It is currently August 14th, 2020, 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 1st, 2020, 11:03 am 

Camp Showers (birthday present for Hubby, so couldn't put it in the subject line, or he would see it in e-mail- I will edit it once I have made the choice.)Headed north again this summer, and hubby is tired of trying to bath from a bucket. River will be freezing entire trip. Was thinking of surprising him with a shower system. Have used bag systems (Sea to Summit pocket shower types), and find that they are not easy to fill, seams give out, and by golly, you either need a rock ledge or a tree to hang them from. Thinking about going with this type: https://www.amazon.ca/Detachable-Rechar ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

We always have a bucket, and for 3 or 4 weeks out we always have a solar charger and battery pack.

Opinions?

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2020, 6:26 pm 

Haven't tried this unit, but 0.9 gpm flow sounds good for camp. You could use a barrel for bucket, I found a big aluminum pot that just barely nestles into 5 gal barrel. Also, consider elevating yr bucket of water, every bit closer in height to shower head reduces load on bat/pump. Even placing on picnic table should extend bat life noticeably.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2020, 1:37 pm 

Thank you Airbag, appreciate the information!

PostPosted: March 5th, 2020, 2:48 am 

Camping out with hubby in small tent for a month.
Buy him a shower.
Tell him it's for him.
Double-win!

PostPosted: March 5th, 2020, 8:37 am 

I have just ordered the Upgrade Loove, and bought the spare battery for an extra fee. The batteries are supposed to be waterproof. Will let you know how it works out!

PostPosted: June 4th, 2020, 11:53 am 

So, our trip to the Yukon is an obvious no go. However, Spouse and family are thrilled with the shower. Our hot water heater split over a week ago and we were 7 days without hot water as everyone booked overtime with a/c installation. The FLYFISH Portable Camping Shower paid for itself in the past week. I put huge pails of water out back to warm the water in the sun, and then we filled a 12 L pail to about the 9 L mark for each shower. We placed it on an upside-down 5-gallon pail in the shower stall so that the pump could fully submerge with the shower mounted on the wall. Tripping we could put it on a barrel or rock. Bending over a bit would not be uncomfortable. Even with the con's below, we did feel it was a winner, we just need to make some adjustments. We did like it much more than any of the hanging bags that we have used.

Pro's- 15 showers and the battery is still good. The pressure is great, with good coverage. Suction cupped onto the wall it was quite nice, like a regular shower. I have very thick almost shoulder-length hair, and I was able to get it thoroughly rinsed. A little heavy at 562 g + 81g for the extra battery and 16 g if you wanted to take the suction cup hook. It can be put in a bag smaller than the box it comes in (a large ziplock freezer bag). It does look like the hose could be replaced if you needed to do so. 9/10

Con's - Uses a lot of water... typical shower for husband and each Gen Z’d was bout 8L and I was 6 L at about 3.5 L/min as advertised, with a cycle of wet, off, soap up, on, rinse, off. Now granted we were being water hogs because we could. Might have to heat a big pot of water and add it to the river water for those who bathe second.
-Having a tall narrow bucket would help to keep the pump submerged right to the bottom to get down to the 5 inches of water before we have to shut it off. I am going to try a dollar store collapsible bucket with a narrow bottom.
-We thought of adding a restrictor or a narrow hose, as we really do not need 3.5 L /min, but feel it might put too much pressure on the pump. If I can find a washer that fits, we will give it a try.
- so is the battery waterproof? Who knows? It does seem to have a small silicone ring around the charging port on the battery we did not take a chance, and just slipped a zip log over it and put an elastic around it. Amazon instructions confusing: "100% WATERPROOF Portable Shower for Camping: with USB Charging Cable, Hose, Showerhead, Suction Cup & Hook Attachment w/ Water-resistant shower spray”, "External on/off switch feature, which is an improvement over previous design”. “No need to immerse the batteries into the water, which can protect and enhance the battery's life." "Full charge allows up to 45 min of continuous use. The battery can be attached to the water pipe instead of thrown to the ground randomly. "

Last edited by cheryl on June 5th, 2020, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2020, 4:39 am 

thxs for the post and the review,it was very helpful. I have the Sea to Sum shower and like it. Your right about where it can be used i.e. trees with sturdy branches. I also hike so size and weight were important when I decided to get one. Having a shower once and a while when camping is definitely a luxury I have learned to love (and my family when I get home lol)

PostPosted: June 5th, 2020, 8:58 am 

Yes, I like the sea to summit pocket shower too. But when you are away for a month and have a minimal portage route, few trees, cold water, a spouse that does not like cold water/ river has too much current and no eddies (so he can't swim every day to feel less icky), this seemed like the ticket. Although it does it does go against my grain to have something else electronic in the bag! It will be perfect for car camping. We tend towards parks/scout camps/friend's land where there are no comfort stations or showers.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2020, 11:42 am 

It will likely be very unpleasant water as the Yukon is full of glacial silt after the White River. You will have to prefilter the water if using river water or collect from tributary streams. Unless you are camping on a gravel bar you will find trees on the Yukon for the most part.

When we did it, even getting drinking water that did not need alum to settle was a challenge

PostPosted: June 5th, 2020, 12:12 pm 

Yes, gravel bars seem to be a theme of many of our trips, and mountain-aven and fireweed are not very supportive :):):):). filtering the water is always a challenge when you get into glacial silt, and the tributary streams are much better. I read that a fish tank sponge can put into the filter, and of course we would use our usual prefiltering methods. Would not use our alum settled out water with this, we surely could wait! You must be referring to the White River that flows in the Yukon River? Was not headed there this year, but it is on "the list".... one day!

PostPosted: June 5th, 2020, 12:55 pm 

cheryl wrote:
Yes, gravel bars seem to be a theme of many of our trips, and mountain-aven and fireweed are not very supportive :):):):). filtering the water is always a challenge when you get into glacial silt, and the tributary streams are much better. I read that a fish tank sponge can put into the filter, and of course we would use our usual prefiltering methods. Would not use our alum settled out water with this, we surely could wait! You must be referring to the White River that flows in the Yukon River? Was not headed there this year, but it is on "the list".... one day!

Yup the river that when it joins goes "ssssssss" against the canoe!

Reminds me of our trip on the Snake in the Yukon.. we had bright sunshine and a solar shower ( the one from Seattle Sports) and I had high hopes on day 6. It was STILL freezing cold.. So any electronic that can heat is worth bringing.

We did take baths as we found some shallow meltwater pools that were warmer than that darn solar shower.