It is currently June 20th, 2019, 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 5:40 pm 

open_side_up wrote:
Another top choice might be the Eureka El Capitan 4.

+1 for the El Cap! I have a two-monkey circus (6 and 9) and it's worked well for us so far (though full disclaimer I have only one season with it now). I got it on sale at Sail last year as it was a previous years' clearance model.

I was looking at both the Camper 4 and El Cap last year, since the designs and price are very similar. My choice was made on the sale price, but they are very similar tents, with minor differences.

FWIW some small features I like in my El Cap are the higher count fabric they used on the floor, so I figured a bit tougher, the fact it came with a gear loft, and the design of the vestibules where there are additional zipper flaps on the bottom front of the vestibule doors that allow for more airflow control. It worked really well in some high-humidity torrential rains last summer, with very little condensation inside the tent.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 5:49 pm 

The Eureka tents mentioned above are a great value option and they get put through hell and back by every second Scout troop in the country. I know a number of troops that are all Eureka.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 6:04 pm 

Loved my North Face Road Runner 3. But after 15 years of good use the one tape seam started to leak. Otherwise it was still in good shape.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 6:10 pm 

Too bad you couldn't still get the Eureka Timberline Outfitter six person tent in Canada. That was an ideal family tent, single wall too, so ideal for 3 seasons.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 6:16 pm 

The regular Timerblines are pretty cool because you can put up the outer tent in a rain storm before putting up the inner, and vice-versa to keep all the important stuff as dry as possible as long as possible. I know a few Scout troops in Newfoundland that have all Timberlines 2,4, and 6 person. Great tents if a bit heavy.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 9:29 pm 

My vote goes to Big Agnes Manzanares HV SL4. Large 4-person tent with 2 good vestibules - 7 lbs; pretty much bombproof with excellent doors and zippers to withstand an onslaught of a toddler. It even includes a string of led lights that could be attached to the ceiling - nice feature for a young family tent.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2019, 5:40 am 

Check out Marmot's Halo 4. Lots of reviews and youtube clips on it.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2019, 12:08 pm 

I would recommend the MSR Papa Hubba. Pricey, but worth it. Lightweight, packs small, and very weather proof. Not the best for head room, but plenty of floor space for two adults and two kids.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2019, 6:57 pm 

Eureka K2 XT

Fits 2 adults + child - check
2 Vestibules - check
Bombproof - check

not the lightest, but the price is right. ($250)

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-fishing-camping ... nFlag=true

PostPosted: April 11th, 2019, 11:25 am 

Just a quick update. I went to Sail and gave a test run of most of their tents in stock. Super helpful staff! 3 person will definitely not be enough for our family- at least not the marmot/north face or msr. The Eureka El cap might be the winner for us but i want to setup the 3 and 4 person tent. The 4 person felt like it weighed more than the 10lbs the sales rep was telling me. They only had a 2 person erected but since I was with the fam jam on the weekend we didn’t have the luxury of seeing the 3 or 4 popped up. I also looked online at the Timberline and it reminded me of the old scout days! Anyways thanks a bunch and if you are at the Ontario Backcountry Canoe Symposium in Kitchener this weekend, come by and say hi at our booth(Hunter and Harris)!

PostPosted: May 8th, 2019, 4:40 pm 

Just got an El Capitan 4 in the mail today. Had to lean towards the “bombproof “ yet roomy tent. Of course the trade off is the weight but I don’t mind a little more work. Super thankful to all those that helped us out. See you out there this season :)

PostPosted: May 9th, 2019, 5:02 am 

So hold on - you tied up staff at a retail store for how long? And then bought it online?

Or am I misunderstanding that Sail did not have one in stock and drop-shipped it to you?

PostPosted: May 9th, 2019, 9:21 am 

Prospector16 wrote:
So hold on - you tied up staff at a retail store for how long? And then bought it online?

Or am I misunderstanding that Sail did not have one in stock and drop-shipped it to you?

Footprint was in stock so I got it in store(among a bunch of other things - I may have a problem lol!!!)the tent was shipped to me. The staff is there to help whether it’s in store or online. Pretty helpful bunch and can’t complain whatsoever. I also sell our paddles in person and online, don’t mind at all when keeners come to browse then tell me they bought from our competitor instead(hours of potential work gone btw)It’s the way it goes and You have to have some tough skin. Thanks for looking out for the employees its nice knowing people still care.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2019, 10:19 am 

Thanks for the explanation and glad you bought in the store. I buy lots of stuff online of course but I try to support local vendors when I can, and I would never think of "showrooming" a local vendor and then buying online.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2019, 7:39 am 

ShawnD wrote:
Not sure if you want to go this light but I have a TarpTent Hogback. 4 lbs for a 4 person tent. Packs really small.

Vestibules are small as it is designed as a backpacking tent but if you only have 2 adults and a 2 year old in it there would be lots of room inside.

Was in a huge storm in it in Killarney last year. Storm threw my canoe 25 feet. Tent held its ground.

Versatile tent.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/hogback/

https://youtu.be/0P8zqZnP-bE

Can hold light snow with the optional crossing poles.

I realize that you already got your tent and I hope it works out for you. I just wanted to post that I have the little brother to the Hogback - a Scarp II and it is a fantastic tent. I love that the fly pitches at the same time as the tent. It is very light and sheds weather like no tent I've had before.