It is currently January 23rd, 2021, 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 10th, 2018, 9:22 pm 

Hi All

I have 2 separate Royalex canoes with 2 different issues
The 1st canoe hit a very sharp rock and gouged the side of the canoe tearing thru the outer vinyl. It also pushed a ridge into the inside of the canoe. No thru holes. What can be done to fix this problem?
The second canoe is suffering from delamination in several areas. The outer vinyl is delaminating from the core material and it easily torn as shown in the pics. What can be done width this issue?

I have many miles on these canoes but would like to extend the life if possible.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2018, 9:18 am 

Looks like two canoes that have a lot of miles left in them.

Others may have a more educated/experienced response but I would buy some S-glass and G/Flex. Cut back any vinyl that has lifted on the peeling canoe. Try to use a little glass as filler on the gouged canoe. Put a layer or two of the s-glass over each damaged section.

Some might worry about the repair slowing the boat down but I think Royalex boats are slow to begin with; paddle harder.

On my first trip with my T-Formex Pocket Canyon I punched a hole through the top layers and into the foam. I put some glass in the hole then s-glass over top then a kevlar felt skid plate (the hole was where the skid plate should be). I was planning on putting the skid plate on anyway and was just waiting for good weather. I used West Systems 105/206 because I had it on hand and the boat is doing just fine.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2018, 2:28 pm 

I would do this "buy some S-glass and G/Flex" and this "use a little glass as filler on the gouged canoe. Put a layer or two of the s-glass over each damaged section" and "Cut back any vinyl that has lifted on the peeling canoe".

You might find you need to add a new layer of s-glass every so often (annually depending on usage).

PostPosted: May 11th, 2018, 11:22 pm 

What they said.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2018, 7:09 am 

Thanks everyone. I will give this a try