It is currently August 14th, 2020, 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 21st, 2020, 7:28 pm 

I have a Kokatat Maximus PFD that I'm looking to possibly replace. The jacket has been great but the lack of pockets is getting frustrating. I have the one front pocket but it doesn't fit more than my phone or a clif bar.

The Astral jackets look to have the best front pocket and also have kidney pockets which I think would be great to have some webbing, prusik, biners, and pullies in. It's hard to tell how big the pockets actually are though. Can anyone comment on what will actually fit? I see a lot of companies make pockets but sew the fabric flat with no way to expand once something is inside. Nothing blocky ever fits in those pockets.

Looks like the two jackets are basically the same PFD but the Blue Jacket fabric is less burly and has side entry.

Anyone with the Blue Jacket - where do you keep a knife? I don't know if I want to keep it inside. In one of the swiftwater courses I've been on one of the exercises was to have a loop of throw line looped around our arm and another time our leg and had to cut ourselves free. I don't know that I'd want to be going into a pocket. More so I don't know how fast that pocket would get flushed and if the knife would still be in there. We were also held under and had to get out of our PFD - side buckles would make this easier than having to loosen everything or cut free.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 1:01 am 

You might have a look at the NRS pfd's if you really want lots of pockets their "fishing" pfd's have MANY!

Coincidentally, I was looking at one (Odyssey) today and and wondered about the same thing. Seems like none of the manufacturers actually provide pocket measurements, the one I was interested in referred to "for a VHF radio" to describe one of the four pockets, not very helpful.

I sent them an email a few hours ago......

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 4:01 am 

Kokatat keeps screwing around (they call it improving) with their pocket design on the Msfit and Outfit PDFs

The current still have 2 outside stretch pockets and 1 radio pocket plus a hidden ? sleeve pocket with key lanyard behind an entry zipper
The front Lash Tab for a knife has been moved further up at shoulder level where the older ones were
lower and cumbersome with a mounted knife

The older ones also had inner pocket(s) with key lanyard behind entry zipper

For additional crap they make a Tactic Pack that attaches to the back of their PFDs like a backpack
with built in pockets hidden inside or against the paddler's back

Cheers ..... Vin

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 12:06 pm 

I've had a Green Jacket for about 6 years and I'm very happy with it. Other than the green fading a little too quickly for my liking. And the stratospheric price. The NRS has a very similar model.

The pockets and internal webbing are sufficient to carry 4 carabiners, 3 pulleys, 2 Prusiks, and webbing. Add to that an energy bar, pocket mask, Leatherman, and other sundries. This is a fairly heavy load, but it doesn't seem to impact flotation too badly. I'm a poor paddler, so I can vouch for swimming with this load in class III-IV on more occasions than seems sensible.

Typically I carry 3 pulleys on a Prusik in one side pocket, 2 Prusiks and 2 carabiners in the other side pocket. The clamshell takes things that I need more frequently.

My only complaint is knife placement. A knife tab is sewn to the front of the clamshell pocket. I don't understand this in the slightest. A knife attached to the belly of a PFD gets in the way of swimming over rocks or re-entering a canoe from deep water. I carry a fixed blade knife vertically, upside-down, on the left shoulder strap (I'm right handed). In this position you can easily access the knife with one hand, wearing neoprene gloves, while hanging on to something or someone else in strong current.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 2:26 pm 

I second what swampwalker wrote. Chest mounted knife interfere with cross strokes. Green jacket is my WW canoeing life jacket.

For wilderness canoe tripping I use the Kokatat MsTour with the rear attached pocket for my ditch kit. It has pretty good front pockets.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2020, 4:53 pm 

recped wrote:
You might have a look at the NRS pfd's if you really want lots of pockets their "fishing" pfd's have

They do have a WW PFD that has a similar pocket but I noticed too it has big plastic buckles on the shoulder - no good for shouldering a boat or heavy bag.

vinman wrote:
For additional crap they make a Tactic Pack that attaches to the back of their PFDs like a backpack
with built in pockets hidden inside or against the paddler's back

I was thinking about just getting one of their add on pouches but I don't really like the idea more straps to snag stuff.

swampwalker wrote:
The pockets and internal webbing are sufficient to carry 4 carabiners, 3 pulleys, 2 Prusiks, and webbing. Add to that an energy bar, pocket mask, Leatherman, and other sundries. This is a fairly heavy load, but it doesn't seem to impact flotation too badly. I'm a poor paddler, so I can vouch for swimming with this load in class III-IV on more occasions than seems sensible.

Typically I carry 3 pulleys on a Prusik in one side pocket, 2 Prusiks and 2 carabiners in the other side pocket. The clamshell takes things that I need more frequently.

My only complaint is knife placement. A knife tab is sewn to the front of the clamshell pocket. I don't understand this in the slightest. A knife attached to the belly of a PFD gets in the way of swimming over rocks or re-entering a canoe from deep water. I carry a fixed blade knife vertically, upside-down, on the left shoulder strap (I'm right handed). In this position you can easily access the knife with one hand, wearing neoprene gloves, while hanging on to something or someone else in strong current.

Cool thanks. That gives me a good idea of the size. Agreed that the knife placement isn't the best. I have to try a small knife on the shoulder.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2020, 6:52 pm 

NRS got back to me right away....

Quote:
The VHF radio pockets are 6.5" Tall, 3.5" Wide, and 1" Deep. The NRS Odyssey PFD purchased online at nrs.com carries the US Coast Guard certification. Our Canadian dealers carry the PFD with the Canadian UL certification. You can use our NRS Dealer Locator to see who is local to you.

My inquiry was for the Odyssey version which has two of these pocket plus two smaller(?) ones underneath.