It is currently April 7th, 2020, 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: March 17th, 2016, 9:32 am 

rpg51: You are right. I tested my iPad again with no cell or internet and the background satellite images in Google Maps were of poor quality. This jogged my memory that it is a common problem once you are beyond cell coverage. Most of my comments were related to using Google Maps for "navigation" when using cell service. I will edit my first post to make it more useful.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2016, 9:48 am 

If you could download google maps with the greatest detail available that wold be great. Also, I am going to check the area in the Yukon where I will be - it may be that the detail is not as great anyway and that it will work fine. Later.

Rob

PostPosted: March 17th, 2016, 12:52 pm 

Rob, you asked, Brian - what do you use for gps software and maps? Do you use google earth or google maps?

Like you, I still rely on paper maps for day to day navigation, with the very odd compass use as my situational awareness with a map usually does the job. So on my iPad I've never got around to downloading a GPS app. I do add Google Earth images of things like height land portages and I do add complete 1:50 and 1:250 topo maps images but these images are usually PDFs or similar so I can view this with the ios software without downloading any extra apps. I do have PDF Maps app and Canada app (Topographic Maps Canada) installed as well as the inReach app, which of course is a GPS. I do not use Google Maps while on canoe trips.
For this summer, I may try these apps:
Gaia gps and offline topo maps
Canada Maplets
MotionX-GPS
UTM Grid Ref Compass

PostPosted: March 17th, 2016, 1:30 pm 

Part of the problem for me is that I have a full time day job which is pretty much 60 hours a week and by the time I figure something out along these lines the technology changes and I am back to square one on the learning curve. Ugh. :x

I think the key right now for me is learning how to pull an image from google earth or similar display of a satellite image and geo-referencing it and bringing it into Gaia. This may be a tall order for me. But I do know it can be done according to the Gaia support people I really should have someone walk me through it step by step in person. But who?

The other thing is this - so far as I can tell he google earth images of the area in the Yukon I am going to are not that detailed anyway. The images of my home in Vermont are incredible. I can see my green truck and my red kayaks sitting in the driveway clearly. But the confluence of the Peel and the Wind is not all that clear. So if I can't find better satellite images I may just download the ones I do have and have them for viewing but give up on the idea of incorporating them into Gaia.

Does anyone know of better satellite images in the central Yukon? Or am I missing something when I am using Google Earth?

Rob

PostPosted: March 17th, 2016, 4:18 pm 

rpg51 wrote:

Does anyone know of better satellite images in the central Yukon? Or am I missing something when I am using Google Earth?

Have you checked out Bing?

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2016, 4:24 pm 

Nope. I'll check it out.

Rob

PostPosted: March 20th, 2016, 7:02 pm 

There is an interesting article in today's New York Times about traditional methods for navigating sailing canoes in the Polynesian Islands, touching in part on the effects of using GPS on one's spatial awareness.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2016, 7:17 pm 

I did check out Bing - maybe I'm missing something?

Rob

PostPosted: March 21st, 2016, 12:15 pm 

Anyone use or consider one of the rugged cell phones, such as:

Sonim XP7
http://www.sonimtech.ca/products.php

CAT
http://www.catphones.com/en-gb

PostPosted: March 21st, 2016, 3:13 pm 

rpg51 wrote:
I did check out Bing - maybe I'm missing something?

The Bing sat pix are sometimes much better than Google, or at least used to be.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2016, 3:15 pm 

Looks about the same ...

Rob

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2016, 7:43 am 

Regarding battery issues and iDevices: I made a number of settings changes on my iPad mini including putting it in airplane mode and shutting down all apps running except Gaia. For example, I set the screen brightness to manual and turned it to an acceptable brightness. Other changes as well as recommended here -- http://www.adventurealan.com/iphone-gps ... ckpacking/. (EDIT - This web page is a must read if you are using an iDevice on multi day trips). I charged the mini to 100%. I put my iPad mini to sleep three days ago to test the background battery drain when in sleep mode and unused.

I checked it today. It is still showing 100% battery remaining. Very encouraging.

My plan next is to top off the charge and then carry it with me every day to and from work etc. and check my position in Gaia occasionally, check out a bird on the bird app I have, look at maps on pdf or Gaia in the evening like I would normally do, maybe do a little reading and make a trip note or two, and otherwise just leave it asleep. I'll use the screen brightness that works well no matter where I am. This will at least somewhat simulate the kind of use I will give the iPad when I am on a trip. I want to see how the battery holds up. Note that I am doing no tracking at all. Tracking consumes battery and I honestly don't need tracking. Also, you can set Gaia to use the gps chip always or only when you ask it to. I have it set for always now but that can be changed and will help conserve battery use as wall. I don't need my position shown in the evening when I am just looking around on maps and using other apps. I suspect that one of the biggest issues is screen brightness. By setting to manual control I am better able to control brightness to suit the conditions and conserve where possible. Also, temperature affects battery life as well. Our ambient temps right now in Vermont are pretty similar to temps on a typical canoe trip I take. I may do a background consumption test like I just did only leave the iPad out in my garage to see if the colder temps make a difference.

I am encouraged by the fact that this iPad is using virtually no battery in sleep mode right now. Remarkable. That was not the case in the past. I think it is a combination of better software/hardware in the new releases and my own education and practices I have implemented. I'm very encouraged by this. But - I recognize the test is how it holds up with the typical use it will get on a trip. That remains to be seen.

Rob

Last edited by rpg51 on March 23rd, 2016, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2016, 5:58 pm 

Keep up the good work.
We are awaiting more results.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2016, 6:38 pm 

Brian - on your long trips with your iPad - what did you use to recharge? How many days were you getting before you needed a recharge?

Rob

PostPosted: March 24th, 2016, 9:14 am 

rpg51 wrote:
Looks about the same ...

I just thought it was worth a try. That's why I suggested it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next