It is currently March 19th, 2024, 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 9th, 2021, 9:43 am 

Mosquitoes are the worst, but I don’t know how to feel about this? Just read an article where they are releasing genetically modified mosquitoes in Florida. Sounds like a super bad idea.
https://apple.news/A5pNVF6WFSJSYWxetqdioYw

PostPosted: June 10th, 2021, 4:34 pm 

It seems that we want to default to finding fault with anything genetically modified, and that may well be the best way to view things like this; I don't know, or have a strong opinion at this point.

But I do think that it's worth boiling tough questions down to the basics for possible easier consideration of them, and in this case, to me, it seems like it's a question of is it worse to use a known cure for a significant known problem, a cure that appears to present less collateral risk to the environment than present alternatives, or is it worse to not use it for fear of a possible future unknown problem?

West Nile notwithstanding, I think that here in Canada we don't feel the urgent need to try to stop the spread of dengue fever, malaria, etc. as do people in warmer climates, and so it may be a luxury for us to dither about GMO mosquitoes when people are being killed by the non-GMO varieties elsewhere.

I'm thinking that villagers dying of malaria wherever, are likely big fans of the GMO concept for mosquitoes, if someone ever bothered for their opinion or awareness. And really, I'm thinking that their vote on that should count more than mine.

To me, GMO seems just selective breeding sped up. We have been selective breeding everything we eat since we dropped down from the trees. It's not something that I spend a great deal of time thinking about really. Maybe I should learn more. Good thing to talk about though.

My 2 cents anyway, cheers Mollycollie.

Ubique

PostPosted: June 12th, 2021, 12:37 pm 

I agree with your two cents, and up you with this interesting info: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57417219

PostPosted: June 13th, 2021, 10:54 am 

Cheryl, wow, that was pretty impressive. Politics aside, there are some pretty smart people out there thinking outside the old box.

There might possibly be some reason for concern with the bacteria approach and the GMO approach, and there are certainly concerns about the use of pesticides, etc., but the reduction in human lives lost is a heavy thing to weigh those things against.

It seems that only time will tell, but in the meantime, a lot fewer people will die from mosquito borne pathogens.
Cheers!

Ubique