It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2018, 8:43 pm 

recped wrote:
The after looks SOOOOOOO much better but I think a colour other than black might be nice if it's possible with that layup.

That is why football shaped Scuff Patches are useful. Scuff Patches are a shade of beige or white or light grey to hide scratches.

http://www.swiftcanoe.com/options

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 12:28 pm 

It's almost white. Another season or two and it will be all white in colour.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 2:04 pm 

Paddle Power wrote:
It's almost white. Another season or two and it will be all white in colour.

After the trip I brought it back in the shop to spiff it up a little. Masked off the bottom, used a squeegee to apply thickened epoxy to fill deeper scratches and chips, and then coated it with black tinted epoxy. Quick and dirty but effective.

Image20161128_002 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

PostPosted: December 4th, 2018, 5:47 pm 

I did a similar repair to my Echoee after scuffing it up a couple of seasons. I also had a baseball size dent in the stern from boofing over a ledge onto a rock. It popped right back into shape with some gentle heating from a heat gun. No leaks or tears. The layup seems similar to IXP -- innegra and kevlar -- but how similar I don't know.

Andy Convery has a story on his blog about wrapping his tandem Starlight (also innegra and kevlar). Even folding the boat did not seem to damage it much and it seems to have been easily repaired after the trip. https://www.echopaddles.com/blog

I've come to the conclusion the only negative for glass boats is the price!

PostPosted: December 6th, 2018, 5:26 pm 

A video of the bottom of the B 17 is on Northstar's facebook and you tube accounts. We need to work on you tube - our account is hard to find - now we have 3 videos! Facebook should be pretty easy though.

Enjoy and send questions or ask for more.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2018, 5:42 pm 

Here is the video Bear was referring too

PostPosted: December 6th, 2018, 9:39 pm 

Thanks for posting the video. Very helpful.

Q1. Given the wear on the bow and stern would you recommend internal or external skid plates if a buyer planned to use the canoe similarly?

Q2. At what point do you consider a touch-up or repair, and what would that be?

PostPosted: December 7th, 2018, 8:01 am 

Thanks Martin. Technology has never been my strong suit.

My Phoenix has internal skids. The B 17 does not. The only harm of internal skids is cost and a bit of weight. Avoid externals as long as you can and please don't ever order them on a new boat. The first thing we have to do is sand the hull to apply them - you may as well do that be paddling the canoe, it's way more fun for both of us.

There's been no maintenance to either boat. None required yet. The B 17 has 12 layers, that damage is only thru one layer. For the fastidious you could paint some resin on the fibers, but I'd rather paddle than create garage projects. As more fibers show painting resin will become worth the effort.

As you look as this recall that tandems take far more abuse than solos. Tandems carry twice the weight and carry it in the ends. When a tandem hits a rock, it hits hard. When a solo hits the same rock and the same speed it tends to glance off.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2018, 11:47 am 

Thanks for the feedback Bear. Very helpful. Cheers.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2018, 6:05 pm 

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback. I placed my order today for a Northstar Phoenix IXP, wood trim, internal skid plates, aluminium foot brace.

For those wanting to see one close up, Northstar will be at the Outdoor Adventure Show in Toronto. They indicated they plan to have an IXP Phoenix on display.

Cheers

PostPosted: December 6th, 2023, 6:32 pm 

I have a northstar Phoenix in the IXP layup.I have had this hull for several years . I use my canoe,I don't abuse them BUT: I routinely run class 2 water maybe 2plus and the IXP layup is a lightweight TANK. It has some scratches but zero damage. I think the IXP layup ie a winner: light and durable!!!

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2024, 3:21 pm 

I have a Phoenix in IXP. Its really tough. Ill do one more season then add skids and re coat .