It is currently June 18th, 2019, 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 21st, 2017, 1:59 am 

Eureka... have two. The el capitain3 is bombproof. Have had no grief with either. Bought a screen house per my SO and its great for car camping

PostPosted: August 21st, 2017, 10:49 am 

Alex1 wrote:
Eureka... have two. The el capitain3 is bombproof. Have had no grief with either. Bought a screen house per my SO and its great for car camping

I agree. Right now I'm using the El Capitain 2. I had the El Capitain 3 but leant it out to somebody and they lost most of it. I don't think you can beat Eureka for price and quality. If you can would like to hear it.

PostPosted: August 21st, 2017, 11:34 am 

ya I have been using the El Capitain3 for three years now with my girlfriend. not a single issue with it at all, has always kept us dry.
the cheapest tent at MEC is the MSR Elixir 3, sure is lighter but its not gonna keep you dryer then the El Capitain by looking at the reviews.

I really want to get their new "NoBugZone" bug shelter, looks like it could come in handy in the spring time :D

Last edited by Rawcardo on August 21st, 2017, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 21st, 2017, 2:05 pm 

Sam82 wrote:
I don't think you can beat Eureka for price and quality. If you can would like to hear it.

your probably right, but after looking at how the 2man Naturehike tent is built I think I will also be buying the 3man version. At half the weight of the El Capitan, for the price its worth giving it a shot.
it will definitely see more use then the 2man and I will let you guys know how it held up at the end of next years season.

And I'm not a big fan of Eurekas light weight tents. I don't like those extra pole thingys they put at the bottom of the vestibule. If not for those extra poles I would get it instead. mind you that's only a personal preference and I'm sure the tents work great.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2017, 2:44 pm 

Rawcardo wrote:
Oh man that sucks... any chance it might still turn up?

They found the tent and I just got notification that they are sending me a new tent and rain fly under warranty. Makes me happy as I don't have to spend another cent. Woo

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2017, 3:40 pm 

I think it's absurd to pay big bucks or small bucks for an ultralight tent for wilderness tripping. Aiming for the lightest possible materials means a trade off for strength and durability. A tent needs to shelter you in the worst possible weather, not just perform nicely in ideal weather. I used to like Mountain Hardwear Tents, but much of their product line is getting lighter, flimsier (and shorter) to compete with the likes of Big Agnes and MSR (though I did acquire a wonderfully tough Trango 2 last year). While the market segment for "weekend warriors" from NYC doing 1-3 night trips in the Adirondacks may be the largest and most lucrative market segment, I'm not in that segment. Even the very best and most rugged tents for wilderness trips are darn cheap if you compare them to hotel prices for trips of similar duration. Add to that how long they last and they are dirt cheap. I have a Mountain Hardwear Skyview 2 that I bought in 2003, and it's still going strong.

One thing I did not see in this thread is any mention of manufacturing ethics. Sometimes rock bottom pricing goes hand in hand with appalling work conditions and near slave labor.

Most of the world's political, social, and environmental problems have the same root cause: human overpopulation. By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2017, 8:28 pm 

SteveBoal wrote:
One thing I did not see in this thread is any mention of manufacturing ethics. Sometimes rock bottom pricing goes hand in hand with appalling work conditions and near slave labor.

you have a point to a certain degree. but take this in for a second...
~your a company that establishes a name for itself in America by making American made products.
~you sell these products at a premium because they are American made.
~then you fire all your American production workers and move production to china.
~you maintain this premium price even thought now the tents cost you a fraction of the money to make.
How ethical is that?

ok now take this in...
~your a Chinese tent production plant owner making tents for this American based company.
~you see a %500-%700 up charge on the tents you are manufacturing.
~these tents are to expensive for most people and sales are not very high.
~do you send your already poor workers home, or do you find a way to keep them employed?
~do you think the Chinese production worker sees more money or has better work conditions because he is working on a American brand tent?

In my opinion the American company is more ethically challenged then the Asian company.
not only is he contributing to "appalling work conditions and near slave labor"...
they are also removing jobs from the American people AND at the same time ripping us all off.

Here is a quote from another forum that I found
"Making merchandise in China and selling it here for high prices as if it were made in the US is not a sustainable business strategy. I work for a large multi-national company who does just that. The Chinese are not stupid, and know how to get around patents and business arrangements, legally or not. If you are selling a tent for $400 while paying them less than $100 to manufacture, they will cut out the middleman - you. They will soon be making your tent under another brand name, at their own factory or a subcontractor, and undercutting your price. If you sue for patent infringement, that brand will disappear, and another brand of identical tent will pop up a week later. Big Agnes becomes Little Agnes."

When I can afford it, I enjoy buying ethically produced stuff.
When I cant afford it, I enjoy buying honestly priced stuff.
If a company cant be ethical or honest why continue to buy from that company?

In my opinion the big culprit behind these ethical problems are big box stores that force American industries overseas, and promote products that yield them the most profits.

Last edited by Rawcardo on August 23rd, 2017, 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2017, 9:16 pm 

newbman wrote:
Rawcardo wrote:

They found the tent and I just got notification that they are sending me a new tent and rain fly under warranty. Makes me happy as I don't have to spend another cent. Woo

And we have a winner with the final answer to the proposed question.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 10:27 am 

newbman wrote:
Rawcardo wrote:

Glad it worked out for you, Newbman!

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 6:31 pm 

Algonquintripper wrote:
newbman wrote:
Rawcardo wrote:

Glad it worked out for you, Newbman!

Thank you. New tent was received today via FedEx and I am in business again. I only got a new tent and rainfly. The poles, pegs etc all remain my original ones.

:clap:

PostPosted: July 28th, 2018, 11:16 am 

For anyone interested there is a facebook group dedicated to personal experiences with these off-brand dirt-cheap tents and other products. People post their personal experiences with the different Naturehike, 3F UL and other brands. It is a great source of information if you are considering one of these cost saving products. From what I've seen so far most of that stuff seems to perform well.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/631912487145664/

PostPosted: July 29th, 2018, 4:35 pm 

Prospector16 wrote:
For anyone interested there is a facebook group dedicated to personal experiences with these off-brand dirt-cheap tents and other products. People post their personal experiences with the different Naturehike, 3F UL and other brands. It is a great source of information if you are considering one of these cost saving products. From what I've seen so far most of that stuff seems to perform well.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/631912487145664/

Sweet!!! Thank you for the link!

I'm buying a protex tent this week. I'm done forking out hundreds of dollars for name brand tents! Eureka is as "name" as I'll go...

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 4:35 pm 

Walmart is clearing out similar backpacking tents right now for incredibly low prices. I ordered one of the two man $21 tents as a back up/loaner. We will see about the quality when it arrives.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11914703-ozark ... re-pick-up?

PostPosted: August 19th, 2018, 11:28 am 

After three decades with a cheap leaky tent I got a Hilleberg Staika. I wonder why I waited so long. With cheap tents the rainfly is attached last. When erecting the tent in a driving rain the contents are soaked by the time the rainfly is attached. With the Staika the contents are protected as soon as the tent is spread over the contents, even before the poles are inserted.

Douglas