It is currently March 19th, 2024, 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Canadian Topo maps
PostPosted: August 28th, 2010, 9:09 pm 

wotrock:
It is the weekend and I can't get the site to respond but not unusual. try Monday Find the number of the map you want in Toporama IE: 41A14 Then use this site.

http://www.geogratis.gc.ca/geogratis/en ... anned.html

Open:

* CanMatrix - Print Ready, Digital Topographic Maps of Canada [http|ftp

Then open 50K choose the foremate that works for you.
The UTM grid is on these maps. The maps are scans. I take them in to Photoshop and work with them. Save them as JPG then any one can view them.

Just check and the site is working at 22:23 Sat.

Stay safe
OAF

PostPosted: August 28th, 2010, 10:02 pm 

I import the tif file from Canamatrix into Adobe Acrobat Professional and then "print" choosing Adobe as my printer, using "tile large images" or "tile all images" under the drop down menu: "Page Scaling." You can choose the amount of overlap you want. I chose .5 inches to make it easy to see where the tiles fit together.

This method essentially gives you a pdf booklet of 15 8.5x11 maps that cover the whole of the full sheet. This size is much cheaper to print out than a full size color map. I believe I paid 11 cents a page at Kinko's Fed Ex Office.

For my recent trip to Missinabie, the route meandered over 4 full size sheets. I was able to pick the relevant "tiles" and put them in order, labeling them 1 to 11 and marking the route with a yellow highlighter. While 4 full size maps might have been a bit easier to deal with, I couldn't begin to afford the cost of printing that large format and didn't have the time to order printed copies from Canada before my trip.

I used the georeferenced version of the files, because I didn't know about the photo ready ones. I just tried a photo ready file and it seemed to "print" to 15 tiles much faster than the much larger georeference files.

This method turned out to be very easy, once I'd tinkered with it. But then again, I use Adobe Acrobat Professional a lot and am familiar with it.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2010, 10:38 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

wotrock wrote:
Does anyone know if UTM co-ords are available in Toporama? I can't seem to get them to show up
Thx

Click on "get info from map", then click on a location in the map. A new window will open, that includes UTM coords info.

Attachment:
get info from map_II.jpg

Attachment:
info from map II.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2011, 8:38 am 

Oldand Fat wrote:
wotrock:

http://www.geogratis.gc.ca/geogratis/en ... anned.html

Open:

* CanMatrix - Print Ready, Digital Topographic Maps of Canada [http|ftp

Stay safe
OAF

Following this link I now get PDF files that I cannot edit, even though the index says they are TIF files??

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2011, 9:55 am 

Following the link to Geogratis "print-ready" scans given above, when you get down to here
ftp://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canmatrix2/
there are two sub-folders for each map scale - one for tif images and one for pdf images (which, as far as I can see, is the same raster image as the tif encapsulated in a pdf format).

Did you just select the wrong folder by mistake?

If you want the images with the georeferencing information in them (e.g. for importing into OziExplorer), then you need the other link (CanMatrix - Georeferenced, Digital Topographic Maps of Canada), not the "print-ready" one.

HTH

PostPosted: July 11th, 2011, 10:53 am 

Thx, Navigator. Now I'm baffled--Yesterday I clicked on the link I posted on page 1. That gives me a different index where the only choice is a TIF file. When I clicked on that yesterday I ended up with a PDF file. When I clicked on it just now I get a TIF file that I cannot manipulate at all---cannot edit, cannot print. When I click on your link I get the same thing! Totally baffled.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2011, 12:35 pm 

Wotrock,

Your link on page 1 has http on the front instead of ftp, but I don't think this is the cause of the problem (the link I used is ftp://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canmatrix/).

When I click on my link, I get to a folder with four sub-folders: 250k_300dpi, 50k_300dpi, doc and wmc.

Clicking on the 50k_300dpi folder link, I get a list of a lot of folders with 3-digit names. Clicking on one of these (e.g. 041) I get to a list of many single-character alphabetic folders, clicking on one of these (e.g. i), I get to a list of zip files with names like canmatrix_041i02_tif.zip.

If I download that file, and open it, I see one .tif file, two .html files and two .xml files. If I extract the tif file, I can open it in, for example, Paint.

At what stage of this process I describe do you see something different?

HTH

PostPosted: July 13th, 2011, 7:26 am 

I follow the same path as you. The diff is that, when I open the file, the 'save as' and 'print' options are ghosted out. So I can just 'view' or 'delete' I guess it's a problem with my computer.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2011, 8:23 am 

The limitation will be caused by one or more of your security settings. Let me know which operating system you use, and I'll tell you where the settings are (part of my day job is to configure security settings for users!).

HTH

PostPosted: July 13th, 2011, 8:42 pm 

I use windows 7

PostPosted: July 14th, 2011, 7:56 am 

Wotrock,

Check that you have permission to download files. In Control Panel, open Internet Options, then click on the Security tab and then the Internet icon (the globe). Click on the Custom Level button and in the resulting window, scroll about half-way down to the Downloads section and check that the File Download option (the first one in this section) is set to Enable. After that, click OK until you closed all the windows you've just opened. Close your browser and try downloading again.

I'm not sure which browser you use, but using the example of IE9, after I have drilled down the folder tree at the ftp link to the last level, I see a list of zip files with names like canmatrix_041i03_tif.zip showing as blue links. When I left-click on one of the file names,I get a window opening that asks me what I want to do with the file: Open, Save or Save As. What do you see at this point?

If I click on Save, it then gets saved into my default download folder ('Downloads', aka C:Users<your username>Downloads). I can then open the zip and extract the tif image file.

Hope this makes some sense!

PostPosted: January 7th, 2012, 5:15 pm 

The link to the index map that I posted above seems to be defunct. Here's another one(Cannot find an official Fred Gov index)
http://www.maptown.com/canadiantopograp ... -maps.html

PostPosted: January 7th, 2012, 8:02 pm 

Wotrock:
Just tried it and it worked. 2000 hours EST
Find the number here: http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/topo/map
Find the map here: ftp://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canmatrix2/
I use the 50K tif. take them into Photoshop.
Stay Safe
OAF

PostPosted: January 8th, 2012, 12:46 pm 

OAF,
My link is for the Fed topos, scanned or paper whereas yours is for Toporama. Doesn't hurt to have both posted here.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2012, 3:50 pm 

Hay Wotrock:
It would likely help if I read the posts first and then waited until I was sober before I replied, :oops:

I got an hours paddle on the bay this afternoon. Kayak, nobody want to canoe with me in the winter.

Stay safe
OAF

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next