It is currently September 28th, 2020, 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 24th, 2018, 4:01 pm 

I have usually taken one of those cheap polyethylene tarps (the green ones) for creating the kitchen/sit-in area for a backcountry canoe trip. They're cheap but heavy and don't pack as nicely. Want to see if someone can recommend a tarp that's lighter (and more importantly packs nicely) and better but still for a decent price. I need it to be large enough to cover 6 people + gear. I think on my last trip I took one that was 12 x 15!!!!!

As you can tell, most of my backcountry canoe trips aren't too hardcore... Usually in Killarney or Algonquin, Maybe a few portages but nothing too crazy and we usually just camp on one site.[quote][/quote]

PostPosted: June 24th, 2018, 4:37 pm 

One of the best deals around for a quality basic tarp is the MEC Guide Tarp either in silnylon or polyester. The silnylon being lighter and packing smaller.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5046-107/ ... uides-Tarp

PostPosted: June 24th, 2018, 4:47 pm 

My choice is a silnylon guide tarp from MEC.

It's done everything from a tarp, windbreak, water collection, bivy sack, table cloth, sail, sun shade, fire reflector, etc...
Mine has to be 10 years old.
We regularly have our fire (in a firebox) under our tarp and have only had two very small burn holes so far. Knock on wood.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2018, 6:21 pm 

Another vote for the MEC Guide Tarp. I have a nylon one from 1999 that I still use. I would get silnylon, unless you want to pitch close to a fire. Silnylon is not spark-friendly. Nylon is more forgiving, just a little bit heavier.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2018, 9:06 pm 

The chinook one is fine for $50 https://www.lacordee.com/en/chinook-all ... arp-medium

PostPosted: June 24th, 2018, 9:30 pm 

steve.of.london wrote:

I have Chinooks in both 9'6"x12 and 12 x 14. They are good bang for the buck. Tie out points are oddly placed, so I've added grosgrain loops in more useful positions.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 5:18 am 

We have the MEC Guide Tarp in both sizes( polyester). Both at least 15 years old and have taken a beating, heavier than the silnylon but resists spark burns better.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 7:39 am 

'Tie out points are oddly placed, so I've added grosgrain loops in more useful positions.'

We added some too. Just long enough to make a nice end door storm flaps for hammock. It helped me learn the sewing machine a bit and it led me to make a winter hot tent. Funny how little things rolls along to bigger things.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 8:14 am 

scoops wrote:
We have the MEC Guide Tarp in both sizes( polyester). Both at least 15 years old and have taken a beating, heavier than the silnylon but resists spark burns better.

Do they also take up more space when folded compared to their silnylon cousins?

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 8:41 am 

I use my Kelty Noah for hammock camping and shelter when need be. Also had the Eureka Bug out Zone which offers a decent sized tarp.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 12:03 pm 

Does everyone find that a 10 x 10 or a 9x12 is sufficient to adequately cover 6 campers (maybe in chairs), gear and protect the fire too from a blowing rain? I like mine a little bigger, hence the 12 x 14.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 12:54 pm 

I think 10x10 would be tight for 6 and gear. Mine is 15x15, and maybe a bit big, but I never am disappointed with the extra dry space.

rab

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 3:16 pm 

10 x 10 is barely comfortable for one or maybe two people for anything other than a light sprinkle of rain with no wind whatsoever. Even that presumes you can set it up perfectly.

In any sort of actual rain with even a bit of wind the size of the tarp won't actually cover much more than half the actual area (a 10 x 10 might cover 5 x 5 or 25 square feet) for 6 people that would give each person 2' x 2', only enough space to stand or squat!

For 6 people, gear and a fire you need a HUGE tarp plus nice flat ground and suitable trees to hang it from.

For any tarp unless you just want to crawl under you will find that you lose 2 - 3 feet all around that will be damp at best, the higher the tarp is hung the less usable space.

Your average 2 person tent has a floor area of about 30 sg ft, think about how crowded it would be with 6 people inside!

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 3:26 pm 

I concur with recped. The MEC sil/nylon guides tarp is great. Spend a few extra bucks and get the sil/nylon instead of the regular nylon Guides Tarp. Lighter...packs tighter...stronger.

If you want to go a step further, order a sil/nylon tarp from Cooke Custom Sewing (USA). They have ridgeline loops sewn in, making for very versatile set-up options. Whatever you do, don't get a tarp smaller than 10x14'. 10x10 is inadequate except as a second supplementary tarp.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 3:28 pm 

rab wrote:
I think 10x10 would be tight for 6 and gear. Mine is 15x15, and maybe a bit big, but I never am disappointed with the extra dry space.

rab

What's your tarp?