It is currently December 8th, 2019, 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 17th, 2019, 10:22 am 

I really like these packs, but I hate that they do not not have external pockets. I've clipped various items to the external d-rings, including a Maxpedition sling pack, but the stuff is always flopping around on a portage and never where you need it while in the canoe.

I was wondering if anyone has found or invented a bag that would clip between all 4 external d-rings, thereby creating a fairly secure, external pocket. If not, I might try experimenting with sewing some attachment points to a cheap daypack.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2019, 10:01 am 

scratchy, I took a look at the pack at the Eureka Website. Looks like a nice setup. 115 liters is certainly high volume.

https://www.eurekatentscanada.com/products/view/268

The pack’s clean exterior design makes it easy to slide in and out of its place in the canoe. My question is - why spoil the pack by attaching external bags to it?

You would have to take off the external bag(s) before you slipped the pack into the canoe and then you’d have one or two more small bags on top of your canoe pack.

On the portage trail having stuff on the outside of a pack is often a pain. I'll admit my eyes roll when I see backpackers on the trail with a pair of running shoes, a coffee mug, and a frying pan dangling and bouncing up and down on the outside of their packs. The more bags you have the more likely one will get left behind somewhere!

If there isn’t enough room on the inside of the pack, maybe get a bigger pack or a second pack?

PostPosted: September 20th, 2019, 5:09 am 

Thanks for the input- I appreciate it. And the whole "gear-flopping-around" business is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. When tandem, we have 2 of these packs - a 75 and a 115. As I mentioned, the packs are great - except when you need something to be accessible, particularly while underway on the water. The idea I had was to attach a close-fitting pack in between the 4 d-rings - like a haversack without the strap, ideally with attachment points at all 4 corners. The main pack's handles would still be accessible and it would not deter from its "sleekness" as the packs get loaded with that surface facing up.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2019, 7:36 am 

I have a cooks custom thwart bag, It has quite release clips. I sometimes attach it to My ostrom pack when im carrying long portages. Its not the clean look your going for but functional.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2019, 7:56 am 

I also have a CCS thwart bag with the map attachment. I am able to leave it on the canoe while portaging.

It swings but I found it manageable.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2019, 11:39 am 

I have three of these Eureka bags two 75 and a 115. They are great. I have never really wanted a pouch or pocket on the outside since everything fits nicely inside leaving the exterior smooth and tangle free. Maybe clip on a map, that's about it.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey