It is currently April 25th, 2019, 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 18th, 2018, 9:29 am 

I have a Woods No. 1 Special pack that I've owned since I was 17 years old. On my last portage of my last solo one of the shoulder straps tore out of one of the two rivets. I should ask for my money back...only 40 years of use before it failed! I've shown it to a guy who does leather/canvass work and he has suggested I buy replacement straps that I like and he'll sew/rivet them on with some extra leather backing to beef up the connection. He's also going to sew/rivet a handle on the bag so I don't have to heave it in and out of the canoe by the shoulder straps. I've looked at what's available on the Frost River site but what they offer isn't really what I want and I'm looking for a Canadian supplier regardless. Anyone have any suggestions or good ideas?

PostPosted: November 18th, 2018, 1:29 pm 

Not sure if helpful or not but Duluth Packs is also in Duluth like Frost River Packs.
https://www.duluthpack.com

PostPosted: November 19th, 2018, 8:38 am 

Find your local Tandy Leather store. They sell 2" wide leather belt blanks that would work well as shoulder straps or you could buy a hide to cut your own. Take along the old strap so they can match the thickness. They often have off-cuts in store so it is worth visiting in person.

http://www.canoepaddler.me.uk

PostPosted: November 19th, 2018, 10:22 am 

Duluth got back to me saying that they don't sell components, only full packs, and that they also couldn't repair mine because it isn't a Duluth.

There's a Tandy Leather store about 50km away that I'll visit and see what they have...thanks for the suggestion.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2018, 11:17 am 

I have sewn for years, both at work and at home. Is the strap that tore out not fixable?? Sounds like the guy you found knows what he's talking about ie using leather to strengthen the torn area. Stay away from rivets if possible, polyester thread will out last and provide more strength then a rivet.

If he can't just fix the current straps then I would personally either make/sew new straps using the old ones as a template or go on Kijiji and find a reasonably priced pack and tear it down.

Buying packs on Kijiji and or a Thrift store is a good way of attaining future parts if/when needed. Sometimes the buckles alone on a second hand pack are worth double or triple what the sellers wants for the whole pack.