It is currently August 4th, 2020, 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: MSR Miniworks Repair Kit
PostPosted: June 8th, 2020, 4:55 pm 

So I'm replacing all the bits and bobs on all my stoves and filters and whatnot. I can't find a repair kit that would work for my MSR MiniWorks filter (well, I think it's a miniworks. It sure looks like one. I got it second hand). MSR tells me it's not a MiniWorks, it's a WaterWorks - I'm not sure what the difference is, and the WaterWorks repair kit does not include the parts I need anyway.

All the repair kits I can find seem to include a "duck bill" type valve the sits at the end of the intake hose, whereas my filter has a spring-and-ball type check valve.

So are the kits compatible, and I can replace the spring-and-ball with this duck bill valve, or am I looking at the wrong kit (this kit)? I really want to have that spare ball if I need it - I already once took the filter apart in the field to repair it and nearly lost that ball after it went "floof!" and flew off the spring on me into the dirt.

MSR wasn't much help, I got talked over on the phone and could barely get a word in. While they answered really quickly, the gist was "Hi, that's not a MiniWorks filter, that's a WaterWorks filter. We're not shipping anything right now due to Covid-19. Go away. Come back later" grrrr...

PostPosted: June 11th, 2020, 5:10 pm 

I took the risk and bought that repair kit. It's sold as an "annual maintenance kit".

The duck bill valve does work in place of the spring-and-ball valve. I had some interesting conversation with the Sail salesman about what else to use in its place. A ball bearing wouldn't work (it would likely rust eventually, and steel won't provide a good seal), maybe one could be made with hot glue, perhaps it could be 3D printed, or even art supply stores may randomly have something that could work.

But in the end that duck bill valve works as a drop-in replacement for the spring and ball check valve - at least insofar as I can pump water from one kitchen sink to the other with it.