It is currently June 27th, 2019, 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2019, 5:05 pm 

open_side_up wrote:
Here's a SealLine Pro 115L pack at a good price. ($120/Markham, ON)

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-hobbies-craft/m ... nFlag=true

Shouldn't the 'Pro' bag have the better suspension system? This bag looks like a SealLine Boundary Pack (which would cost about $160. CDN new.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2019, 7:36 pm 

It's hard to keep track of these thing because SealLine (as do others) love to call their stuff "updated" and make small changes (probably because they move to a different manufacturer).

The black bottom indicates a "pro" bag but the black should be about twice as wide (high).

The suspension system looks like the current regular bags but not exactly the same, definitely NOT like the one on the "pro" bags.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2019, 10:09 am 

FYI...I was at Sail in Vaughan on the weekend picking up a few things and they had 15% store-wide, as well, their clearance area had some deals on SealLine dry-duffels and other paddling gear...

PostPosted: May 14th, 2019, 6:42 pm 

Mike McCrea wrote:
Corbeau, if you (or anyone else) tests the waterproofieness of your barrel I’d be interested in the results.

A couple guesses. Used barrels, especially rentals, may have suffered unknown ring abuse in the past. And gaskets do compress over time; in home storage it may be better to leave the ring unsnapped and the gasket uncompressed.

I got around to testing mine tonight, and it does leak, albeit not too badly. It is a used one I got, it has a red lid with the molded in side handles (not the black snap-on style). I filled it about a quarter full of water and inverted it. It took about 5 to 10 minutes for water to leak out, but I'm guessing a about a third of a cup leaked out. Looking at the gasket, it looks like it sits well, but I can see that there are places where the material looks old and it pretty smushed up.

I'm going to test the rim as was suggested to see if there is any variance in the lip.

Mike, any thoughts on where to source a gasket? Locally, Recreational Barrel Works sells replacement lids through MEC, which are $19...maybe the easiest, but I'm loathe to toss what is otherwise a solid lid. I'd have to check that it is a universal fit...

PostPosted: May 14th, 2019, 8:12 pm 

Corbeau wrote:

I got around to testing mine tonight, and it does leak, albeit not too badly. It is a used one I got, it has a red lid with the molded in side handles (not the black snap-on style). I filled it about a quarter full of water and inverted it. It took about 5 to 10 minutes for water to leak out, but I'm guessing a about a third of a cup leaked out. Looking at the gasket, it looks like it sits well, but I can see that there are places where the material looks old and it pretty smushed up.

I'm going to test the rim as was suggested to see if there is any variance in the lip.

Mike, any thoughts on where to source a gasket? Locally, Recreational Barrel Works sells replacement lids through MEC, which are $19...maybe the easiest, but I'm loathe to toss what is otherwise a solid lid. I'd have to check that it is a universal fit...

There has been some talk of leaking barrels here in the past, you might have a look at this thread:

https://myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic. ... ba26f5e530

and this one:

https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewto ... 20&t=46885

I got mine to stop leaking, but I don't really trust it. Even if leaking slowly, a barrel can take on a lot of water if it happens to find itself floating around on its side. I've had one (and only one) experience with this so far. Luckily it was on the third-last night of a long trip and enough of the remaining food inside the barrel in zip lock bags managed to stay dry.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2019, 10:27 pm 

Thanks for the info Brad! I ended up poking around the threads, and I figured before getting too into things I'd try something similar to your idea - I pried out the gasket and reversed it. Seems to have worked! Tested the barrel again, and it's not leaking anymore.

I'll have to see if it holds up, as you mentioned, this may be a shorter term fix but the next step might be to add silicone under the gasket as you did. Might be time to splurge for a new barrel and relegate this one to gear....

PostPosted: May 16th, 2019, 7:39 am 

Corbeau wrote:

The gasket fix that worked on one leaky barrel was using a skinny O-ring the same(ish) diameter as the existing over-compressed gasket and placing in underneath the gasket to raise the height a wee bit.

I used a thin O-ring from a 5 gallon screw top pail, which had almost the same diameter as the 30L barrel. Maybe a hardware store item, or McMaster Carr/Grainger, or Amazon.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2019, 1:23 pm 

I was surprised when one of big blue barrels (60L) leaked a bit. Just a bit of leakage. Inconvenient and disappointing.

It was easy to figure out the problem. After years of use the metal ring was no longer tight enough to ensure a waterproof seal. I simply tightened the ring and ever since it has been working fine.