It is currently September 20th, 2020, 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 16th, 2020, 1:54 pm 

This is something that I will be adding to my first aid kit this year now that is more easily available.

I have carried butterfly closures for over 30 years and have needed to use them twice, once on myself another time on someone else. (and they worked great! )

These I think will make it a little quicker and simple, especially if you are multiple days away from medicial treatment.

Zip Stitch, now available in Canada with out prescriptiion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWRujCo ... or36P6HJxk

Link to Canadian site
https://zipstitch.ca/products/zipstitch-laceration-kit
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: January 16th, 2020, 7:06 pm 

That actually does look quite innovative, and useful - but $40 is a bit steep I think for something you might need once every 15 years, and probably need to replace every 5. Any idea what the shelf life of these are?

It's not just the cost of building a kit that gets me, it's the cost of making sure it's all unexpired.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2020, 7:26 pm 

Expensive yes.
But if on a remote trip it could prove invaluable.
When butterfly strips first became available they were also very expensive for that time.
(long before the internet :oops: )
And the two times I needed them, it was so worth it.
I also carry clotting sponges becuase I sometimes travel with people on blood thinners.
I also use to travel with suture kits, and they also were expensive and had a fairly short exp. date.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: January 16th, 2020, 7:39 pm 

I carry clotting sponges too, and battle dressings. Never actually needed them in the wilds, but once on highway 11 west of Hearst I did, I was the first on the scene of a bloody accident (everyone survived).

I really like these zipstitches, but every addition to the first aid kit comes with a maintenance cost. I suppose I'll write them and ask about the shelf life. It would be really useful to hear from someone who's actually needed them how they compare to butterfly sutures.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2020, 7:55 am 

Very cool. I have been carrying "steri strips" for many years.

MikeD.