It is currently August 14th, 2020, 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 15th, 2010, 10:21 am 

Hi board, Lurker here finally getting somewhere.. :D

My wife and I have been wanting and watching for a canoe for the last few years, this spring looks like it may actually happen.

We grew up paddling and camping throughout BC and want to have a canoe for paddling anything from the little duck ponds to some of the bigger interior lakes; ie kootenay and the arrows.

We have come accross a 16ft Clipper kevlar/duraflex Prospector with the works, This is the model /layup that I was hoping to find..

While telling a friend about it he offered us his Clipper Tripper; when it rains it pours right?

so now our debate is should I go with the kevlar/dur 16ft Prospector or the fiberglass layup 17.6 Tripper?

We plan on having kids and introducing them to paddling one day, and we also have a 50lb chocolate lab who will be accompaning us on all voyages :wink:

Thanks for any input you can muster,

Mike

PostPosted: April 15th, 2010, 10:45 am 

Get both! :thumbup:

I prefer the Prospector over the Tripper, but if you're talking about taking kids, a dog, and all the associated gear in one canoe I'm not sure a 16' will be big enough.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2010, 12:14 pm 

I think the Tripper will be a more stable 'big lake' canoe, we would be travelling with about 400lbs in it usually. my only concern is that it may be a handful if I were to try a solo paddle in it..

at the same time I have some WW kayak experience and maybe one day could talk my wife into a paddle down the South Thompson River.. so the Prospector would be better suited for that..

mike

PostPosted: April 15th, 2010, 12:41 pm 

Hey Mike, it's good to see you here!! :D :rofl:

I'd say go for the bigger canoe, my wife and I have a 16ft canoe.
and it just isn't big enough for 2 adults and 2 small dogs and a bunch of stuff..
The prospector would be great for solo... however, in the long run.. i think that extra 1.6ft of tripper will com real handy!

Jeff...

PostPosted: April 15th, 2010, 1:04 pm 

haha, wow that is a nice car there Jeff. :wink: what kind is it? lol

after looking at the Clipper site and reading reviews at paddling.net I am thinking the Tripper might be a better setup.

the Prospector is a beautiful boat though..

PostPosted: April 15th, 2010, 1:18 pm 

I'd go with the more versatile prospector.
You can trade for something bigger when the kids come and start growing up.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2010, 2:33 pm 

I have had both and currently own 2 clipper prospectors 16' and 17'. I Would choose a prospector over tripper for the stability factor and it will handle anything you throw at it. However I did move up to a 17 prospector because I needed more room than the 16 could give me. As well the kev/dur layup is extremely strong. I found the tripper to be a little too twitchy for my liking with a dog kids etc moving around.

Derrick

PostPosted: April 15th, 2010, 2:58 pm 

My very first canoe, purchased when I was 16, was a 16' Clipper Prospector. I still own this boat, paddle it regularly as a solo or tandem boat, and I dearly love my little red canoe. The Tripper is a phenomenal tripping boat and, when skillfully paddled, is a boat that I would not hesitate to runn through big water on lakes and rivers.

Although the Prospector is possibly the finest hull design in existence, I strongly encourage people to consider the Tripper if they will be paddling a fair bit of lake water. The 16' Prospector is much slower than the Tripper, and your arms will thank you after a long day of paddling, if you choose a Tripper. If the ability to ride big waves is a concern, consider the 17' Prospector, if efficiency is your concern, go with the Tripper. Just remember that the Tripper is a full 2' longer than the 16' Prospector and offers siginificant space and efficiency advantages.

The Tripper is definitely a high performance hull design, it is fast and is a littler squirrelly when you first start paddling due to it's narrow beam. In this sense, it is very similar to the Prospector. To gain the same speed in turning requires a very agressive lean to lift the bow/stern out of the water. If you are comfortable with aggressive paddling, the Tripper turns well.

The 17' Prospector is a huge boat in terms of volume and capability and will enable you to paddle on large lakes and rivers with comfort and security (using good judgement of course). Of these 3 boats, this is the one that I have the least experience with, but enough to be very satisfied with its' performance.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. If you decide you don't want the Prospector, pm me with the details, I might be interested. A person can always use a 6th canoe!

PostPosted: April 15th, 2010, 3:31 pm 

Thanks for all of the replies, I am definately torn between the shorter faster turning Prospector and the cruising Tripper.

the clipper compare chart; http://www.clippercanoes.com/canoe_selector.jpg
gives the Prospector16 7's for initial and secondary stability while the Tripper gets 9's. I've read opinions on the Tripper feeling squirrelly when its not weighted.. would the prospector feel better with 400lbs?

mike

PostPosted: April 15th, 2010, 4:11 pm 

I have never owned a Clipper canoe, but I have done at least a dozen trips in a 17' Prospector, 2 in a 14' Prospector, and 2 in a Tripper.

The Prospector is definitely more flexible in its use. I have paddled it mostly on rivers, and some on lakes. It excels on a river, keeping occupants quite dry in waves. On a lake it is fine, but is far from a fast tripping canoe.

The Tripper I have only paddled on flat water, and it does great there, handles a decent payload and is fairly fast. I would much rather use the Prospector for river travel. With one gung-ho friend who has one, the name 'Clipper Flipper' holds quite true. I have seen the underside of his canoe a few times. :lol:

What two of my friends use for flat water tripping now is the Sea Clipper. I have not paddled it, but they seem to move along quite quickly, and have a ton of capacity. They are not your lightweight paddler types though, and like to bring along the dog and lots of luxuries. ;)

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: April 15th, 2010, 4:45 pm 

The tripper definately feels more sturdy with some weight added however I find the prospector very sturdy empty and especially loaded. My 17 clipper prospector does paddle a fair bit more efficiently than my 16 but prob not as fast as the 17 tripper. I have paddled in very big swells with both the 16 and 17 prospectors with ease. It just rides up over the swells where as the tripper plowed through them taking on some water.

Derrick

PostPosted: April 15th, 2010, 5:43 pm 

I'd say both for sure. If you must choose, and you aren't really planning on running whitewater rivers, the Tripper gives you a bit more space and is much better on lakes.

Of course, if solo trips are in your plans, the Prospector will do that better.

Yup, both for sure.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2010, 5:56 pm 

Tough choice! The 16 foot Clipper Prospector is 15'9" so it is quite a small boat for what you are planning. I have a Clipper Tripper and have paddled some in the 17' Prospector. I find the Tripper to be a fine boat, able to handle most conditions. It can certainly haul a load. Good luck with your decision making.
Ralph

PostPosted: April 15th, 2010, 9:20 pm 

I'm gonna say go for the Prospector.

It's a better "all around" boat. Much better for a dog or young kids or just putzing around.
If you find you want something else later, then sell it. It will hold it's value. Better yet, keep it and get a Tripper too!

The Tripper will work for this, but it won't be as forgiving to grow into. All that being said, a Tripper was our first boat. We learned to paddle in it with our son and our 1(then 2) dog(s). The Tripper is our number one go to boat.

I think the Lab is the deal breaker. :lol: And you don't have kids yet, right?
I like the description.."a littler squirrelly" That nails it! :thumbup:

Borrow your friend's canoe for the one or two trips that your Prospector doesn't fit. I suspect it will fit most if not all.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2010, 8:26 am 

Haven't paddled a Clipper Tripper, but am surprised at it being described as "squirrely." Our first canoe had a markedly arched bottom, and didn't firm up until leaned about 40 degrees. Yet its motion was very reassuring. Sure, if the kids moved around, the boat moved a little more. You get used to that. I poled the boat, and the ability to easily adjust the lean of the boat was an advantage. And that arched bottom, along with sharp ends, made for speed.