It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: November 1st, 2019, 8:26 pm 

From the poetry generator,

Colorless autumn
A foreign, limp body die
at the perfect rock

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2019, 6:26 am 

In defense of pedantry in defense of Moffatt: I couldn't have defined pedantic like that, but I know it when I see it and if there has been pedantry, what dd has written here over the past few months ain't it. I for one have enjoyed reading, great paddling insights along the way. Now as to pedantry, in this new era of vicious race and gender-biased trolling, sickening hate -mongering, and deniers of every conceivable shape and stripe that hold tremendous appeal to masses of readers, whatever happened to good ol' pedantry. I'd happily put up with an avalanche of boring pedantry, if only it displaced what currently passes for discourse in much of the internet.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2019, 7:11 am 
Quote:
From the poetry generator,

Colorless autumn
A foreign, limp body die
at the perfect rock

I had a friend who was found dead soaking in a tub for a week. I prefer remembering him leaning over a chess board pondering the future of his next move. He created a "word randomizer". Miles used it to create a sequence of words that he would then ponder the meaning of. Would that he had a poetry generator with his "word randomizer", the possibilities boggle the mind.

But Pessl made the individual responsible for both his actions and the explanation of his actions:

Pg. 172 of Pessel's book: "The tragedy of September 14 occurred, in my opinion, not because of Art's alleged mental instability or some sort of Zen nonsense, but because Art and I failed to accurately translate our collective Albany River experiences to northern big-river systems........."

PostPosted: June 1st, 2020, 9:13 pm 

Did Alan J delete his 'defense' post?

I am about 1/2 way thru Grinnel's book and it is starting to look like a suicide pact amoungst the 5 of them, Peter excepted!! Lollygagging as time runs out.

It is a real stretch to call AM the trip leader. He organized the trip but did not lead it except when the mood struck him. Organizing a trip and leading it are 2 very different things. I think he had a responsibility to see that the trip had a leader even if he had little interest in doing so. It is hard to imagine anyone defending his actions. That is why I went looking for AJ's post.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2020, 12:03 pm 

I know the post got locked. Don't know if it was deleted afterwards.

Alan

PostPosted: June 4th, 2020, 12:04 pm 

Here it is:
https://myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=45362

It was better before David deleted all his earlier posts.

Alan

PostPosted: June 4th, 2020, 1:02 pm 

If you haven't read the Pessl book and the journal entry that started that other thread I'd highly recommend you do. It is interesting to compare how they perceived and recorded the same events and each one provides different insight.

I expected the Pessl book to be a defense of Moffet but I think Pessl was harder on him than Grinnel was. I thought Grinnel was harder on Pessl than anyone else.

Alan

PostPosted: June 4th, 2020, 6:46 pm 

Thx, Alan

i was thinking of reading Pessl's book and looked at a portion of it posted online. The part that I saw puzzled me. I guess, from your comment that I quoted below, that he was quoting Peter at some great length because it referred to Pessl in the third person.

I am trying not to get in too deep. A few years back I got a bit obsessed by the Hubbard trip.

AJ casts serious doubts on GG's account but his book would need to be mostly fiction for AM to be exonerated, IMO. There is an expression "Lead, follow, or get out of the way". AM didn't seem to do any of those 3. By GG's acct he exhibited no leadership qualities whatsoever. As I said above, it is misleading to say he led the trip. Organized it, yes, after a fashion, but not led.

AG quote
"In Pessl's book I was disappointed there were no more accounts from Peter's point of view after Moffats death"

PostPosted: June 5th, 2020, 6:47 am 
It was better before David deleted all his earlier posts.

Alan

I got rid of my earlier post to relieve the tension by removing myself lock, stock and barrel from the subject. "Like I never even happened. Initially A.J. seems to want to also relieve the tension. But then A.J. wanted to rehabilitate his post. I was out of there so OK, do it. Then I was wandering over the backdrop of this and cam across his accusation that I had committed a "deceit" when in fact I immediately acknowledged by error. Since the "deceit" claim remained, I revisited the subject with more vigor. Uninspired yes. Often when revisiting old haunts the spirit is gone even if the purpose remains. It was good that the subject was locked. If I had my way I would erase all of my presence there. Perhaps the moderator would do me a kindness.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2020, 9:42 am 

wotrock wrote:
Thx, Alan

i was thinking of reading Pessl's book and looked at a portion of it posted online. The part that I saw puzzled me. I guess, from your comment that I quoted below, that he was quoting Peter at some great length because it referred to Pessl in the third person.

AG quote
"In Pessl's book I was disappointed there were no more accounts from Peter's point of view after Moffats death"

Yes, Pessl's book also includes Peter's diary up to the day of Moffat's death. Pessl does a terrible job of recounting the swamping and then death of Moffat. Not that I think he was trying to hide anything, he just did a very poor job of laying out what happened and much was left out. I was disappointed there were no more entries from Peter recounting the event.

Alan

PostPosted: September 17th, 2020, 11:21 am 

Has anybody heard from AJ lately? I hope he is OK.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2020, 7:56 am 

Any more beer reviews? Hope all is well, Alan.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2020, 9:15 am 
Alan Jacobs entered the "marketplace of ideas" and charged others with deceit. I was one of them. I defended myself.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2020, 3:11 pm 

I am confused.
Every year people die kayaking and canoeing.
What is so special about this particular incident that warrants such extensive discussion?

PostPosted: September 24th, 2020, 7:58 pm 

Did not intend to fire up this old discussion again---just asking about Alan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next