It is currently June 24th, 2019, 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 16th, 2019, 3:09 pm 

VA paddler wrote:
We did the math, once upon a time. Buddy drove a 2000s model Chevy Silverado with the 4 boat trailer behind it - V8 pulling 4 boats and gobs of gear - 13mi/gal. I drove Chevy Trailblazer - 3 boats on top, 3 guys inside, packed to the roof with gear - V6 - still got 20+/gallon. Trailers are great if you have a fleet size turn-out for a trip. For a strike team of two boats, go with the roof rack.

I see a huge difference in mileage pulling a snowmobile trailer versus a smaller boat trailer behind the truck. A small boat trailer with 2 canoes stacked is going to have a very small impact on fuel economy. 4 boats with 2 side by side is almost undoubtedly sticking out past the sides of the vehicle and will have much higher wind resistance. Probably as much as the snowmobile trailer I pull which is an older one from when sleds were narrower so it's only 7' wide.

With 2 canoes side by side on the roof the impact is about 1.5 l/100 km difference compared to the truck being 'clean'. Pulling the snowmobile trailer is consistently a bigger impact on fuel economy even when the trailer is empty.

While the canoes are light, the 'gobs of gear' can add up to a noticeable weight which would also impact fuel economy.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2019, 4:59 pm 

The vehicle, aerodynamics and engine size play a large part in MPG when roof topping. I keep MPG records on long highway trips, typically non-stop cruise control at 65-70 MPH.

With four canoes the E-150 roof we lost a couple of MPG at most. Big tall blocky vehicle with a 5.4L V8 engine that didn’t get great mileage to start with, but didn’t lose much toting four boats and four people and a mountain of gear either.

Same highway cruise, running down the coastal plain with two canoes the 4-banger CR-V’s, the decrease was closer to 4 MPG.

The 4-banger Tacoma does better than the CR-V with boats on the cap roof racks.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2019, 1:21 pm 

kgd wrote:
We have a 16' Pal and will be getting a 17' cronjie.

Ken, to be clear, that short tongue stake body trailer design will not work with your two 16 – 17 foot tandem canoes, and you would need a trailer with a longer tongue

We put our son’s early 12-14 foot solos on the vertical trailer stack. With the wee 12 footer on the bottom crossbar we had 3 feet of hull centered over the tongue, 8 feet on the crossbars and barely a foot of stern hanging out the back on the bottom crossbar.

That mattered when we pulled into a gas station or parking area with any inclined ramp off the road, the steeper the ramp/incline the worse. With only a foot of hull hanging out the back end we never dragged the stern deck plate on the pavement, but even then it was close at times.

Let us know what you find for roof racks on your boat toting vehicle. Bear in mind that the ability to quickly and easily remove the towers and crossbars for an everyday-driver vehicle is a huge boon, and well worth any extra expense.

All of our rack systems go on and off in seconds, even the ancient Quick & Easy gutter mounts, which has certainly helped their longevity of re-use. I really don’t need to drive around 365 with bare roof racks, especially on salt and brine winter coated roads when all I want to do is drive to the hardware store, diner or beer store. Usually all three in one trip

I’ve rusted out the brake lines, quarter panels, bumpers and probably the frame on salted road abused, flee-South, it’s about to get ugly hereabouts snowbird travelling vehicles; but the removable crossbars, even the ancient varnished 2x4 Quick & Easies and old Thule parts, are still going strong.

The ability to take the crossbars on and off, with relative no-tools ease, is paramount in roof rack choice to me.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2019, 4:10 pm 

I purchased a fairly inexpensive utility trailer, lengthened the tongue on it, and built a few cross-pieces out of 2x4's. The result was a highly usable canoe trailer that I have used to carry up to 4 boats and lots of gear. I find that it is often much easier to load and unload stuff from the trailer than to the racks on top of my tall SUV. This trailer probably has about 15k-20k on it carrying canoes!

Attachments:
canoe trailer.jpg
canoe trailer.jpg [ 42.5 KiB | Viewed 111 times ]

PostPosted: May 31st, 2019, 3:39 pm 

We have a Yakima Rack & Roll trailer that might fit the bill for you. It has larger diameter tires, suspension and rides higher than a lot of other trailers. We tow it behind our Subarus and it pulls beautifully. I've used it on rough roads and the suspension works very well, It's mostly aluminum, so corrosion concerns are small and the combined weight of trailer and boats is small. I can move the loaded trailer by hand with no difficulty. It has an option for a long tongue.