It is currently November 12th, 2019, 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kids canoe pack
PostPosted: October 5th, 2019, 8:05 am 

Good Morning,

As the season starts to wrap up around me, and I push my vision into the 2020 canoe season I've been starting to think that my daughter needs her own canoe pack (she turns 5 this DEC). The being said I know any pack I find for her will be big and that's ok. I'm not looking for a hiking pack but a canoe specific pack, I realize that that is a tall order with few options available. Does anyone have anything like this kicking around used from kids that have gotten to big? My preference is all ways used. I know CCS makes one and at this point seeing lack of other options that's likely what she will get. I also know that Ostrom made one at one time and that would be my preference but might be impossible to track one down.

So my question is, What did your kids use on trips? Do you have one kicking around in your basement that is no longer needed? In the long run I'm going to need 2 as my son wont be far off needing his own as well. Interested to hear/see what solutions others have used for kids.

Post subject: Re: Kids canoe pack
PostPosted: October 5th, 2019, 5:25 pm 

MEC Slogg one of the smaller ones - we have 2 of them and they are big enough for a youth to take all their own gear and a bit of group gear. Great bag really durable.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2019, 8:52 am 

If you’ve got the scratch, Duluth Pack makes some smaller canoe packs and kids packs. Lots of options there and your kids kids will use it some day.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2019, 1:13 pm 

No matter what pack you decide on, be cautious about the amount of weight your child will carry. Young spines have yet to calcify and heavy axial compressive loads can injure growth plates and cause permanent damage. Just because the child can shoulder a heavy load, doesn't mean their bodies can tolerate it.

The Ontario Chiropractic Association recommends in their "Pack it Light, Wear it Right" campaign for school backpacks that "the total weight of the filled pack should be no more than 10 to 15 per cent of the wearer’s body weight." This applies to bags carried 5 days a week for 10 months ... but you get the idea.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2019, 5:43 pm 

Ditto open_side_up. According to American Academy of Pediatrics kids shall not tote around more than 10% of their body weight. If you follow this advise - why would you need a canoe-specific pack to carry 4-5 lbs of gear? In my experience it comes around to a change of clothing, shoes and some snacks. Regular kids back pack with a sewn-on sternum strap is what we use on canoe trips. My son carries it for hours when hiking as well.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2019, 8:55 pm 

thanks for the concern. looks like she likely getting a ccs pack.