too late for Jacobs to see them. Note that Jacobs is correct in saying that Tyrrell DID fail to report the rapid in question on his officially published maps and accounts of the journey. He only reports the rapid in his unpublished daily log notes."

PostPosted: September 14th, 2021, 11:00 am 
So the question now is what did Alan Jacobs know and when did he know it. Iain Pears' "An Instance of the Fingerpost" might serve as a guide.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2021, 9:49 am 
John Sperry Post subject: Re: Exact location of Moffatt's fatal rapid?
PostPosted: September 8th, 2021, 6:48 pm

From the post: Moffatt had these daily notes, because details unique to the notes are mentioned in crew members' journals. Tyrrell's jottings for Aug. 23 identify a "swift rapid which we were obliged to run one canoe at a time"
Alan Jacobs

4. As well, Moffatt had corresponded with JBT; only a little information (kindly provided by participants) from these exchanges is available. It is clear, however, that Tyrrell had provided Moffatt with rapids information significantly beyond that given in JBT’s book.

http://defence-arthurmoffatt.ca/2017/03 ... e-tragedy/

Alan Jacobs said that "Tyrrell had provided Moffatt with rapids information significantly beyond that given in JBT’s book" and then to refer to Tyrrell's book as Moffatt's sole authoritative guide is at best problematic.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2021, 12:00 pm 

I am only familiar with this Moffatt incident through the various threads and comments I have read here.
The way I see it regardless of any maps, trip reports, pictures etc of any preceding trippers, it is solely the responsibility of the current paddlers to assess their own risks at that day and time and act accordingly, no one else. All fault lies with the current paddler(s)
on any trip, period.
They made a bad judgement call and one of them paid the ultimate price. Unfortunate for sure, but 100% on them and it looks like the ones tripping with him have owned that decision. It's not for anyone to say different unless you were there that day and part of the decision process.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2021, 3:32 pm 
Arguments are presented analyzed and weighed and evaluated. Let the process marinate and conclusions respected. It is only when an arbitrary characterization is made that a "phase change" is manifest IE something new is introduced that was not found in an earlier phase. Accusations of DECEIT fall into that category. The stain of deceit is indelible unless vigorous counterargument manages to mitigate it. I was labeled with DECEIT by Alan Jacobs. I am not alone.

deceit
dĭ-sēt′
noun

The act or practice[sic] of deceiving;

deception.A stratagem; a trick.

The quality of being deceitful; falseness.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next