It is currently May 21st, 2019, 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 3:43 pm 

open_side_up wrote:
Does everyone find that a 10 x 10 or a 9x12 is sufficient to adequately cover 6 campers (maybe in chairs), gear and protect the fire too from a blowing rain? I like mine a little bigger, hence the 12 x 14.

Put in perspective, I use a 9' x 9' (81 sq. feet) silnylon for solo use. It's a perfectly suited size, and keeps me and my gear dry in all kinds of storms. It has a center loop which helps rig it up well for headroom. (I also carry an emergency shelter nylon tarp that's even smaller @ 6' x 6')

But these small sizes are unsuited for groups. I would double the square footage at least.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 4:01 pm 

... so the reason I was asking about size is because everyone's been touting the MEC Guides tarp, but as good as it is, at 9.5 x 12.5, it's not really large enough for the OP's requirements, right?

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 4:10 pm 

Hi sepandee,
I sprung for a CCS tarp last year. 15x15. We used it 13 times on an 11 day trip - 3 people. I agree with the others that 10x10 is too small for a 6 person group.
There were a couple of occasions that 15x15 was too large for the area we had to put the tarp up, but with all the various rigging options we were able to make it work.
So far I'm very satisfied with the purchase.
rab

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 4:24 pm 

https://www.aquaquest.ca/tarps-tents/#guide

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 4:48 pm 

open_side_up wrote:
... so the reason I was asking about size is because everyone's been touting the MEC Guides tarp, but as good as it is, at 9.5 x 12.5, it's not really large enough for the OP's requirements, right?

I guess not. The Guide (12.79' x 9.51') is 121 sq. ft. Good enough for 4 people, not 6.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 4:52 pm 

sturgeon wrote:

I've been eyeballing these for a while. They look impressive, especially with all the tie outs. Prices on Amazon.ca seem a little better than on the website. Anybody have actual experience with these?

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 5:56 pm 

god*amn tarps are expensive!

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 6:14 pm 

sepandee wrote:
scoops wrote:
We have the MEC Guide Tarp in both sizes( polyester). Both at least 15 years old and have taken a beating, heavier than the silnylon but resists spark burns better.

Do they also take up more space when folded compared to their silnylon cousins?

Yes they do, thinking almost double the size. When we are a large group the poly tarp is next to the fire and silnylon one back from the fire.
We frequently paddle with as many as 8. Two tarps( sometimes three) are needed depending on wind and rain.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 8:04 pm 

sepandee wrote:
god*amn tarps are expensive!

For years, I used a 12 x 16 brown on one side/green on the other poly tarp from crappy tire, regularly on sale for under $20. I'd tie a pinch of dirt behind the grommets with a constrictor knot ... with a fixed loop on the free end, so they're much less likely to tear out than the grommets in a heavy gust of wind. Every few years I'd replace it. For that price, no big deal.

Bulky? Yes. Heavy, yes relatively ... but when base camping with a few short portages, you can get by without "light and lean." We did.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2018, 8:43 pm 

open_side_up wrote:
sturgeon wrote:

I've been eyeballing these for a while. They look impressive, especially with all the tie outs. Prices on Amazon.ca seem a little better than on the website. Anybody have actual experience with these?

A couple of folks over at Algonquin Adventures just got some. Keep checking as they test them out...http://algonquinadventures.boardhost.co ... hp?id=2078