It is currently May 19th, 2019, 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pine Tree Canoe
PostPosted: October 1st, 2013, 10:21 am 

Ive been given a canoe from my nieghbour to use on the Montreal River. It was made by Pinetree Industries Barrie Ont. I was wondering if anyone knows an history about this company.

Post subject: Re: Pine Tree Canoe
PostPosted: October 1st, 2013, 11:01 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Google search:

first result:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/ccc/srch/nvgt.d ... 1&app=sold

Quote:
During the late 70's, we acquired the Rice Lake Canoe Company which brought with it a rich history of the Canadian Canoe along with its traditional wooden designs.

Around the same time, we also acquired the Pinetree Canoe company of Orillia, Ontario, which was noted for producing the ultimate in Kevlar-epoxy lightweight canoes.

So you might want to contact Voyageur Canoe:

http://www.voyageurcanoe.com/

PostPosted: October 4th, 2013, 6:19 pm 

I finally remembered to look at the Brosius and Leroy book from 1978 that I have. There is an entry for Pinetree canoes of Orillia. Their boats were all Kevlar 49 and epoxy with sitka spruce inwale snt white ash outwales, black cherry decks, maple thwarts with rawhide seats. They say that there are three lints.... Abatibi in 14, 15, 16 17 and 17'6" foot lengths with 36-39 inch widths for large capacity. The Ojibway 16'4" has a 32 inch beam and is intended for river running and racing with a sharp bow, and the Algonkin is a 12'8 sport cruising canoe.

PK

PostPosted: September 5th, 2018, 1:24 pm 

Several Pinetree canoes were purchased from Joe Charles in the '70s by a number of us in Marathon, Ont. There were at least 3 Abitibi models, mine (richard dickson) a 16 foot,kevlar, my cousin Bill a 15, Bill Wyatt of Pukaskwa Park a 17 and/or 17.6 for Lake Superior, our local doctor Marty Holmes (not sure which one he and Emily used. May have been some more - these were the early days before Pukaskwa became official. At the time these were the cream of the crop, costing a whopping $1000 in 1970's dollars! The company broke up shortly after due to marital break up, with Glen Fallis of Voyageur taking over canoe molds and some other technology items - you would have to call Glen directly at Voyageur to find out more. My Pinetree has had several repairs (1 by Glen Fallis in the 70's) and an extensive repair about 5 years ago ( new gunwhales and paint). I am just returning from a trip with it up the Bremner River near White River. Still paddles well, though it has gained a little weight over the years, it is still portageable. Richard