It is currently August 4th, 2020, 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 14th, 2020, 4:06 pm 

Fourtrax!
I wonder if you are the paddler I met at a Rundle Park get together and then met a week or so later as you launched on the Sturgeon River heading to Big Lake? I was bringing my Chestnut in...

As Ralph and others have noted, joining a group of like minded enthusiasts is a great way to learn and find the boat thats right for you. Ceyana is a great place to start: not only do we run the regular Tuesday night drop in sessions ( in times of NON PANDEMIC!) but there is also a significant Ceyana fleet that any member can borrow, free of charge. Beyond that too, most Ceyana members will let you try their boats for an hour or an afternoon.
The Rundle Park canoe lake is a great place to try out a number of boats. Anyone can access all the watercraft there: SUP's, Kayaks and canoes plus often members will bring their own boats. Most of the canoes at Rundle are tupperware Old Town Disco's but there are also a couple of 15' Novacraft Prospectors as well set up for tandem or solo. The beauty of Rundle is that the water is fresh and only 4feet deep at maximum.

Drop me a note offline and I`ll put you in touch with a couple of excellent paddling resources in town.

Cheers! And welcome aboard!
Bruce
wbruceclarkathotmaildotcom

PostPosted: April 20th, 2020, 6:48 pm 

If you want to get a better idea of canoes in general just to help you decide for yourself read this article that I wrote a couple of years ago.

http://www.prospector16.com/p/canoe-101.html

It is a good general introduction to canoes.

Wider canoes tend to be harder to flip - and I suspect if you had bought the Sports Pal wtihout the transom you may not have flipped it because they are one of the widest canoes on the market and known for their stability.