It is currently November 12th, 2019, 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 16th, 2019, 1:09 pm 

So, twice this summer the round bar adapters have slipped on the bar of my Yakima clamp on racks. The new fangled aerodynamic bars don't come in the same length as the old style round bars, so even though I needed new towers and clips with the latest truck, I've stuck with the round bars.

These new adapters have a limited torque when tightening them on the bar, so making them tighter is not possible.

The first time one slipped was after driving in the Shall Lake access road in Algonquin. We found out when we got t the access point.

The 2nd time was yesterday. The canoe had been on the truck since Sunday when it was loaded up to come home from the cottage for a trip this coming weekend. Distance from the cottage home is ~350km of highway driving including 400 series highways. The CLUNK came yesterday after picking up a coffee on the way to work. The CLUNK was the passenger side bracket slipping off the door frame and the bar hitting the roof. Good thing was that the canoe kept the rack from coming entirely off the truck. The slippage had happened on the driver side.

I'm supposed to be heading to Killarney on Friday but really second guessing whether I can trust this rack now.

NOTE: This NEVER happened in transit with the old Yakima system. I did occasionally have to tighten the brackets on the bars, but that was always something that happened when mounting the bars on the truck. Never in transit.

Has anyone else had issues with the Yakima round bar adapters?