It is currently January 16th, 2022, 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2002, 3:29 pm 

My old cottager, a 14 foot sportspal, is going to be carrying me and my gear on a canoe trip this year. It has the heart and soul.. but needs a yoke and seats. Does anyone know if these are available for such a watercraft?

thanks

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2002, 7:04 pm 

John: If you contact Carl Crewson at Bay Distributors in Callander, he could tell you of the closest dealer to you. (705)752-2210
Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 24th, 2002, 9:24 am 

not sure if they sell this stuff individually, but they do sell canoe kits so they must have it. Check out:

Classic Boat Kits
Peter Schultz
4326 Armitage Ave.
R.R. #1 Dunrobin, ON
CANADA
K0A 1T0

voice: (613) 832-0881
fax: (613) 832-0072
email: canoe@cyberus.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 24th, 2002, 11:36 pm 

You will regret tripping with a sportspal.

Sorry to be harsh, but it is for your own good: get a real canoe.

Get an old beater or something that resembles the shape of a canoe. Sportspals are the anti-canoe. They are truly evil. Kids should never be exposed to them.

Don't do it! It hurts just to imagine a trip in sportspal.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HOOP_ on 2002-05-25 00:38 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2002, 1:31 am 

I have to agree with Hoop.

If you have a SportsPal Canoe then there is only one option. Lose the SportsPal at a yard-sale and buy a real canoe.

These beasties have been around for some time and how they survive is a mystery to me.

My friend uses an old SportsPal in his garden for planting herbs. It's full of dirt and is a befitting end for this style of canoe.

Try a good quality canoe, even if it means renting one. You'll be very impressed with the difference.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tripper on 2002-05-25 02:47 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2002, 5:18 am 

JdoubleU,

Many years ago I invited my brother-in-law and his son on a one week canoe trip to Algonquin. He paddled a Sportpal with his son and some gear.

After the second day I couldn't stand his cursing and swearing at his son because the young lad couldn't keep the canoe going straight, even thought the young lad was in the bow!!, that I insisted we swap canoes for the day. It did not take me long to understand his frustrations...it is almost impossible to keep a Sportspal going in a straight line.

Don't know what your circumstances are, but you may want to borrow or rent a canoe if you are going on an extended trip. On the other hand, if you have some long rough portaging you will appreciate a Sportspal.

Good luck and have fun on your trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2002, 10:14 am 
JdoubleU:

As you can see, even in the wilderness you'll find snobs.

Don't listen to them. I assume that you've had your Sportspal long enough to know how to paddle it in a straight line. Anyone with a modicum of skill should be able to do that.

Don't run rapids with it. Load and unload it while it's fully afloat. Bring along a fresh tube of liquid aluminum just in case. Yes it's more delicate than a Royalex canoe but it's also a hell of a lot easier to portage than anything else I've encountered.

I love to trot along the trail past the puffing, sweating stevadores manhandling their "state-of-the-art" boats while I wave to them with my free hand.

I've had the same 14-foot Sportspal for 27 years now. Looks a bit beat-up now, but I still love it.

(Yes, but surely he doesn't take it on wilderness trips?) Wrong! I've found it ideal for any solo trip of up to two weeks. I stay out of whitewater, but how much of that is there in Ontario anyway?

I wouldn't bother with a yoke -- just lash your paddles across the thwarts. I wrap a couple of foam pads around the paddles in the shoulder region (and sit on them while paddling).

I would recommend that you get a seat, though.

Try this e-mail address:

bwmarine@bwmarineproducts.com

This is the Sportspal parent company, and they'll be able to tell you where you can get seats in the Ottawa area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2002, 10:25 am 

A number of years ago, we were having lunch at the old ranger cabin on the way into Booth lake. A couple guys went by in a sportspal canoe. There was some kind of carriage that used big tires attached to the side, so they were obviously going into Shirley Lake, (you could drive a transport across that portage). But, they had their fishing rods and no other gear. Strange. A few minutes later another canoe went by, in the same condition. So now we were really confused. Four guys, and not so much as a cook stove. Maybe five minutes later two guys came by in an 15 foot aluminum fishing boat. One guy was rowing (with oars). It was packed to the gunnles with tents, coolers, tarps, lawn chairs, you name it. The other guy was sitting way up on a cooler in the back of the boat drinking a beer. I guess for me, sportspals will always be associated with the rowboat and the beer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2002, 1:21 pm 

Anonymous

If you consider my response snobish ... so be it! But have the courage to identify yourself!!

Have a nice day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2002, 3:52 pm 
Moef:

Didn't mean you. (Sorry if I impugned your paddling skill, though).

These, however, are the comments of "snobs" (politest word I could come up with):

"Sportspals are the anti-canoe. They are truly evil."

"My friend uses an old SportsPal in his garden for planting herbs. It's full of dirt and is a befitting end for this style of canoe."

This was in response to a man who asked a legitimate question about his boat, which he described as having heart and soul. He obviously doesn't think it's a piece of junk or that he's a buffoon for owning one.

The "firearms in the wilderness" thread didn't even sink to THAT level, fer Pete's sake!

I'll remain anonymous, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2002, 10:58 pm 
I have paddled in a SportsPal and speak with some sense of being there and done it. They suck, plain and simple.

A SportsPal is the not the canoe of choice for wilderness tripping.

I'd suggest that instead of finding new seats or a yoke, you may want to use the cash to invest in a new and useful canoe.

Just my thought for all it's worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26th, 2002, 8:49 pm 

My father owned a sportspal, so I feel qualified to speak to the question of the suitability of a sportspal for wilderness canoing.

I really think they are not suitable for wilderness canoing. They are remarkably difficult to paddle, compared to a real canoe. And I'd be really concerned about whether a 14' canoe is safe when loaded and carrying two people on any trip that's long enough that weather or wind becomes unavoidable.

My personal advice (not that anyone asked).... Keep the sportspal for puttering around in (for which it is certainly suitable). But if you're going to trip, rent a canoe. It's not *that* expensive to rent. And it would give you an perfect opportunity to decide for yourself what the relative merits of a sportspal are.

Call me a snob if you like. But I love this sport enough that I would hate to see anyone not discover the real joy of wilderness canoing because of a sportspal.

Regards,

Robin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2002, 1:02 pm 

Some interesting advice. Let me qualify by saying that, I do normally use a "real canoe" when I head out on canoe trips. I have however taken the sportspal out already on one short canoe trip last year (1 portage). It worked fine on small lakes and was really nice and light to portage. I am aware of the fact that they don't paddle well, they are ugly and wide.... and to me they scream "hunter"...but regardless they float. Please, all of you who are not fans of the Sportspal, be at rest, it is not my main tripping canoe and I will not be doing extended trips in it.... but it would be nice to outfit it at least with seats, if only for the cottage anyway.

The purpose of my post was to inquire about where I could purchase seats and a yoke for this odd canoe (not to start a brawl about whether or not people should use them for tripping) and that was answered already.
We all need to relax. Thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JdoubleU on 2002-05-27 14:04 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2002, 3:55 pm 

What is the definition of a " real canoe" ?
I would love to read it. Are there any other canoes that fall into the same catagory as a sportspal canoe ? Did the voyageurs use a real canoe ? Hmmm !

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2002, 7:23 pm 
Quote:
On 2002-05-27 14:02, JdoubleU wrote:
The purpose of my post was to inquire about where I could purchase seats and a yoke for this odd canoe (not to start a brawl about whether or not people should use them for tripping) and that was answered already.
We all need to relax. Thanks

JdoubleU, it is not very often you can get a simple answer in these forums without stirring up some controversy. Sorry, let me correct that. You can get a straight simple answer if the question you ask can only be answered with a simple straight forward answer. You might expect most questions can, but no. Especially when the question leaves open even the slightest chance of a rebuttal for any kind of "personal" choice, taste, viewpoints, preferences, etc; ect;

It's kind of the same thing Richard has been harping about when people write personal "feelings" regarding a particular company, outfitter, dealer etc; It's OK to say you don't like that particular company but you can't rant on and call them incompetent money stealing SOB's.

For someone to say they don't like the SportsPal is OK. For someone to suggest that it wouldn't be the best canoe to take tripping is also OK. But I agree with you, RELAX! There's no need to get the shotguns out. Notice the first two replys to your question were short straightforward answers. But then people just had to get their two cents in. That's what I'm doing right now. GIVE IT A BREAK!!!!!!! :mad: