It is currently November 17th, 2019, 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 13th, 2018, 12:12 pm 

I lost my morakniv carbon bushcraft knife in the last canoe trip last year. My brother had it on him and his canoe capsized. I was devastated!

So, need another knife, one that maybe doesn't cost $$90 like the morakniv. Something that's used primarily for carving (making a wooden wedge, for example) and making firewood (batonning, shaving, etc.)

Also, a hatchet that I can take with me on a canoe trip. Seems silly to me to make firewood by just batoning, but that's what I've been doing for the past decade.

And finally, a saw. I've been using this for the past couple of years, but don't really like it: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5046-176/ ... e-Camp-Saw
Maybe it's my sawing technique that sucks, I don't know, but the saw kept getting stuck. A friend had a smaller flip saw and I had less trouble sawing through thick hard wood compared to the one I had.

Thanks

PostPosted: June 13th, 2018, 1:31 pm 

I've been using the Agawa Canyon Boreal 2, and have had no complaints with it. It eats through wood, and they have a few types of blades that you can change depending on your needs. IMO it is light, but I could see how it would be "bulkier" than a hand saw. For a hand saw, I've heard things about the silky hand saw. Thats what I'm looking at, for my inevitable next splurge on camping equipment.

As for a knife, I have a Helle Gaupe, which fits very nicely for my sausage fingers. Its very well built, and the handle is nice looking. At $150 though, I'd see how its expensive though. For well built inexpensive knives, I've heard good things about Mora knives.

Finally, I have a Condor axe, which has served me well, but my biggest complaint is that they don't sell any corresponding replacement axe masks, and they can only recommend you to a couple US based leather workers. I ended up finding a third party axe mask that fit.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2018, 1:45 pm 

For saws I usually either take the Bacho or Agawa or just as often I take no saw and just break up the wood between a pair of closely growing trees.

I personally don't really like hatchets, just seem too dangerous. I do have a Gransfors Burk Wildlife Hatchet that I take with me when I feel I need one, but usually as I'm trying to split some red oak up I'm wishing I had picked up a splitting hatchet instead.

For a knife I have settled with a Svord Farmers knife, I find it suits me and is mostly everything I'm looking for in a knife. I did however throw away the sheath is came with (I'm a lefty and it wasn't the least bit ambidextrous) and removed the slippery varnish that the handle was covered in.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2018, 4:11 pm 

Axe - Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe. Not a full size. Very portable with lots of utility. Much more useful than a hatchet.

Saw - Bob Dustrude Folding Bucksaw. The 24" is a great size.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: June 13th, 2018, 4:22 pm 

Is weight a factor for you?

Best hatchet http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... at=1,41131

I've seen similar saws to the one you posted and they seem to work well. Like Sven saw.

You talking belt knife or folding knife?

PostPosted: June 13th, 2018, 4:42 pm 

Petit.Conan wrote:

For a knife I have settled with a Svord Farmers knife, I find it suits me and is mostly everything I'm looking for in a knife. I did however throw away the sheath is came with (I'm a lefty and it wasn't the least bit ambidextrous) and removed the slippery varnish that the handle was covered in.

The knife seems to have an odd bend to it. Have you done any batoning with it? Any issues?

Quote:
Is weight a factor for you?

Size is more of a factor than weight, I would say. But sure, who doesn't want to keep the weight down as much as possible? Your axe is a bit lighter than the Gränsfors small forest axe, so that's nice!

PostPosted: June 13th, 2018, 4:45 pm 

Get a small axe if you are trying to avoid batonning wood with your knife, otherwise you'll just be batonning a small hatchet. This is the axe I have. Bought it from Amazon.com a number of years ago before it was available up here, had it delivered to a friend in Rochester who muled it up here for me. Trying to remember where I scored a leather sheath for it as the plastic jobbie it comes with blows.

https://www.amazon.ca/Fiskars-378531-50 ... dpSrc=srch (Also available at Crappy Tire for $15 more)

BTW, I always split wood kneeling while back country. With a mis-strike, the path of the swing will take the axe-head into the dirt, rather than into my shin as when standing.

Buck 119 for a knife. I think Sam92's bear story made more than a few of us here converts.

I've tried a number of folding saws and buck saws, but like you I can't seem to keep them from binding. I'm now using a 21" commercial pruning saw (cuts on the pull stroke) that I also ordered from Amazon.com for $40ish USD at the same time as the axe. You can get an 18" version now @ Lowe's.

https://www.amazon.ca/Corona-RS-7160-21 ... runing+saw

https://www.lowes.ca/trimming-tools/cor ... erm=corona

Fits nicely with the axe under the side compression straps of my canoe pack. Not the lightest bits of kit, but they sure make camp life easier.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2018, 5:18 pm 

I feel you. I go camping to relax and enjoy, and usually stay in one spot (though my next trip after the upcoming one will be a 5-day loop). And to me, enjoyment and relaxation means having a large enough tarp to protect myself from the rain, having good food, plenty of firewood, and lots of DEET! Oh, and ethanol for drin... err, first aid, of course

PostPosted: June 13th, 2018, 7:02 pm 

sepandee wrote:

The knife seems to have an odd bend to it. Have you done any batoning with it? Any issues?

I find it batons very well. I like the solid landing spot for the baton at the end of the curve. The curve also to me makes it feel very strong in the hand. I've had it for a few years now and it's always the one I take when out canoeing or backpacking.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2018, 7:11 pm 

I've used the Fiskars above and it is a good axe.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2018, 9:20 am 

I find that a saw and hatchet is a bit overkill unless you're setting up base camp.

I like the Agawa Boreal saw. Absolutely eats through wood.

A friend has the Silky Pocket Boy saw which does a great job for the size and weight, bu takes a bit getting used to (it only cuts on the pull stroke).

PostPosted: June 14th, 2018, 9:55 am 

I'm still using the traditional saw:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page ... 2706,40721

And a fancy hatchet:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... at=1,41131

For a knife I only bring the one on my multitool.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2018, 12:52 pm 

I've used the Silky type saws a lot and they work well. And Silky has replaceable blades unlike the cheaper ones.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2018, 2:44 pm 

Bahco Laplander is a terrific saw if one finds 7" blade sufficient for his purposes, as I do. It's so efficient that even for trailwork it's mostly sufficient.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 6:07 pm 

open_side_up wrote:
Get a small axe if you are trying to avoid batonning wood with your knife, otherwise you'll just be batonning a small hatchet. This is the axe I have. Bought it from Amazon.com a number of years ago before it was available up here, had it delivered to a friend in Rochester who muled it up here for me. Trying to remember where I scored a leather sheath for it as the plastic jobbie it comes with blows.

https://www.amazon.ca/Fiskars-378531-50 ... dpSrc=srch (Also available at Crappy Tire for $15 more)

BTW, I always split wood kneeling while back country. With a mis-strike, the path of the swing will take the axe-head into the dirt, rather than into my shin as when standing.

Buck 119 for a knife. I think Sam92's bear story made more than a few of us here converts.

I've tried a number of folding saws and buck saws, but like you I can't seem to keep them from binding. I'm now using a 21" commercial pruning saw (cuts on the pull stroke) that I also ordered from Amazon.com for $40ish USD at the same time as the axe. You can get an 18" version now @ Lowe's.

https://www.amazon.ca/Corona-RS-7160-21 ... runing+saw

https://www.lowes.ca/trimming-tools/cor ... erm=corona

Fits nicely with the axe under the side compression straps of my canoe pack. Not the lightest bits of kit, but they sure make camp life easier.

Ended up getting the FIskars axe. Thanks to you and everyone else for their recommendations!

The saw, I'll borrow my friend's Bacho folding saw. Used it last year, it's so-so, but better than mine. Anyways, I hate sawing with a passion.

For the knife, was going to go with the Buck 119, but read a lot of negative reviews saying it's not sharp or needs sharpening, and that people broke theirs while batoning. I'm guessing they don't know how to baton, but I also presume you're satisfied with yours? Canadian Tire has it at around $50, so it's pretty easy to get and relatively cheap.