It is currently November 17th, 2019, 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2002, 9:23 am 

I have an old fiberglass cadorette 16 ft canoe. I am going to use it this year on my trip to Algonquin. Does anyone have any specs on the capacity of this canoe. I tried the boat dealers but Cadorette went under a few years ago and Doral does not have any info on these. Next year I am going to get a new one for future trips probably from NothBay canoe company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2002, 5:31 pm 

We tripped in a moise cadorette, I think it is the same. Ours has a shallow depth 12" . If you are not big paddlers or have a heavy load you should be fine. The biggest draw back is if you run into any kind of chop or waves over 1' high. then the canoe tends to ship water. We stopped tripping in it as we didn't feel safe on bigger lakes.It could only carry about 450lbs-500lbs safley including paddlers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2002, 8:37 am 

We have a 16' Cadorette canoe with a single narrow, shallow keel. It is a traditional symetrical design with high bow and stern. I think that it is a model 161 and it has a DOT rating plate with motor and load capacity info that I will take a look at when I get a chance. We used this canoe for tripping back in the mid 1980s with good success but its been lightly used recently as we have needed larger canoes to accomodate children. I believe that our canoe is deeper than 12" and it has sufficient capacity for tandem one week trips if you are not too big or heavily loaded - our paddler weight was about 250 lbs total and we carried about 80 lbs of gear, food etc. We paddled the largest lakes and carried over the longest portages in Algonguin with this canoe and its only drawback was its weght of about 72 lbs that is too heavy for canoe without a proper yoke. Cadorette also sold a flat bottomed 16' canoe with 3 keels that would not be suitable for tripping.
Regards Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2002, 9:01 pm 

Talk about a trip down memory lane ......
1st canoe yrs ago bought very used from a livery was a fiberglass, chopper gun layup Cadorette. Very heavy, very fragile, very little freeboard.( reminded me of the back side of a fiberglass stall shower !) Price was right, however. (Worth exactly what we paid for it ) & it introduced us to canoe tripping. You'll really appreciate the better boats after using one

Post subject: Re: My Cadorette canoe
PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 3:40 pm 

Great read, thanks for posting.

I came across this post when looking for information on my 16' white exterior with white / red speckled interior, fiberglass, aluminum gunnel, wood seated, wood thwart Cadorette flat bottomed 3 keel canoe that I used to paddle; my first canoe I owned, 1990's to 2002, albeit no longer.

I did look at another privately for sale in Ottawa, Ontario in 2012 and thought of purchasing it for $200, however, some boats are better left in the garage on the rack; let the memories of days gone by live on instead. Granted it was nice to see the Cadorette again, no longer manufactured.

Aye, heavy it was ... including canoe tripping in Quetico Provincial Park, circa 2002.

Since then my fleet includes:

Fibreglass - 1-14' Kawartha Black Arrow red.
Kevlar - 1-16' Swift Kipawa blue, 1-16' Nova Craft Prospector red.
Royalex - 1-16' Swift Dumoine blue.
Wood canvas covered 1-12' Minto red, 1-16' Huron green.

History of Cadorette, established in 1935, St-Jean-des-Piles, Qubec (map https://goo.gl/maps/GxBZl )

"It was in 1935 when Moïse Cadorette started a company which fabricated canoes and small pleasure boats in St-Jean-des-Piles. They later introduced fiberglass in the manufacturing of their products to mould the hulls - a first in Canada in 1956. Later on, the Doral Boat was born in 1972. But it was in the historic town of Grand Mère, Quebec that the major business on boat manufacturing flourished when they moved there in 1989 after two local entrepreneurs bought Moïse Cadorette in 1979. Doral continued to expand. Doral International is now a company doing business in more than 25 countries across the world."

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/3553543 >>> http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Doral-Boa ... id=3553543

PostPosted: June 13th, 2019, 7:37 pm 

I just signed up here. Thanks for having me on the forum at myccr.

I'm a noob and would like to start a bit of tripping.

Thanks for discussing the 16' Cadorette symmetrical at 70lbs. Model C 161 I think
I'm looking at one at the moment.

I looked at a 14' Cadorette today and it weighed a ton. :o

PostPosted: June 14th, 2019, 5:35 am 

A long time ago. late sixties IIRC... i test-swamped a Moise Cadorette canoe to try a water re-entry... and it sank to the bottom of the lake. I could see air bubbles coming out of the flotation tanks. Fortunately it was only in about twenty feet of water and I was able to dive down and attach a line. Since then I wouldn't touch them with a stick... weight and seats also made for some poor construction. Maybe they've improved their build quality but some long-lasting brand recognition (certainly not loyalty) was established back then.