It is currently August 23rd, 2019, 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 14th, 2019, 8:08 am 

If you were thinking of buying a canoe in the states, or gear, or cross-border shopping, or international shopping while travelling, BNS is offering traveller's credit cards that eliminate forex fees, normally 2.5%. This has always been disturbing to see on credit card statements on US purchases, since it's an invisible fee unless you read the fine print.

There are also reward points, travel emergency medical coverage plus various types of travel insurance and complimentary airport lounge access.

Smaller financial companies have also offered these sorts of traveller's cards but not the big banks although HSBC offers several. BNS' are the Scotia Gold American Express card and the Scotia Passport Visa Infinite card. Reviewers have ranked the Visa card as a top rewards card.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2019, 5:13 pm 

There may be others!
Or not
We have USAA credit cards simply because some charge no international fees. This was a real money saver in Iceland where cash is hardly ever used.

Does not TD Bank( Canada Trust) offer no international transaction fees? We have a debit card from them and no fees either in the US or Canada. You should be able to visit a TD branch here and use a debit card as we do the other way.

I am in the States

PostPosted: June 15th, 2019, 7:00 am 

Hi Kim... the info was from a news report, subscription news service from the Globe and Mail's paysite. TD is one of the five big Canadian banks and it seems BNS is the only one of the five offering no fees. I already have an account with BNS so it wouldn't be too much trouble to apply for the no-fee card if there was some need for it. In the past, I've been dinged the 2.5% every time there's been a US/Canada currency conversion. There have been smaller institutions offering no fee service but BNS has provided reliable banking and financials so I haven't tried the others.

The rewards with the Visa card might be something along with all the other perks balanced off against the card's annual fees... I still have not checked all that out but the option exists for whenever needed.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2019, 9:30 am 

These appear to be big and little..

While 0% foreign transaction fee credit cards are somewhat scarce in Canada, there are a few that are worth taking a look at.
Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Card. ...
Home Trust Preferred Visa. ...
Rogers World Elite Mastercard. ...
STACK Prepaid Mastercard. ...
Rogers Platinum Mastercard. ...
HSBC World Elite Mastercard.

HSBC is nearby( Quebec) and so is Scotiabank( New Brunswick) and I thought they were big but maybe not in Ontario?

I know TD is Canadian but its the 8th 10 largest US bank and the only large one around here. Which means nothing when I march in and want a bunch of Canadian cash!