It is currently April 10th, 2021, 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pocket Canyon Outfitting
PostPosted: April 12th, 2016, 10:49 pm 

Those of you who own Pocket Canyons, how do you have them outfitted?

I ordered a T-Formex Pocket Canyon. I have at least a month to think about outfitting. I want to use the boat for both tandem and solo. I had thought about saddles but I'm worried the boat is too wide for me (solo) as I'm only 5'7".

Most likely I'll leave the bow/stern seats in and install knee pads and thigh straps. For solo paddling, I'm thinking a kneeling thwart but I've never used one. For long flat stretches I can always move to the bow seat. Will knee pads and thigh straps work with a kneeling thwart?

I have some time before the boat gets here. It will only arrive in May if Esquif doesn't hit any snags and they get a shipment out west on schedule. Even after it arrives I have some time to think about outfitting. I just want to think about it ahead of time so I don't make any mistakes!

PostPosted: April 13th, 2016, 7:51 am 

Knee straps and kneeling pads can work with a kneeling thwart. For gluing in foam such as a pedestal or kneeling pads, a good contact cement will probably work since there is no distracting force applied.

For thigh strap anchors, there is considerable distracting force and contact cement will generally not bond strongly enough. The problem is that Jacques Chasse is not at this time disclosing what the surface layer of T-Formex is. This is important because some plastics don't bond well with the adhesives that were most commonly used to bond in D ring anchors to Royalex boats. I would contact Esquif and ask them what adhesive would be best to use if you plan to bond in thigh strap anchors.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2016, 5:55 pm 

Will knee pads and thigh straps work with a kneeling thwart? YES

I have a kneeling thwart in my sunburst, length 14' 6" and beam 32". You are welcome to try it out someday.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2016, 10:28 pm 

Brian, I'll definitely take you up on that.

pblanc, I may get Esquif to do the tandem outfitting if the price is right. That will just leave the solo outfitting. Whether it's Vinyltech2000 or epoxy resin, something will work. I will take your advice and contact Esquif to find out what to use.

Anyone have photos of their outfitted Pocket Canyon? I also have to figure out whether I will extend the air bag cages and use a solo air bag. I figure a solo air bag can be crammed into a smaller tandem cage and filled until it fills the cage. I might only need one solo bag since the stern seat would get in the way of a solo bag.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2016, 8:05 pm 

I'm afraid I can't help you there but I'm happy to see another member with a Pocket Canyon on order.

I just put a down payment on a blue one which should arrive later this month so please let me know when you get yours. I'll be picking mine up in Calgary so It'll probably be a few days after yours. :thumbup:

PostPosted: May 18th, 2016, 5:25 pm 

Here is a picture of the outfitting in my Caption. It is obviously not a Pocket Canyon but the general size is probably similar. Saddles are adjustable for position. Can convert from solo to tandem in minutes. The picture is a bit dated as there is now a center thwart also.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2016, 10:28 pm 

Nice boat and nice outfitting!

PostPosted: March 8th, 2021, 10:45 am 

[quote="Neil Fitzpatrick"]Those of you who own Pocket Canyons, how do you have them outfitted?

Hello Neil,

I'm wondering if you ever outfitted your Pocket Canyon. I just purchased one and I'm interested in seeing how others outfitted theirs for solo.

Thanks,
Paul

PostPosted: March 8th, 2021, 6:53 pm 

I removed the stern seat, moved forward the bow seat a few inches, have end cages with quick release buckles...have not ever put knee pads or thigh straps in it but wish I had...the boat is old and very well used now but my next one will have knee pads. I highly recommend Mike Yee for outfitting!

PostPosted: March 8th, 2021, 6:59 pm 

Thanks for the info, Sam, especially re: the bow seat and Mike Yee (the second person to recommend him).