It is currently July 24th, 2019, 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 7th, 2018, 1:51 pm 

Found this today on Kickstarter.
Somewear, Wonder if this is the next generation of BC communication?
It appears to have real time two way texting. paired to a smart phone it appears to have a tonne of potential.
I remember the day when we’d swing by a fish camp and use a radio telephone ☎️ to check in.......
Hugh

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... m=Somewear

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2018, 5:26 pm 

Looks like a useful device. If I understand correctly, you would still have to carry your cell phone so you have to look at Somewear as a package with your cell phone - weight-wise and battery-wise.

For example:
The weight of the Somewear is 3 oz.
Weight of an Apple iPhone 8 is 5.22 oz. and an iPhone 8+ is 7.13 oz.
Total weight is 8 to 10 oz.
If you plan to take your phone anyway then the weight of the phone would not be included.

The inReach Explorer+ (with full GPS) weighs 7.5 oz.
The inReach SE+ weighs 7.5 oz.

Looks like inReach has the same or less weight and you only have one battery to worry about. Going against the inReach is that the keyboard is not easy to use.

Initial subscription costs seem very resonable for Somewear.

It will be interesting to see how this develops.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2018, 8:07 pm 

Seems to me it's basically an InReach that without a charged phone is pretty much useless except for SOS.

An InReach on the other hand can be mated with a smartphone (bluetooth) for all the same functionality OR operate as a stand alone unit still fully capable of all the communication functions.

It's a small device which is nice but on it's own it's more like a first Generation Spot (can send an SOS), the projected monthly fees are quite similar to an InReach, I presume the unit price itself will be fairly low if it's to compete with an InReach (and SPOT if/when they enter the two-way market).

My initial thought is that this might be a good option for "off the cell phone grid" travel but maybe not so good for truly remote off-grid.

Besides cost the main reason I dumped my satellite phone was because I figured that in a REAL emergency I would end up separated from it and I think the same would be true if I was carrying a smartphone.

If this device itself is cheap enough to purchase I can see a lot of potential users totally unrelated to extended backcountry wilderness travel.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2018, 8:11 pm 

I think it is good to have more competition in the market. Garmin bought InReach to kill the competition - plain and simple. They probably could have developed their own for cheaper but it was a better business move to kill the competition outright rather than try to take them head on.

Chances are high these guys will get bought out too if they get anywhere.

EDIT: ps., when someone uses "ounces", this is what it sounds like in my ears :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-KJoU6OBTc&t=11s

PostPosted: April 18th, 2018, 12:14 pm 

More players in the game. Haven’t even had time to check it out but...
http://www.satphonestore.com/applicatio ... tspot.html

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.