It is currently April 25th, 2019, 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 14th, 2018, 7:51 pm 

Good luck with the choice! My Bob is my favourite all-rounder for solo/day/light-trip of what I have owned or used any amount, better than the 2 16-ft boats I have had. The whole family has it as the first boat out for anything less than a 2-night trip. That bearmountain page gives a useful range of 150-450 pounds and we have used it up to around that with no difficulty at all, and it feels as if could take more if/when required. And it solos well down to any weight - wind always an issue when light, no matter the baot. Good small tandem, good for beginners, and quite good as solo (why its my choice) where a bit less length is appreciated and the beam feels more like security than a drag. Never used a Pal but it sounds like a good choice too - just different.
(Do have 2 17+ boats for trips of gangs - one light, one rugged.)

PostPosted: November 14th, 2018, 8:20 pm 

Well it wasn't an easy choice, but I suppose that's indicative of both boats being great options for what we're looking for.

After reading through many old threads on here and other sites, starting this thread (thank you to all) and talking to folks on the phone (including the crew at NC - thanks guys! - who voted for the Pal but noted the Bob as a great choice too), we opted for the one we'd been leaning toward: the Pal. Our perceptions of its tracking and theoretically better wind performance pushed it over the edge, especially as we think about coastal paddling in the Sound. A side by side paddle would have been best but sometimes it's tough to pull off! Sounds like it will be a boat that's hard not to like : ). Ordering it with ash trim in the TuffStuff (regular) layup, with the seats dropped an inch.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2018, 8:35 pm 

Have fun with it and be sure to to a trip report from the sound some time. It can't always be Cdn Shield eh. We were out west a few years back on a driving trip but hope to spend some time out there 'at some point' in the mystic amazing future. cheers