It is currently March 19th, 2024, 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Paging Mr Unlostify
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2021, 7:42 am 

I would see no reason to buy the new map unless there is a very serious overhaul to address the many errors----e.g just show the 'real' sites, y'know the kind with tent pads! That would require park staff to actually inspect the sites. While they are at it maybe they could add the more suitable unmarked sites that are often quite near their 'faux sites'. Having consistent numbers on the maps is convenient for trip reports and discussion, but apart from that it would be of little concern to me or many other trippers.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2021, 8:06 am 

cheryl wrote:
I agree with the comments about some of the site location. We paddled the upper French in May, and visited 19 sites. Only 4 of them could fit a tent, were habitual or safe.

Hi Cheryl,

I remember my trip with you and the BCKC a few years back and how we stopped at a couple of soc called sites coming out of Fox Lake. We ended up on 918, which was on the island just E of Major. As mentioned above, 918 has now been relocated to an inferior site on Major. Meanwhile there is a much better unmarked site further S on that same small I.

We also check out 1 or 2 so called on sites coming down the Pickerel.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2021, 11:59 am 

wotrock, given what this thread is about, why not edit your title so that it reads Paging French River PP Managers. This is in no way an Unlostify issue.

If anything, they will have to print a new hardcopy edition of their map since their current one will be out of date. So will the Friends of French River map! I guess that is the price of progress!

As for the CS# changes being a minor inconvenience to most - true enough. However, for some who are new to or less familiar with the G'Bay coast and its maze of bays, islands, and channels, a campsite number on a map is always an easy way to confirm that they are indeed where they thought were or a way of re-orienting themselves. With the new numbers, some will be left very confused as they stare at their Unlostify or Fof FRPP maps.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2021, 1:06 pm 

I have given that some thought. My main objectives at the pt are:

warn newbies that many of the sites shown on the map are quite unusable

get Jeff's attention so you may choose to add corrective/cautionary notes

discourage readers from buying the new map in the faint hope that it will accurately reflect conditions 'on the ground'

I think the prospect of the park staff inspecting the sites to determine which ones are duds is quite remote. It's been at least a decade since I pointed out some of the issues to the park sup't and have seen little if any improvement since. I really cannot be bothered talking to them again

PostPosted: September 7th, 2021, 2:12 pm 

I am going to invest in a new map. With the wind and weather, the way it s, I hate heading for a site that no longer exists.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2022, 4:50 pm 

I was at Sojourn's in Barrie today. Took a look at the 2021 FR map. They still have the site erroneously marked on Finger I. Not sure what the # is now. I couldn't care less about the # on non-existent CS's. Mind boggling incompetence!!

PostPosted: May 5th, 2022, 1:59 pm 

Good to hear that the updated Fof FRPP maps are available. Since I already own the two previous editions, I'll pass on this one! Given that the park has existed for almost 50 years and is presumably aimed at canoe trippers, the map is sadly lacking in portage information.

For some paddlers, the campsite # marker is useful as a way of confirming that they are indeed where they think they are. There will be some confusion in the next few months as newbie paddlers with out-of-date maps wonder why the CS # they are staring at does not match the one on their map! Maybe the Parks folk should just give a free copy of the new updated map to those booking a multi-day trip in the park?

I still can't believe they would decommission that campsite 920 on Finger Island in Fox Bay. It is a sheltered spot. In the new numbering scheme, it appears as 726. I'd camp there again if the circumstances required it.

For those who already have maps - the Jeff's maps, the Unlostify Maps, or earlier printings of the official Park Maps, here is the sheet with the new campsite numbers.

PostPosted: May 5th, 2022, 4:26 pm 

true_north wrote:
be the Parks folk should just give a free copy of the new updated map to those booking a multi-day trip in the park?

I still can't believe they would decommission that campsite 920 on Finger Island in Fox Bay. It is a sheltered spot. In the new numbering scheme, it appears as 726. I'd camp there again if the circumstances required it.
]

I have given up on finding any logic behind what the FRPP is doing. Moving 918 over to worse sit on Major I to conform to what the map says just boggles my mind. There are 3 possible sites in that immediate area. The 'new' 918 is the worst. The 918 in it's old location is better and the best site is unmarked. 3 possibilities, 2 'guesses,, both 'wrong'
!! :evil: