It is currently May 21st, 2022, 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 25th, 2021, 12:22 pm 

Hi Everyone,

We are looking to cut weight as we age a bit. We currently camp in a 2 person Asolo tent.

I am leaning towards a MSR Hubba Hubba or a Mutha Hubba (and maybe a MSR Gear Shed on some trips) but am open to other lightweight suggestions. My pad is 20 inches and my OH is 25 so we can’t go with a mummy styled tent.

Anyone have any other tents they think I should check out in this weight range?

PostPosted: September 25th, 2021, 1:39 pm 

Love my Tarptent Scarp 2.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2021, 1:40 pm 

Check out the reviews on all tents you are considering buying. -Some tents leak water even when they are new, Small print says "new, must seal all seams before use". Water tightness is probably the most important quality to look for in a tent.

I've had success with early model MEC tents and more recently tents from Mountain Hardware.

I now use a 2 person tent for solo tripping. Find 3 person tents are great for a couple.

If you are still tripping in early October then maybe look at some 3 season tents.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted as to your eventual purchase.

GG

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com

PostPosted: September 25th, 2021, 1:54 pm 

Tents are available in a wide set of features, so beyond weight we all may have a different set of wants. I am on to my fourth MSR Hubba Hubba and adore the size/robustness/weight ratios. For hot nights I do find it too warm and switch to a full mesh tent - right now that's a Marmot Tungsten UL2, not a fan of the asymmetrical layout -(I like simple) but the price, weight, and full mesh were selling points. I am 188cm tall, so many tents are a bit too short to stretch out without touching ends. The MSR Hubba Hubba and the Marmot are both long enough for me.

If I were looking to buy the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2, would also be a contender based on specs and reviews, but I have not used one myself.

Last edited by Darl-h on September 25th, 2021, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2021, 1:56 pm 

Gerald Guay wrote:
Check out the reviews on all tents you are considering buying. -Some tents leak water even when they are new, Small print says "new, must seal all seams before use". Water tightness is probably the most important quality to look for in a tent.

I've had success with early model MEC tents and more recently tents from Mountain Hardware.

I now use a 2 person tent for solo tripping. Find 3 person tents are great for a couple.

If you are still tripping in early October then maybe look at some 3 season tents.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted as to your eventual purchase.

GG

Hi Gerald,

Thanks for the suggestions. I feel the Hubba Hubba is a pretty reliable model. We are looking for a summer lightweight tripping tent so I am specifically interested in anyone who may have chosen something other than the Hubba Hubba line and why.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2021, 2:03 pm 

Darl-h wrote:
Tents are available in a wide set of features, so beyond weight we all may have a different set of wants. I am on to my fourth MSR Hubba Hubba and adore the size/robustness/weight ratios. For hot nights I do find it too warm and switch to a full mesh tent - right now that's a Marmot Tungsten UL2, not a fan of the asymmetrical layout -(I like simple) but the price, weight, and full mesh were selling points. I am 188cm tall, so many tents are a bit too short to stretch out without touching ends. The MSR Hubba Hubba and the Marmot are both long enough for me.

If I were looking to buy the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2, would also be a contender based on specs and reviews, but I have not used one myself.

Thanks for the feedback. The BA is out because it is only 42 inches at the feet (we need a tent that is at least 45 inches at the feet).

The note about the HH being hot is good to know as my husband runs hot.

The Marmot sounds like it might be an option.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2021, 2:53 pm 

i often use midori2 solo in spring/fall/summer, little heavier than same size msr hubba
as long as some wind protection/trees around this tent has proven more than excellent.
waterproofing excellent out of box. 2 doors. 4 doors if you look at each twice.
not expensive. and often on sale (pre covid, at least).
im sure you know to consider 3 persons for max comfort (for 2) but i'll just put it out there.
easy fast setup. simple. works. light.. simply a Eureka! moment lol.
check the options for super light stuff at MEC and Mountain Hardware. But more $$$.
here is midori2 without fly

PostPosted: September 25th, 2021, 3:35 pm 

remogami wrote:
i often use midori2 solo in spring/fall/summer, little heavier than same size msr hubba
as long as some wind protection/trees around this tent has proven more than excellent.
waterproofing excellent out of box. 2 doors. 4 doors if you look at each twice.
not expensive. and often on sale (pre covid, at least).
im sure you know to consider 3 persons for max comfort (for 2) but i'll just put it out there.
easy fast setup. simple. works. light.. simply a Eureka! moment lol.
check the options for super light stuff at MEC and Mountain Hardware. But more $$$.
here is midori2 without fly

Thanks for the suggestion but that’s in the weight range of our current tent. I’m looking for something lighter. The MSR HH is a good option. I’ve looked at options online but I’m looking for personal experiences people have had with other tents in the same weight range as the HH

PostPosted: September 25th, 2021, 4:17 pm 

For 6'3" me, my wife and our two dogs we've been using a Tarptent Rainshadow 3 for ultralight backpacking/tripping.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2021, 8:07 am 

I have a Hubba Hubba and used it for years but its tight for two; I thinnk Mutha would be better for two. I liked it somewhat for solo but disliked the pole system. For small hands it was very awkward to fold up and darn unpleasant when wet and cold.

Switched to a Marmot Limelight 3, The three poles are separate and easier to fold. What I don't like is crawling over the mesh in the door.. I wish it opened a different way. In that respect the HH is superior.

Lightweight often means mesh.. Mesh is sometimes not your friend if you camp on sand, the desert or near freezing. For that reason we have a Mountain Hardware Trango 3.1 tent that is our shoulder season and desert camping fave. Its not light however being a four season tent.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2021, 9:41 am 

Thanks littered canoe. Both my solo and our two person are mesh so that is okay. Just looking for light/ more compact for packing

PostPosted: September 26th, 2021, 7:06 pm 

I would also recommend Nemo…good tents and great customer service.

I have a MSR Hubba Hubba NX. Love the tent but it doesn’t come seam sealed. For the price of it, it should.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2021, 8:25 pm 

Hi Sam,

Thank you. I think the Nemos are too narrow at the feet? We need something 45 inches wide. I did look at them initially.

Is there a specific one you were thinking of?

It also looks like as of 2020, MSR is seam sealing the HH?

PostPosted: September 27th, 2021, 6:50 am 

Look for tents that pitch fly first or as a unit. We can have our Hilleberg Naldo pitched in half the time that others take with North American freestanding tents. Our Durston X Mid is even quicker. Both have room for two wide pads.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2021, 8:12 am 

I have a Big Agnes Salt Creek SL3 that I enjoy. It’s fairly light weight and it has a third door which I find really helps with ventilation on hot days. It’s quite versatile but you can certainly find lighter options if that’s your primary goal.