It is currently November 17th, 2019, 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2018, 6:32 pm 

I usually sleep in the open or under the tarp but now that I’m old ,sure a tiny neck light will do for night old man bathroom breaks but I am now working to learn to stay in one camp for several days and when moon is against me light my camp all night.My best idea is a small kerosine lantern suspended over my ridge pole.Better ideas are appreciated.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2018, 6:42 pm 

A headlamp
Why bother nocturnal animals by lighting the site all night?
There may be others like me that would be quite vocal about your light
Like me

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2018, 6:57 pm 

How much light do you want? As a Cub and Scout leader I've used candle lanterns pretty extensively for lighting the way to the kaibo (toilet). 9 times out of 10 they can stand up to the worst howling winds and rainstorms that nature can throw at you - I've only ever had 1 or 2 go out overnight.

It is nowhere near the light of a kerosene lantern or whatever, but it does serve a purpose. 1 candle will burn 8 to 10 hours.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5027-952/ ... antern-Kit

Last edited by Prospector16 on July 24th, 2018, 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2018, 7:47 pm 

gotta tell you, I love the new LED's great for hanging and illuminating a small area, reading, doing dishes:
Sail has one that is Luci Aura Original (75 lumens), and I would have to look up the name of that we have at 60 lumins. Inflatable, light, collapsible, and several modes other than on-off.

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: July 24th, 2018, 5:17 am 

Thanks I’ll give the Luci vs kerosine a try

PostPosted: July 24th, 2018, 1:30 pm 

You want to light up your camp while you sleep?
If so, why?

PostPosted: July 24th, 2018, 2:45 pm 

Second the Luci Light

cheryl wrote:
Sail has one that is Luci Aura Original (75 lumens), and I would have to look up the name of that we have at 60 lumins. Inflatable, light, collapsible, and several modes other than on-off.

We have three Luci-Lights and I will be buying a 4th as a Christmas present.

Two are large 10 LED solar rechargeable lights with transparent inflatable casings. Either one alone is enough to read by in the tent at night, which is my principal concern.

One is a smaller frosted casing with 3 lights, which is nice when a softer light is preferred, like hung unblindingly below the tarp apex.

Both have 2 brightness setting, one (never used) blinking white setting and one amber night vision setting. I still carry flashlights and spare batteries, but I love those Luci-lights.

The months away Christmas gift Luci-light will be the version with a USB port for solar recharging phones, digital cameras and etc devices. Not for techno-phobic me, but the rest of the family could use one.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2018, 7:03 pm 

Luci is good for ambient lighting but beware its a light light. On chickees that are exposed to everything we have to be sure to tie it onto something ( the tent) securely. It gives just enough light to show you the way to the portapotty on the dock. A misstep entails a six foot fall into mud or gators.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2018, 7:59 pm 

We have all manner of lighting systems but for a soft glow around the campsite - and as a measure to keep from tripping over that oddly place guy line - we use solar powered Christmas lights on base camping trips. Strung around the underside of the tarp with the solar collector outside in the sunlight they do the trick quite nicely. Enough light to play backgammon but not so much as to be obnoxious while sleeping.

Tried the Luci in the tent but keep going back to the headlamp.