It is currently September 25th, 2020, 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Remodeling the Kitchen
PostPosted: January 9th, 2020, 12:28 am 

I lost my Kitchen bag in the big dump on the Broadback this summer. I've been slowly replacing items lost, and am considering changing the packaging. Previously I carried one big SealLine pack that held cookset, stoves, some fuel cans, lantern, all cooking and eating accoutrements, and generally a bunch of dry food stuffs. This worked relatively fine. The upside was everything was in one place, as the camp cook I knew where everything was, and I made sure it was packed ahead of trips the way I wanted it. It could work for me and Tom on a 10 day trip, or the whole family on a 3 day trip. The downside was that at almost every meal, everything had to come out to get that one thing at the bottom, and you almost had to climb inside the thing with your headlamp to find it. The other downside was that when I crashed and burned, all the kitchen stuff went down with the ship. Tom and I were without filter, pot, pan, skillet, stove, etc.

Some folks here have recommended each boat on a long-range trip be self-sufficient. That seems like a lot of gear overlap. But I get the point. If we each had a bag with a stove and fuel and food, it's less of a situation when one of those bags gets lost. I've been toying with the idea of switching over to barrels, also - two 30L barrels with redundant gear in each, one for each boat. And a shared harness for the portaging.

What's your favorite kitchen setup? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Please don't bother telling me all I need is a stove and teakettle. I am not interested in spartan camping. River trips are all about feeding the hedonist in me.

Thanks - hope everyone's having a good start to 2020.
Christian

PostPosted: January 9th, 2020, 9:36 am 

My kitchen setup is pretty sparse.

A canister stove, canisters, old MSR pot set, and a cast iron skillet (probably will upgrade that to stainless this year).
I also use the 4l MSR gravity filter which is awesome. Most the cooking gear goes in the CCR guide pack with other stuff, and the food stays in a 30l barrel, with a barrel organizer so that snacks and easily reachable stuff stay at the top.

I don't know if I would plan for full redundancy in each canoe. A dump where you actually lose the bag (and if you switch to a floating barrel, even less likely to lose), is a low probability, high impact, event. If you keep one skillet, and some fire making tools, and food separate, then you could make do over a fire in a emergency, without needing two stoves, etc., which would be an enormous load to add for portaging.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2020, 10:21 am 

We do not travel spartan either. On all trips I favor a bucket for my kitchen gear. The second stove is in another pack as is the rest of the fuel. In the morning I can put any lunch items in the bucket so it is the only thing that needs to be opened all day. The bucket serves many uses: 4 gallon of water can be set aside to settle and then dipped and put through a filter, seat, table, laundry and fish pan. A pontoon on the really soft portages. If you keep the bucket light it totes easily or carry it crosswise on top of another pack. Buckets, you either love them or hate them!

PostPosted: January 9th, 2020, 2:16 pm 

Double post :-?

Last edited by Daniel Odd Job on January 9th, 2020, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2020, 2:19 pm 

My favourite kitchen gear setup... In the past I've used a range of 10L - 20L dry-bags daisy-chained together. More recently I'm putting three dry-bags inside a 35L Boundary pack. I have two of the 35L packs, and sometimes a 70L, which I may eventually change out for a barrel. I try and split my equipment up so that, in case of loss of one of my 35L packs, I still have a somewhat functional set of gear in the other, at least enough to keep me going. Tarp in one, tent in other. Stoves are an MSR Whisperlite, and a little collapsible wood-stove. Pots are a billy-can, and a MSR stainless - and a GSI Halulite dutch-oven for frying and baking. I like the squishy silicone cups. I really like the Trangia stove and pots, and am tempted to replace my Whisperlite/billy-can with one. I saw slices off presto-logs for quickie fire-starters, and throw a couple of lighters in each bag with them. I'll usually have a ready to eat meal prepared in the billy for when I know I'll be paddling long days. Mac n cheese is fine cold when I'm hungry and fresh off the water. My kitchen is primitive but works for me.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2020, 12:11 pm 

For week long trips with two people, we use two 5 gallon buckets retrofitted with screw top lids. They're pretty water and critter proof, they float and they're easier to search through than either a pack or a 60l barrel. It's worth finding 90 mil buckets--they're much stronger than the thinner kind. We do have some food redundancy between the two buckets. As far as gear duplication, we use a Trangia stove with the full windscreen assembly and pots, and we keep an extra Trangia burner and a little backpacking windscreen in a small cook pot in the other bucket, along with a spare Sawyer Mini water filter for our gravity system. We also go heavy on the fuel alcohol and keep some in each bucket. The Trangia fuel bottles are very tough and I've never had one leak.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2020, 9:32 pm 

Sad loss VA paddler and a good question. Obvious there are many ways to remodel a canoe tripping kitchen.

Having a single kitchen pack is most convenient as you stated.

You also mentioned the biggest disadvantage with your system, the large SealLine pack--they are taller than some people--very deep to reach the bottom, too dark inside to see anything,...

For the past half a dozen years I've been using a single kitchen pack. For example, #2 Canoeist Pack fits the bill. Lined with two plastic bags for waterproofing.
https://www.shop.cookecustomsewing.com/ ... tegoryId=4

In the bottom goes the kitchen kit, all of which is packed into a plastic bin. This makes removal fast and easy--pull out the bin, remove the plastic top and voila, all your cooking and eating accoutrements are readily available.
The stove and fuel bottle are in a separate smaller plastic bin and it goes in the pack on top of the aforementioned kitchen kit.
Lastly, on top goes the kitchen shelter, in a 20L dry bag. In your case, you could put a bag of foodstuff.

I find it very quick and easy to remove the kitchen shelter bag and then pull out the two plastic bins. A wash basin fits outside the bottom of one of the bins as well as, for washing clothes, etc. but you could also just use one of the bins as a sink. Packing up is just as convenient.

Plus, the plastic bins help keep the kitchen gear all organized. The bin and lid serve as places to keep kitchen gear and food and dishes etc. while cooking and eating, etc.

I put the extra stove and fuel bottle in a different pack because it's seldom used and it serves as redundancy (just in case).