It is currently July 29th, 2021, 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 8th, 2021, 1:25 pm 

Having a impossible time to buy here in NS. Can have it shipped but was wondering if there is anything that is available at Hardware stores that will work attaching D ring anchor patches to Royalex. Will be used for float bags.

Thanks

PostPosted: July 8th, 2021, 1:45 pm 

The vinyl adhesive sold at pool stores to patch pool liners should work.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2021, 4:59 pm 

Everyone I know just uses regular contact cement.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2021, 5:51 pm 

recped wrote:
Everyone I know just uses regular contact cement.

Regular old lepages?

PostPosted: July 8th, 2021, 6:42 pm 

Yup!

PostPosted: July 8th, 2021, 6:59 pm 

One more thing regardless of what type of adhesive you use.

After installing the d-ring seal the edge well, a bead of epoxy or any type of "goop" that will remain slightly flexible and will keep sand (especially), dirt or moisture from getting under. sand/dirt etc. is likely the #1 reason why down the road they might detach.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2021, 8:32 am 

Contact cement works for foam but will not hold d rings under stress. Look for HH-66 vinyl cement. There is a seller in the GTA who will ship and lists on Kijiji.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2021, 1:23 pm 

I'm with Doug--contact cement for the likes of knee pads but Vinyl-Tec 2000 (or equivalent such as HH-66) for D-rings.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2021, 4:00 pm 

Well, I'm a skeptic on contact cement on D-rings. It's great for knee pads and pedestals which aren't being pulled, but D-rings (especially for thigh straps) are likely to be pulled off. If all the D-ring is for is a drink bottle, well then, ok.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2021, 4:51 pm 

I don't disagree but flotation cages don't have much force applied to them.

FYI - Pretty sure DougB used contact cement to install d-rings in my Raven for flotation cages!

PostPosted: July 9th, 2021, 6:00 pm 

DougB wrote:
Contact cement works for foam but will not hold d rings under stress.

I would not use contact cement on a vinyl D-ring pad exposed to any stress. It is perfect for minicel knee pads or under-gunwale knee bumpers under compression, not so much for pulling tension or sheer forces.

In lieu of preferred “vinyl adhesives”, some now unavailable, known-to-cause-cancer-in-California adhesives that actually chemically fused the two vinyl layers – providing you NEVER want to remove or relocate the vinyl pad – I would use G/flex 650.

I have installed a couple dozen vinyl pad D-rings in Royalex (and composite) canoes. They ain’t never coming out.

Trace the pad shape on the hull so you know where, and in what D-ring orientation, to place the vinyl pad. Coat the bottom of the pad with G/flex, lay it on the trace and cover it with wax paper and a couple Zip-lock bags of sand. Remove the sandbags and wax paper every half hour or so, push/press/roll down the vinyl pad, replace the wax paper and sand bag. Repeat a half hour later, and later, and etc.

Never. Going. Anywhere.

recped wrote:
One more thing regardless of what type of adhesive you use.

After installing the d-ring seal the edge well, a bead of epoxy or any type of "goop" that will remain slightly flexible and will keep sand (especially), dirt or moisture from getting under. sand/dirt etc. is likely the #1 reason why down the road they might detach.

Absolutely agree. Any of the “Goops”, regular Goop, Plumber’s Goop, Marine Goop, any that come with an applicator nozzle will fill that vinyl pad transition edge so that water/sand/dirt can’t begin to infiltrate and lift an edge.

Once an edge is lifted to begin accumulating wet smutch dirt/mud/sand underneath that is a recipe for creeping, slowly peeling and detaching vinyl pad cancer.

Equally effective, maybe more effective, you can take a teeny disposable nylon “artist” paintbrush (30 each for 97 cents USD at Walmart) and paint a bead of the same G/flex around the perimeter of the pad.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2021, 4:48 am 

Thanks all.

This particular D ring is the first one that I have installed that is lifting. Have always used Vinyl Tech. Found some at Trailhead in Ottawa( best online price and ordered a couple of other things that I needed to get free shipping) and will get this week.
Great tip about sealing the edges, this patch had sand/dirt under it.