It is currently March 18th, 2024, 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 2:38 pm 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

tostig wrote:
hikerneil wrote:
Yeah, I have been printing my own sheets for some time now ....

Do they have gridlines and adequate information for compass bearings? If you get lost using one of these 8x11 printouts, won't the authorities claim you were negligent wandering around without the proper information?
I only speak from experience with National Geographic Topo! which I use for the NE USA. The maps they scanned are 1:24 000 and are a joy to work with. But, yes. The program allows you to apply either a Lat/long or UTM grid and choose the color for on-screen viewing or printed copy.

I always print the UTM numbers on the map margins and I manually draw the magnetic grid lines on top of everything else.

Last edited by Hiker Neil on May 20th, 2008, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 2:42 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

hikerneil wrote:
Barbara wrote:
Where does Garmin get their data for their maps?
They make it up.

Thanks for the helpful answer.

I guess that's why they charge so much.

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 3:09 pm 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

Barbara wrote:
hikerneil wrote:
Barbara wrote:
Where does Garmin get their data for their maps?
They make it up.

Thanks for the helpful answer.

I guess that's why they charge so much.

Barbara
It costs a lot to feed and house the elves who diligently draw all those contour lines, lake and rivers. Maybe they could get a LIPP or an OFY grant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 7:14 pm 

tostig wrote:
hikerneil wrote:
Yeah, I have been printing my own sheets for some time now ....

Do they have gridlines and adequate information for compass bearings? ?

Yes. They are just scanned versions of the federal topo maps. If you are excerpting an area to print on a 8 1/2 by 11 sheet, it's just a matter of transferring the UTM co-ords from the margin of the map unto the printed sheet. Likewise, the declination info can be transferred.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 8:41 pm 

Quote:
Maybe they could get a LIPP or an OFY grant.

That made me chuckle....surely they don't still have those programs anymore, they were (mostly) a complete waste of money!

I should know I had both!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 30th, 2008, 4:00 pm 

Would topo maps from Garmin (or your favourite GPS) be a good alternate from purchasing federal or provincial topo maps?

Would the printouts from Garmin include complete gridelines, magnetic north and adjustments etc instead of just a pretty picture?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 5th, 2008, 7:30 am 

Does anyone know if there's any way of getting Oziexplorer to work on the topo from the federal Natural Resources website?

Erhard,
I thought you posted something similar ealier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 5th, 2008, 3:22 pm 

wotrock wrote:
Does anyone know if there's any way of getting Oziexplorer to work on the topo from the federal Natural Resources website?

Erhard,
I thought you posted something similar ealier.

I can't find the specific post where someone revealed the solution: these were extensions to Ozi http://www.oziexplorer3.com/eng/optional_extras.html

I think they were
* Geotiff Support File and
* PNG Image Loading Support Files

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 5th, 2008, 5:31 pm 

Wotrock,

As Erhard says, you need to get the OziGeoTiff.dll file (which is in the OziGeoTiff.zip file available from Erhard's link) and place it in the same folder as you have the Ozi executable (but I don't believe you need the file for loading png images).

If you then go to the Ozi File menu, select the Import Map item, then either the Single DRG Map (if you only want to import a single map) or the All DRG Maps on a CD or in a Folder (if you want to import several maps in a folder).

A dialog box will open, and you tell it where where the image file(s) are (these are the .tif files you extract from the zip you downloaded). You then choose where you want the calibration file(s) to be kept (they have .map extension). Make sure you have the Use Geotiff if Available box checked, and click the Import button. In a blink it will extract the georeferencing information from the .tif files and create the .map files from it.

HTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 6:44 pm 

Thx very much, Navigator. With your instructions and my son's help, I got that to work.

Now another map question: I seem to recall that one was given a choice as to what type of file the downloaded topo map was to be put in---JPG, TIF or PDF. Now I don't see that option offered. Is my memory failing me, or what am I overlooking?
thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 7:56 pm 

Wotrock,

If you are using map images with OziExplorer you absolutely don't want to use either jpeg or pdf format. Tif is by far the best choice because it can be paged into memory (a small bit of the image at a time), whereas jpeg has to be loaded entirely into memory (which can mean a lot of disc swapping if you don't have enough RAM available). Additionally, the colour depth of the tif should be 256 - that is to say it uses only 1 byte per pixel, whereas jpreg is always 3 bytes per pixel - hence uses 3 times the amount of RAM for a given number of pixels. Furthermore, loading is much slower with jpeg because it is a compressed format and has to be decompressed before loading into RAM.

PDF is simply not readable by OziExplorer.

HTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2008, 7:50 pm 

Thx, Navigator. Actually, what I was trying to do was to print an excerpt from a topo map. I don't see how to do that with Ozi but I can do it with other sooftware such as the windows file manager and paint. Can Ozi do excerpts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2008, 11:35 pm 

Wotrock,

Ozi does a great job of printing. Go to File/Print/Print Map Image to see a whole host of options. You can even get a preview of what would be printed by clicking on the 'Preview' button!

Set your printer options first (Setup button), check the portrait/landscape and colour/b&w settings on the Ozi 'Select' tab before you try to print. If you want to select an area to print, zoom the map out until you can see all your area and then use the button to the left of the area options to draw a rectangle around the area you want to print (either specify the scale or fit to page).

HTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2008, 6:57 pm 

Barbara wrote:
Where does Garmin get their data for their maps? Are they not based on Canadian topo maps?

Yes, since no one else has surveyed Canada. Businesses used to pay a royalty but now the data is free for any type of private or commercial use. The only restriction is the government requires their copyright notice be included. I don't own any Garmin maps but it has to be in the fineprint somewhere.

Post subject: Re: Canadian Topo maps
PostPosted: January 18th, 2009, 11:42 am 

ba da bump

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next