It is currently June 19th, 2019, 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: rain gear question?
PostPosted: June 27th, 2018, 7:07 am 

Hi, I'm looking to change up my rain gear for river trips. Last yer on the Spanish River it rained everyday. most of the day. I found wearing the usual rain pants and coat to be rather uncomfortable. We were wet wading anyway and often in the water lining boats or swimming rapids. I have been looking at a base layer for under my board shorts to keep me a bit warmer in the rain. A guy with us was wearing under armor tights under his shorts, which seemed to be a good idea to me. I found the Level six .5mm pants at Mec and they appear to be just what I was looking for. Has anyone tried these?

Also does anyone have any other ideas to stay warm in the rain when you know your going to be wet?

As always thanks for your help.

Chris

Post subject: Re: rain gear question?
PostPosted: June 27th, 2018, 7:42 am 

the only thing I have done to stay warm during rain is to keep moving. Often in summer the rain is quite warm and I find the opposite problem in that I am usually too warm when it is raining because despite their claims "breathable" rain gear is a bit of an oxymoron.

EDIT: but when I am cold in the rain I find that a merino wool stocking cap (or tuque as you mainlanders call it) works wonders.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2018, 8:14 am 

Hey Chris. I don't know what your normal base layer is but for sure you would appreciate anything synthetic if you are wearing cotton. I like the Under Armour stuff (except for the price) and now wear it almost every day. The one comment I wanted to share is that Under Armour makes different lengths and I much prefer the ones with six inch pant legs to the three inchers since the pant legs on the three inchers bunch up.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2018, 11:23 am 

My thought is they appear to be a thin neoprene legging, they could serve the same purpose as the under armor leggings but may not absorb water? keeping you warmer and not drenched all day. I found rain pants to be wet difficult to swim or wade in. I'm going to be wet anyway just trying to make it a little more comfortable. NO COTTON is a given.

Chris

PostPosted: June 27th, 2018, 12:43 pm 

Base layer:

I recently bought some Helly Hansen Lifa (polypropylene) for a base layer as I was wearing out my merino by washing it after day trips. It has more durability and the same wicking ability as merino but without the huge upside of being anti microbial. For trips I will still use merino to avoid the stink and the polypro for day paddling and my tripping dunk kit.

Rain gear:

A paddling top gives a huge advantage over a rain coat when paddling. It may not be a big deal in summer but I've been in a we enough near freezing situation that I invested in the Kokatat Gore-Tex Pullover. Level six makes some more reasonably priced tops and if you avoid a hood you get a lot of options.

Neoprene:

I have seen paddlers wear similar neoprene to the Level Six you are referring to as well as farmer john wetsuits and neoprene tops. The value of neoprene depends on your paddling style. If you are conservative in rapids and don't get wet very often then I wouldn't bother. Neoprene is very valuable when getting we often. I personally don't use it as I wear a drysuit or quick drying clothes with wicking base layers, depending on conditions and paddling.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2018, 6:45 am 

Thanks for your replies, I think they will do the trick for what I want. Something to wear in cool rain , when I know I'm going to get wet anyway, for some added warmth and ability to swim when necessary. Not to wear every day, but to wear instead of usual rain gear. I've thought about a paddling top instead of a rain jacket. Do they breath or have vents? The look like they would be pretty warm.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2018, 6:49 pm 

I bought a pair of these a couple years ago after I got tired of getting soaked and cold getting in and out of canoes on spring and fall trips. Not very breathable but much warmer than wearing just rain pants with neoprene booties. Tough also, have taken a beating and no leaks yet.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5057-426/ ... pest-Pants

PostPosted: June 28th, 2018, 8:39 pm 

scoops wrote:
I bought a pair of these a couple years ago after I got tired of getting soaked and cold getting in and out of canoes on spring and fall trips. Not very breathable but much warmer than wearing just rain pants with neoprene booties. Tough also, have taken a beating and no leaks yet.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5057-426/ ... pest-Pants

I have the previous version of these, bought a second pair when they were clearing them out last winter because I like them so much. I combine with a similar Kokatat jacket for total coverage (NOT an alternative to a full dry suit for cold water where a swim is likely). The pants are semi-dry and will fill with water if you swim but for hopping in and out, lining and rain protection they are great. The first pair has developed some leakage in the booties but that didn't start until more than 100 days of use and other than damp feet and a couple of small patches (torn while bushwhacking) they are still functional after about 200 days of use.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2018, 10:38 pm 

For cold rainy windy nasty weather, there is nothing better than a full drysuit, with a drytop/drypant combination being almost as good if you don't think you have much chance of ending up in the water. You can layer up as much or as little clothing as you need to stay comfortable, your clothing will stay completely dry, and you can wear the same clothing on and off the water. Water won't run up your sleeves or down your neck and get your clothing wet. Your butt will stay dry. You won't have to try to dry out a soggy set of on-the-water clothing during a cool rainy night. You can wear as many layers of socks under the drysuit's dry socks as you need to keep your feet warm when wading around in the water. And a drysuit provides excellent mosquito protection. I combine a drysuit with a rain hat, and wear one or two polypro beanies under the rain hat when the weather is cold or windy.

I just got back from a 150 mile float in the Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument in north central Montana. The weather was predicted to be in the 80s, so I decided not to bring any dry gear, and just wear light nylon and polypro clothing. The predictions proved to be wrong. We got a lot of strong to violent wind and cool weather and some heavy mosquitos. My clothing was wet much of the time. The trip would have been completely comfortable if I had brought a drysuit or a dry top and dry pants.