It is currently July 1st, 2022, 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: September 28th, 2021, 11:38 pm 

Using the internet during your retirement years can boost your cognitive function, a new study has found.

Researchers from Lancaster University Management School, the Norwegian University Science and Technology and Trinity College Dublin examined the cognitive function of more than 2,000 retired people from across Europe, and found that post-retirement internet usage is associated with substantially higher scores on tests.

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/news/using- ... e-function

PostPosted: September 30th, 2021, 8:04 am 

“This sets it apart from other studies and raises the interesting question of what it is about internet use exactly, that drives this positive effect on cognitive function. Interacting with others online, finding out information in order to attend social activities or simple tasks like shopping online can all make life easier for retirees, but we are yet to understand which, if any, of these tasks actually go as far as improving cognitive performance.”

i would guess it's the navigation of and behaviour of graphical displays, and hardly about the internet. eg, you want the sun so you go for a walk, but the sun is not what strengthens your legs.
but i'd bet my money on chess over graphical displays, so long it had the same magnitude of incentive,

'a rolling stone gathers no moss'

PostPosted: September 30th, 2021, 12:44 pm 

"...raises the interesting question of what it is about internet use exactly, that drives this positive effect on cognitive function."
"...but we are yet to understand which, if any, of these tasks actually go as far as improving cognitive performance..."

given that there exists something about using the internet that has a positive effect on cognition and that it is "robust and relate only to the use of the internet, post retirement." and that that something remains an enigma points to future research grants. It is good to employ one's mind profitably. I feel so un alone knowing that there are members of esteemed college faculties worried about my very senior mental faculty. It is also wonderful to know I belong to a set of "enigma's wrapped in mystery". If only temporary. I am very interested in the mind/body conundrum at the transition into oblivion.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2021, 5:59 pm 

sorry, i meant, i'd bet it's the graphical interface, as opposed to the internet per se. the graphical representation of code (what you see, navigate, make sense of, etc).
the internet (eg, weather, social interactions, shopping, news, etc) may just be the incentive.

but it may have to do with the sheer volume of diverse information, compared to that volume a person is exposed to who doesn't use the net.

on mind body problem, i'm not sure there is one.
check out Searle or Dennett.

“You sometimes see in a wind a piece of paper blowing about anyhow. Suppose the piece of paper could make the decision: ‘Now I want to go this way.’ I say: ‘Queer, this paper always decides where it is to go, and all the time it is the wind that blows it. I know it is the wind that blows it.’ That same force which moves it also in a different way moves its decisions.” ― Ludwig Wittgenstein

PostPosted: September 30th, 2021, 6:36 pm 

"Suppose the piece of paper could make the decision:" interesting indeed. Suppose two pieces of paper could communicate only by us acting as intermediaries? A go-between paper chasing reality?

PostPosted: September 30th, 2021, 7:12 pm 

lol i think you may have changed where that man's canoe was heading. or maybe i have jumped on thinking it was off to that shore.

i think, roughly, Wit's point is that although it appears we tell our leg to bend,
the telling it to do so, and its doing so,
are simultaneous effects of one thing (eg, brain).
sort of like how a concave shape necessarily co-occurs with a convex backing,

eg, they are aspects of the same thing, rather than separate things,

PostPosted: September 30th, 2021, 9:58 pm 

"lol i think you may have changed where that man's canoe was heading."

"I think you skipped this "I've long held a theory that people over a certain age (which includes myself) can OD on the internet. The digital natives don't have this problem." [RHaslam Post subject: Re: Response to the post of Alan Gage PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:31 am]. I was responding to that with this post "Using the internet during your retirement years can boost your cognitive function, a new study has found."[david demello Post subject: Re: Response to the post of Alan Gage Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:44 pm to which you opined "i would guess it's the navigation of and behaviour of graphical displays, and hardly about the internet. eg, you want the sun so you go for a walk, but the sun is not what strengthens your legs."
It is there in paper-thin shallows the tread wallows in epistemic mud.

"A centipede was happy quite,
Until a frog in fun
Said, "Pray, which leg comes after which?"
This raised her mind to such a pitch,
She lay distracted in a ditch
Considering how to run."

PostPosted: September 30th, 2021, 10:39 pm 

yes, i understood that your 'using net in retirement' was in response to 'long held theory'.

Edit: i think i see what the confusion is.
i interpreted your reference to the mind/body conundrum, as a reference to THE 'mind body conundrum'. i think i incorrectly interpreted what you intended.

then when you responded to my response on the mind body problem, i suppose that was assurance that we were talking about the mind body problem lol.

in any case, your poem thing is excellent. i agree entirely.

but i wouldn't say it takes an effort of philosophy (or really, any effort at all) to realise that the sun is not what strengthens your legs, and is only the incentive to walk (which strengthens them).

in similar way, the internet (news, weather, shopping) may just be the incentive to compute, but that computing (learning a graphical user interface) is perhaps what is strengthening the mind.

and the reason to even mention this is because your article said that it is unknown whether visiting these sites, or those sites, or something else, is the cause of the strengthening mind.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2021, 5:32 am 

LOL, Mr. Demello, with full tongue in cheek, I suggest that you spend more time on the internet, as the original poster of that quotation was jbishop2112. I actually said, in response to Mr. Bishop the following:

Quote:
So, in general, I think us older folks can walk away from internet stuff fairly easily, because we have other things in our life that matter.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2021, 8:18 pm 

Quote:
So, in general, I think us older folks can walk away from internet stuff fairly easily, because we have other things in our life that matter.

In general perhaps. But I know of particular cases that are exceptions to that generality. I am close but not there yet. My internet stuff presently includes a mass eviction from the Sieling's Mobile Village. Another interest involves the United States Unfunded liabilities which is presently is at $157.57 trillion dollars. Another subject I migrate to is antisemitism. But I did take time off to install a dishwasher in my house. First one in 48 years. Had lots of rentals in which I installed one, but not one for us. My wife fired me as a dishwasher so I decided to install one. A life-changer. I also like reading on the internet Thomas Sowell and Victor Davis Hanson. etc etc etc. It was about two years ago the unfunded liabilities were at $128 trillion so I might witness the great crash and burn.

https://usdebtclock.org/

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2021, 6:08 pm 

RHaslam Post subject: Re: Response to the post of Alan Gage Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:32 am

LOL, Mr. Demello, with full tongue in cheek, I suggest that you spend more time on the internet, as the original poster of that quotation was jbishop2112. I actually said, in response to Mr. Bishop the following:

My question to Mr. RHaslam is this If you didn't require (attribution of quote to bishop2112) it of yourself why should you require it of others?

PostPosted: October 7th, 2021, 6:14 am 

RHaslam "LOL, Mr. Demello, with full tongue in cheek, I suggest that you spend more time on the internet...."

Indeed I shall. Right now I am involved in a reading of an article written during the pre internet era ('64). "The Medium is the Message" by MARSHALL McCLUHAN. So far I am caught up in the question as to just how much my reading of this article is affected by my reading of it on the internet (2021). Perhaps if I print it out on paper there would be a significant enough difference so as to change its meaning.

Last edited by david demello on October 7th, 2021, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2021, 8:38 am 

RHaslam “This sets it apart from other studies and raises the interesting question of what it is about internet use exactly, that drives this positive effect on cognitive function. Interacting with others online, finding out information in order to attend social activities or simple tasks like shopping online can all make life easier for retirees, but we are yet to understand which, if any, of these tasks actually go as far as improving cognitive performance.”

Given that no specifics were given, perhaps no specifics were necessary for there to be cognitive improvement. It could be argued that isolation and cognitive decline are not divorced but inextricably bound together and that use of the internet can mitigate the human condition of isolation.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2021, 8:45 am 

that's a good idea david. any ideas on how that could be tested?

PostPosted: October 7th, 2021, 10:39 am 

remogami "that's a good idea david. any ideas on how that could be tested?"

If by "that" you mean the paper vs digital of vis a vis McLuhan's article then perhaps a close reading of the article will help. If it is (an) "extension of ourselves" then what's the problem? I use the internet all the time for all sorts of reasons. One of my favorites is the conundrum that manifests itself when I read about how AI provides answers but is not able to provide understandable answers about how those answers came to be. It is as if AI is an extension of ourselves that is an enigma wrapped in a mystery.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next