It is currently August 4th, 2020, 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Used canoe pricing
PostPosted: May 10th, 2020, 12:21 pm 

Hey all,

I'm looking to get a used canoe for backcountry trips in Algonquin and other local parks, but not really sure about the pricing.

I was looking at a couple used ones available at Algonquin outfitters right now:

Swift Kipawa 16′6″ Expedition Kevlar Clearcoat w White Bottom Aluminum gunwales, fixed bow seat, skid plates, contoured yoke. Good condition. Approx. 46 lbs. Excellent tripping canoe for Algonquin Park $1998

Swift Prospector 17 17′ Kevlar Fusion Clearcoat w White Bottom Aluminum gunwales, skid plates, contoured yoke. Approx. 48 lbs $1998

Do these seem like reasonable deals, or does anyone have advice on where else I should be looking in Southern Ontario?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Used canoe pricing
PostPosted: May 10th, 2020, 4:25 pm 

I would say good prices, but not spectacular bargain rates. If you wait for the spectacular bargain, you may come up empty handed, although this year, who knows? I bought my Swift Kipawa from them used 30 years ago and it's still in excellent shape.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2020, 9:18 pm 

Okay thanks, between those two, which do you think would be the better option?

PostPosted: May 10th, 2020, 9:29 pm 

It all depends. The Kipawa is asymmetrical and fairly small. Good for two people on 10 day to 2 week trips, but also a good solo tripper. The prospector is a lot more roomy, good for long trips or big people, not so good for solo. Because it is symmetrical, it will turn much more easily than the Kipawa -- on the other hand, it won't track as well.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2020, 9:50 pm 

Good to know, I'm fairly small and so is my partner, and we likely won't do trips longer than 2 weeks. I'm also interested in using it for some solo trips so it sounds like the Kipawa is the choice for me.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2020, 9:18 am 

ontariopaddler wrote:
Good to know, I'm fairly small and so is my partner, and we likely won't do trips longer than 2 weeks. I'm also interested in using it for some solo trips so it sounds like the Kipawa is the choice for me.

That Kipawa will make a decent solo boat if you have a seat installed where the kneeling thwart is. (Have it done at Swift.) They use the existing thwart hanger, and add another two to hold the seat. The new seat is pefectly positioned for solo - whether you're sitting or kneeling. Just remove the bow and stern seats when on a solo trip. Have found the Kipawa needs a good amount of gear weight up front when soloing even in mild wind.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2020, 11:40 am 

The price is not too bad, it all dependent on ones definition of what 'good' is. They are ex rentals and have been used and abused no doubt. So make sure you check them over. Assuming they are both in equal condition, I would go with the Prospector. They are both excellent tripping canoes so you cant go wrong with either. You did not mention skill level, but the prospector is a little more forgiving and is an excellent all round canoe. I have soloed both with no issues, but found the Prospector to handle better in heavy weather. If they are not equal condition wise, take the one that is in the best shape. Either one will serve you well for many years.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: May 15th, 2020, 7:21 pm 

Kipawa is an asymmetric boat, 36 or 37" wide, neither of which characteristics makes it very suitable for solo paddling. Of course it can be paddles solo as every other canoe on the market. I won't call it a small boat for Algonquin-style trips (Mattawa is a smaller alternative). Three of us, including 12 year old kid, comfortably paddled it for 1-2 weeks in Algonquin and around. I'd call it large and safe option for family trips in lake country.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2020, 8:03 am 

Eddy Turn --- I guess it depends how light weight your gear is. My wife and I probably weigh in at 300 lbs together. With what I would call "average" camping gear (3 person tent, 1 burner stove, synthetic sleeping bags) we maxed out the Kipawa with 10 days of food (mostly dehydrated although my wife did fill the barrel up with fresh fruit if there was space left!). We had enough freeboard left to do open water crossings in maybe 2 foot waves without taking serious water. With 3 people, I don't know how you did it. A prospector of about the same length usually has a larger capacity.