It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 27th, 2019, 9:36 pm 

It’s about 11 1/2 feet long. That’s really all I know about it. I would appreciate any help.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 6:15 am 

Don’t know the brand but it looks like a “Layout boat” for duckhunting.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 12:41 pm 

That might explain why it’s here in New Zealand. Du k hunting is pretty big down here.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 3:40 pm 

If you are not familiar with layout boats just Google them for an idea how they are used; lying near prone on the bottom with some camouflage or hider cover over the hull, and popping up with shotgun when ducks glide in over a spread of decoys.

Typically wide and very stable, without seats and often low slung. Usually not the best paddle craft.

From the photos it appears that your layout boat have a distinct <> shape at the waterline, which might be beneficial for pop-up stability. No so handy for glide while paddling.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 4:12 pm 

I have only purchased it to see how my dog will go in a canoe with me. If she’s happy I’ll probably order an Old Town Next. Not many choices of canoe for solo paddling in New Zealand. And that’s still a 3 month weight to get here. So for $140USD. I’m not too stressed.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 5:14 pm 

With, as you say, a lot of duck hunters in NZ you should be able to flip it advertised as a layout boat.

This might be one of the rare times when adding some camo to a hull actually increases the re-sale value of a boat. A couple cans of spray paint and some local foliage and presto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f66rP1G_YUU

PostPosted: January 29th, 2019, 5:22 pm 

How much do you and your dog weigh? The Next while marketed as being sexy, is for a very small niche crowd. I weight 220lb and have a 50lb dog. There is no way the next can hold me my dog and camping gear without near sinking. I made this mistake when I bought an Old Town Pack canoe. Even if you do manage to cram yourself in, the boats performance and stability will be terrible. I would instead look for a smaller tandem canoe.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2019, 5:37 pm 

Good advice. Thanks. The dog and I weight in at around 243lbs combined. Not a lot of choice here for canoes unfortunately.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2019, 5:41 pm 

That is unfortunate...I was under the impression that New Zealand offered spectacular canoeing!

PostPosted: January 29th, 2019, 5:47 pm 

More so kayaking down here. Yet a kayak is not as dog friendly as I would like. Canoes are few and far between yet kayaks are plentiful. And yes there are some amazing place to Canoe/Kayak. Google Able Tasman National Park and Fiordland. World class to say the least.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2019, 11:15 am 

Dogpaddler wrote:
The dog and I weight in at around 243lbs combined. Not a lot of choice here for canoes unfortunately.

Sam is right about the Next. A Next would be cramped for space, either with the dog between your knees or up in the bow where, depending on the dog’s weight, the canoe might be trimmed poorly.

A better bet would be a 14 or 15 foot tandem that can be paddled backwards from the bow seat, with your dog forward for trim weight, or a dedicated solo with the seat moved further back of center.

I have read before about the lack of canoes in New Zealand, Australia and elsewhere in the world.

Have you considered building a canoe? A wood stripper, lapstrake or even stitch and glue? Plans are plentiful and inexpensive, and you could find and build a pocket tandem best suited for dog paddling.

If that is something you would consider maybe ask here for recommendations on a design that works well with dog companion and something straightforward easy as a first build.

A neighbor who I doubt knows which end of a hammer to hold built a Chesapeake Light Craft stitch and glue kayak and the end result was a handsome and functional boat.

There are lots of plans and even kits available.