Canadian Canoe Routes
http://www.myccr.com/phpBB3_PROD/

Need help with cost of used Canoe
http://www.myccr.com/phpBB3_PROD/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=47980
Page 1 of 1

Author:  dbogey [ May 2nd, 2020, 3:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Need help with cost of used Canoe

I need some help. This is our 1st canoe purchase, we've always rented. I'll solo this more that tandem.
Mad River Malicite Kevlar bought 19 years ago and was never used - Never touched water. Garage stored
16 + feet, I think 16.7
No Ash
Two Seater
No extras.

any possible idea what the going price should be?

Author:  littleredcanoe [ May 2nd, 2020, 4:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Need help with cost of used Canoe

I see one seller who has a bigger price tag than any canoe is worth. a 22 year old canoe even a Malecite is not worth $3400! Dont care if it is gold plated.
I bought a unused canoe that was 22 years old for $800 that was $2000 when it was new

Canoes do depreciate and do not appreciate as much as sellers who don't understand the market think

I see several other Malecites running around $1400 which is more in the reasonable category.


Classic design btw.. Good at the right price

Author:  Mike McCrea [ May 2nd, 2020, 5:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Need help with cost of used Canoe

littleredcanoe wrote:
I see one seller who has a bigger price tag than any canoe is worth. a 22 year old canoe even a Malecite is not worth $3400! Dont care if it is gold plated.
I bought a unused canoe that was 22 years old for $800 that was $2000 when it was new


Jeeze Louise, I have a kevlar Malecite in near perfect condition, with partial spray covers and other outfitting that I’ll let go for only $3399 (all prices USD)

dbogey wrote:
Mad River Malicite Kevlar bought 19 years ago and was never used - Never touched water. Garage stored
No Ash
any possible idea what the going price should be?


Not sure what you mean by “No ash”? Aluminum gunwales?

In 2001 a kevlar Malecite, in the most expensive Mad River build, had an MSRP of $1999.

My usual used canoe price, as a buyer or seller, for a boat in good to like-new condition runs around 2/3 of the MSRP when new, so. . . . .$1320, and that seems on the high side to me.

I sold three like new tandems last summer, priced at that 2/3 MSRP. All of those canoes were fully outfitted with D-rings and minicel and etc. I felt I had priced them to move and all three took a while to find buyers. Two of them had spray covers and I priced those accessories at 1/3 of retail.

Author:  Airbag [ May 2nd, 2020, 6:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Need help with cost of used Canoe

That boat will sell in under 2 days @800$, will sell under a week @1200$, will sell under two months @1600$

Author:  dbogey [ May 2nd, 2020, 6:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Need help with cost of used Canoe

I meant gunwales. Seller is looking for $1500+, it's almost 20 yrs old. You guys/gals have been around longer than I have and know the fair market value of canoes better than I do.

thanks



Mike McCrea wrote:
littleredcanoe wrote:
I see one seller who has a bigger price tag than any canoe is worth. a 22 year old canoe even a Malecite is not worth $3400! Dont care if it is gold plated.
I bought a unused canoe that was 22 years old for $800 that was $2000 when it was new


Jeeze Louise, I have a kevlar Malecite in near perfect condition, with partial spray covers and other outfitting that I’ll let go for only $3399 (all prices USD)

dbogey wrote:
Mad River Malicite Kevlar bought 19 years ago and was never used - Never touched water. Garage stored
No Ash
any possible idea what the going price should be?


Not sure what you mean by “No ash”? Aluminum gunwales?

In 2001 a kevlar Malecite, in the most expensive Mad River build, had an MSRP of $1999.

My usual used canoe price, as a buyer or seller, for a boat in good to like-new condition runs around 2/3 of the MSRP when new, so. . . . .$1320, and that seems on the high side to me.

I sold three like new tandems last summer, priced at that 2/3 MSRP. All of those canoes were fully outfitted with D-rings and minicel and etc. I felt I had priced them to move and all three took a while to find buyers. Two of them had spray covers and I priced those accessories at 1/3 of retail.

Author:  Mike McCrea [ May 3rd, 2020, 6:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Need help with cost of used Canoe

dbogey wrote:
Seller is looking for $1500+, it's almost 20 yrs old.


If the Malecite really was garage stored and never used the age is mostly irrelevant.

I don’t know if the $1500 price is CND or USD. At the current exchange rate $1500 CND is $1051 USD, which seems more reasonable for an essentially new kevlar Malecite.

In 2001 Mad River made the Malecite in a half dozen different layups, including kevlar glass, kevlar light, kevlar ultra light, kevlar expedition, Malecite Express (IQ gunwale system) to a “Special Edition” model.

IIRC the Special Edition model had wood gunwales, so it is not that.

Author:  Captaincanadian [ May 4th, 2020, 11:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Need help with cost of used Canoe

If it truly has never seen water and stored correctly, meaning no UV exposure, than I would say a fair price is 1000 - 1200 CAD.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/