It is currently August 21st, 2019, 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 24th, 2016, 2:22 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
[quote=I don't think so.

Yeah I looked it up, it must have been a five year warranty. Once again history altered by time.
I'm a big Pat's fan so I like to keep it a little under inflated which may have contributed to its longevity.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2016, 2:46 pm 

I'm so glad I bought a Thermarest Mondoking this year......it replaced my 25 year old Camprest that never leaked or failed in any way in spite of massive amounts of abuse. Even if the Mondo did leak it's so plush that without any air it's almost as good as my old Camprest!

PostPosted: January 9th, 2017, 12:06 pm 

Mine is (was) at least 5 years old. Several weeks back I came across this thread and remembered I was having leaking problems last summer.

I called them up and explained the situation to them. According to their instructions I shipped it to them and paid them for return shipping. They said they would repair it.

A few days ago I received a brand new one. Thanks Watersong for the suggestion
and thank you exped.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2017, 12:28 pm 

bearburrito wrote:
I'm a big Pat's fan so I like to keep it a little under inflated which may have contributed to its longevity.

You can stay :rofl: Everyone else must go except for Pack fans.. :lol:

See world.. We aren't always full of hot air!

PostPosted: June 27th, 2018, 7:11 pm 

Like Cheryl, I had an Exped (downmat 7) that blew a baffle just over the 5 year mark. When I was out last October, it was fine. Warranty expired in December. When I was out again with it in May of this year, the baffle blew. I have read some fine reports elsewhere of Exped being very accommodating and kind and understanding - but all of them seem to be from the United States. I found the official Canadian Supplier for warranty claims (In-Sport Fashions) to be incredibly smug about the issue - they first told me that the solution was to "buy a new one." After some discussion they offered me one at about 50% off, but at 50% off a comparable one would still be more than I paid for the Downmat 7 just over five years ago. (They have really gone up in price.)

I have determined that I will likely never buy another product from Exped again & I decided to just buy a Thermarest (Neoair) instead because both my Thermarests have never given me trouble. One is about 25 years old, and the other is over 10 years old. And at least Thermarest warranties the product/stands behind it. This baffle blowing issue appears to be a big problem with Exped mats. Be cautious.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2018, 11:04 pm 

Exped is such a crap company. I have two of their "high end" pads and both leak like crazy and with EXTREMELY minimal use.

I recently picked up a crappy tire Woods pad. Gonna give it a go. For $60.00 it could be a winner!

PostPosted: June 28th, 2018, 11:06 pm 

I should add I have a thermorest NEO pad and it rocks. Have had it on multiple paddling trips and winter camping. My dog shares it with me (I end up on the tent floor!).

What makes me nervous is when it does go, it has no foam so your Laying on the hard ground....which is why I picked up the Woods pad that is self inflating and foam.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2018, 10:05 am 

The thing about the Neo is that "when it goes" it will probably just have a small hole in it that can be patched with the patch kit that can be carried along on trips.

Expeds have baffles that go and they cannot be fixed regardless of whether you're on a trip or not.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2018, 4:41 am 

Hey Brad. Had the same problem as you. I had bought mine at the MEC. They took it back no questions asked. I also opted for a Neoair with my refund.

GG

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com
http://www.geraldguay.ca

PostPosted: August 9th, 2018, 11:21 am 

Leaky mats were pretty much the main reason I switched to a hammock and down underquilt. I went through a Big Anges pad, two Expeds and a Thermarest pad over the years and got to the point where I was bringing a back up pad just in case. With the hammock and down underquilt there is no worry about leaks (although you have to take steps to ensure it stays dry). I've pretty much even switched to the hammock on winter camping trips as well...

My Website: http://www.elmsphotography.ca
My Blog: http://www.elmsphotography.blogspot.com

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 3:03 pm 

We had a pinhole leak in the Exped Synmat. So pinhole we could not find it. It would softly deflate to fifty percent volume over three hours.. This meant at least one getting up and reinflating..
Could NOT find the leak.
Sent to Exped and had them find it.. It came back with a patch only about.75 cm in diameter.

I will say there was no charge and no question on the date of purchase of the Synmat.

We have had a lot of blowout baffles and have gotten at least 2 replacements. This leak almost led to an Exped divorce but since they were so nice.

Maybe the marriage will continue

Last edited by littleredcanoe on September 17th, 2018, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 4:52 pm 

On my recent trip out of Lac aux Sables I had similar problems with my Windcatcher Airpad2. I bought 2 of them over a year ago and we've used them for about 50 nights each. Like the 2nd gen. Neo-airs they have a fast blow-in- from-a-few-inches-away inflation system. Once inflated they can be "fine-tuned" by adding air through the traditional 2-way valves found on self-inflating thermarests and other products. In the beginning I was ecstatic. My tripping future was being transformed and my back and hips were nodding in enthusiastic agreement.The blow-from-afar principle had great exposure on Shark Tank a few years ago, but the story, for a number of reasons, isn't a happy one. One problem was proprietary issues with other technology-snatching sleeping pad manufacturers, i.e. the biggies. Yes, these models are easy to inflate. The inflation flap opening gets rolled down similar to how one rolls down to seal the flaps of a Sealline dry bag. The loft and comfort are amazing. I seriously considered getting rid of my "old-school" scrawny self-inflating Thermarests I was so spoiled by the luxury and small weight and bulk of the new product. Unfortunately, however, the pretty blue pad soon began to show me another side of herself. (Grey, by the way!) She liked to deflate during the night on average 1 night out of 3. I concluded that the weakness is in the roll-down flap and found that by rolling the flap less tight rather than more tight (absolutely counter-intuitive!) I could decrease the fail rate. Up until this recent 8-night trip. Total deflation every single night every 2.5 hours. Not fun! Re-inflating 2-3 times before morning was more than a little annoying. I tested the mattress thoroughly by submerging it in crystal-clear lake water and seeking a hint of bubble. Nothing. Again at home in the bathtub. No bubble. Nothing. I googled until I felt downright googly. Research and more torment ensued. I'm testing them both out on my LR floor as I write this. One is bad, the other seems to be holding its air. Hmm. I suspect the inflation flap is a beautiful idea, a little like collective farming, but a beautiful idea that just doesn't work in real life. Water makes its way into roll-down dry bags, so why would mere air, and that's air under pressure of a reclining adult body, resist the yearning to find a way out of there? I'm researching a replacement pad and have so far tried a borrowed Nemo. Very good, but my faith in "air" has been badly shaken. Plainly put, I am baffled. (no pun intended!) I still trust self-inflating Thermarests, however, and am glad I didn't get rid of mine. You never know how good a product is until you use it a lot. Enthusiastic reviews shared by ecstatic owners of brand new stuff are misleading and wearying. I will now have to build a triple-layer thermarest platform to begin to rival the comfort of my short-lived experiment with air. Now where did I put that velcro??

PostPosted: September 18th, 2018, 3:18 pm 

I've been using exped megamat for 3 yrs now roughly 30 nights per year with no problems (touch wood). Nearly half of those nights are with 4 young kids that think of the 5" thick pad as a trampoline no matter how many times I threaten them with discipline! Thankfully it still holds up perfectly.

We also have an exped downmat that is still fine but only sees half the useage.

After reading so many horror stories about waking up on the cold ground, I generally stow along a Klymit V2 as a backup because it packs up smaller than a coke can.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2018, 1:21 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
Between 2010 and 2015 we regularly sent in mats for replacement under warranty.. Last summer one blew again... ( and we never jumped on them.. Its like a gunshot when you roll over and a baffle blows). That was enough. Even though we were in Canada where sticker shock rules we bought a Sea To Summit at Ramakkos in Sudbury.. ( I like that store. It would have been too easy to dump a grand there)
Comfort Plus mat.. its got a different design and a two sides inflated independently. A blowout now would affect a much smaller area.

Brad Thomas wrote:
Like Cheryl, I had an Exped (downmat 7) that blew a baffle just over the 5 year mark. When I was out last October, it was fine. Warranty expired in December. When I was out again with it in May of this year, the baffle blew. I have read some fine reports elsewhere of Exped being very accommodating and kind and understanding - but all of them seem to be from the United States. I found the official Canadian Supplier for warranty claims (In-Sport Fashions) to be incredibly smug about the issue - they first told me that the solution was to "buy a new one." After some discussion they offered me one at about 50% off, but at 50% off a comparable one would still be more than I paid for the Downmat 7 just over five years ago. (They have really gone up in price.)

ARRRGGGHHH!

My Exped Downmat 9, Pump DLX blew the centre baffle over the full length a couple of weeks ago. Just like littleredcanoe, I woke in the morning, rolled over to check the time and BANG! Well, more like a balloon popping than a gunshot but right away I knew what it was.

I contacted Exped (via In-Sport like BT did) by email and they confirmed by the serial number that is was a 2010 pad and not repairable. Basically "Too bad, so sad". I didn't request any courtesy discount but had hoped they would step up with something. I didn't push the issue, however, as I had bought it used in 2013 for $15 at the MEC gear swap. It certainly didn't owe me anything. It had a pinhole leak in the corner when I bought it that a drop of seam sealer fixed right up and never gave me a problem since and it was used quite a bit. It is actually still usable as I like it only partially inflated so the bulge in the centre isn't really an issue. Maybe also because I am a side-sleeper. I'd buy a new one if not for the price. I don't think I could justify paying that much regardless of the quality.