It is currently August 4th, 2020, 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 16th, 2010, 9:50 am 

Thanks for all you input guys, we are still deciding what to do;
here is the Prospector: :D

Last edited by vicali on April 19th, 2010, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2010, 4:01 pm 

That's close to the least Prospector-ish prospector I've seen. :roll:

PostPosted: April 16th, 2010, 6:32 pm 

You say you will usually be traveling with 400lbs? So that includes both paddlers, dog and gear? Or is this for day trips with no gear? Either way, the prospector will handle 400lbs without an issue, even if it is a smallish 15'9". How excitable is your dog? It may take a few trips before he learns the rules of the canoe.

If you are planning river trips I would lean towards the prospector. I often load my prospector (16' cedar strip based on the plans in CanoeCraft) much heavier than that (up to 600lbs?) and handles it without a problem.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2010, 9:42 am 

So we are still debating between these two boats;
the main issue is my wife is concerned that the Prospector is going to be 'tippy'.. on Westerns rating sheet it gets a 7 vs the Trippers 9..

We'll see how our dog handles being in a boat, in the car she is laying down chilled out as soon as we start moving, hopefully it carries over. :lol:

PostPosted: April 19th, 2010, 11:12 am 

Put your wife in the stern.

There is more going on here than "tippiness" of a boat.

Contrary to popular demand women do not have eyes in the back of their heads. :rofl:

And when you and the dog roll around, the trust factor is zero. She cant see what you two are doing.

In all seriousness this has worked for many a canoeing couple when the understand the man is the engine and goes in the bow and the woman does not need the strength of an engine to steer. And she feels much bettter.

Last edited by redsoxnation on April 19th, 2010, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2010, 11:36 am 

Have you noticed about Western's rating sheet that they favour the tripper?

For one thing, there are the very subjective measures like suitable for tripping, family etc.. Then, if two factors like manueverability and tracking are opposed, the total value should be the same. I.e., if a boat gets 9 on tracking and 5 on manuevering, another boat ought not get 8 on each, as it should be a zero sum. It is unlikely that a boat could both track better and manuever better than another, assuming good designs on each.

I think they just like the Tripper over at Clipper.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2010, 12:14 am 

Marketing man... marketing. I'm sure 75% of them Trippers never see quality use. :roll:

Seriously though, the chart is a loose guide.

You also have to compare the hulls in their respective categories with the respective paddlers. The 16 Prospector is in the general recreation category. To say the Prospector 16 gets a 7 for stability means that if a novice paddler jumped in that boat he/she would think that it gets a 7 out of 10.

Now the Tripper is in the Wilderness category. Usually, you wouldn't have a novice buying this type of boat because of different characteristics. (rounded hulls, high volume hulls, etc...) So now if an experienced paddler jumped in this boat he/she would give it a 9 because, for a tripping hull, it's great for stability. Though I would give it an 8 for initial. :D Whereas, if a novice jumped in a Tripper (and I've seen it! :lol: ) he/she would probably give it a 5 or 6 because it's so rolley polley at rest.

The 16 Prospector is a great design. Easy to get comfy in and hard to outgrow.
The Tripper would take, some people, some time to get comfy. But once you're comfy, it's incredible.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2010, 12:39 am 

take the time..

to grow...

and enjoy a lifetime.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2010, 10:41 am 

littleredcanoe wrote:
take the time.. to grow... and enjoy a lifetime.

We will, in our new 16 Prospector; :thumbup:
we brought it home last night along with a pile of Mason books and videos.. everything including the rack off their garage wall came with it.. So excited..

mike

PostPosted: April 20th, 2010, 11:12 am 

Woo Hoo!!! :thumbup:

Good score on the goodies as well.
Hope to see some pics in action.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2010, 11:39 pm 

Congrats on the purchase. I'm sure you will be very pleased with it, especially in that lay up. Also could not go wrong with all those extras it came with for that price.

Derrick

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2010, 10:35 am 

Ordered a mess of Yakima gear for both the westfalia and the forester. should be to the headed to the lake soon..

PostPosted: June 5th, 2020, 4:37 pm 

Hey Everyone, it's been a minute..

So I came in here ten years ago asking about what boat to buy, I like to think you all help point me in the right direction and we ended up with the Clipper Prospector.

It's been a beautiful boat, in fact it has done everything we've asked of it and still is amazing to look at and a joy to paddle.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iZYZTz]Image

About those kids.. Our son is 8, our daughter is 6. Both love canoeing and suggest we go paddling every chance we get. They are both getting bigger and getting less comfy squeezing between the thwarts though..

So we are back looking for another boat. But there is not a chance that we would let our Prospector go.. We're going to need to add a second canoe to our fleet.

Back to the Tripper search, except that last summer we were camped at Kokanee Creek and I spend a bit looking over the Hellman boat that was being raffled off; It was a beautiful Slocan, and I was impressed with the build and loved everything about it. We didn't win it, but the Hellman idea was firmly planted in my head.

So the plan is to order up a Cruiser from Hellman, probably early next spring to have it ready for next season. It will take over family-truckster duties and leave the Prospector available for when it's the two of us, or once the kids get big enough to row their own boat.

I laughed reading the comments on this old thread telling me to get both ten years ago!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2020, 10:35 am 

Great update. With the way kids grow will the cruiser accomodate all of you for long? What about splitting the adults and going with two similar sized boats?

With the Clipper how is it wearing seeing interior BC action?? I considered looking at Clippers but the T Formex of the Esquifs attracted me.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2020, 12:41 pm 

Kevlar is holding up great, I'm cringy with it while kids are getting in/out but so far it's had no issues. I'm sure there are a few more scratches than when we got it but not many.

My plan for the Cruiser would be we could all go in it for a few more years, then we could split between the two boats like you mentioned.. Although we would have to figure out the transport.

I've been watching Slocan/Murtle videos on youtube and getting ideas..