It is currently August 14th, 2020, 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 4th, 2020, 2:56 pm 

Hi there - I recently purchased a well used Bluewater 16'6" kevlar canoe. The original plan was to simply refinish the exterior with epoxy.

As things go I was removing some material to promote a better bond with the new epoxy and found a soft spot in some resin near the bow on the keel. I continued removing material and it became apparent that this was a botched repair.

I am now left with the hole in the photos below, l am looking for some advice on how to repair this hole. I cannot access the back through the interior of the canoe because of a built-in bulkhead at the bow.

I have come across a few blind hole repairs online but they don't exactly reflect the situation I have found myself in.

Please let me know if you have any advice on how to best fix this.

Tyler

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2020, 7:14 am 

Maybe you can use the same trick I have used on drywall--- get a long narrow piece of material e.g Al. Drill a hole, attach a string, insert in hole, pull and hold string until you have applied something to hold it in place(resin?), then proceed as usual.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2020, 3:49 pm 

If you want a really good solid repair it is advisable to make an access hole through the water tight bulkhead, you can either seal this up with a water tight accessible portal, which will allow you to store items in there that need to stay dry (which some manufactures are doing now anyway) or you then will re-close the hole back up with cloth and epoxy. The repair part itself (for one or both holes) is fairly easy with the right materials. I am not sure what your level of 'layup' skills are, but if you are not sure how the repair is to be done once you have access, I can help you with that as well.
You can do as wotrock stated and use a piece of flexible material push it through the hole with a sting affixed through it to pull on and hold it tight while you do the first layup, but this will provide a flush surface repair, which for the bottom of the canoe, which is somewhat of a structural area, not usually advised, if you hit something in that spot it can jut pop it through again, and I am assuming you want the outside to remain nice and smooth, so the overlapping layup has to go on the inside for structure. If you are OK with a small raised repair section underneath (you mentioned a keel which is already raised), than no access hole is needed and you can patch it structurally from the outside, all depends on what you are happy with. Feel free to PM me if you wish and we can go over more details if you need.
Hope this helps.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: June 7th, 2020, 6:48 am 

Actually, the piece you put inside does not need to be flexible. For a bit if strength you could use a piece of Al flat bar. coat it with resin before inserting into hole. Another option is to build it up on the outside and feather it so it is not noticeable.
i

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.