It is currently May 27th, 2020, 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Garmin GPS Map 64
PostPosted: January 18th, 2020, 4:24 pm 

Looking to purchase first GPS. Will still have paper and compass( and know how to use them). Is something like the attached a good place to start. Mainly a back up and confirmation of location, also for tracking trips.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/65921/garmin-gpsmap-64

Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Map 64
PostPosted: January 18th, 2020, 4:32 pm 

The 64 is a good unit, if you want to save a bit of money I just bought a GPSMAP78s which is a recently discontinued model, about US$120 from GPS City/eBay.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2020, 5:47 pm 

Since the 66 has been out for a while, you should be able to find even better prices on the 64. I haven't researched these for a while, since I bought a 64 a couple of years ago for SAR and canoe racing. I have accumulated four of the older favored 60csx units (while I could, through ebay), which have my standby GPS units as by far the best unit for my needs. I intensely dislike my 64. it eats batteries as only one of many reasons. I can set my watch when it needs to have expensive lithium batteries replaced at only 7 hours. I almost threw the dang thing into the Yukon River during a race a while back. My 60's will last at least 24 hours one one set of batteries. Changing batteries during a SAR incident is not a big deal, but not while actively in a race. I also have the newer 66, a slight improvement, but not much better IMO. In addition, I dislike the display format, which is much different and less intuitive on the 60. The other problem, possibly unique only to me, is the mounting method. The 60 mounts to a clamp that screw-clamps onto a canoe thwart or a bicycle handlebar for easy removal of the unit to mount on different canoes. But the newer models require a different type of mount, using cable ties, which have to be cut for every removal.

Last edited by nessmuk on January 19th, 2020, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2020, 7:10 pm 

Scoops, you are looking for a GPS as back up and for confirmation of location and if you are a smartphone user then just use your smartphone.
You also mentioned for tracking trips. Again, a smartphone might work for this, although tracking might increase battery usage to the point where using a dedicated GPS unit might be beneficial, providing you get a low battery usage GPS.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2020, 9:40 am 

60csx, all the features you need.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2020, 10:07 am 

I strongly agree with Brian. I work in GIS and make mapping products for field workers on both tablets (Avenza app, georeferenced PDF) and for GPS units (IMG files). We mostly use the 64 and, in my opinion, Avenza is far superior in almost every way. The maps you can view on it are far better and the tools are easier to use.

There are some advantages for a GPS: the unit is more rugged, you can carry extra batteries, and typically the spatial accuracy is better than a cell phone (but not to a degree that matters to a paddler).

But even with these advantages, I think GPS units are archaic and wouldn't invest a penny into one at this point in time if I already had a cell phone on which to use Avenza Maps.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2020, 11:31 am 

Phone vs GPS. Interesting discussion.
Map accuracy is the issue.
This thread has been helpful, as have others.

ps. Just got off the phone with my son who works GIS with Avenza in Toronto. He promises me a tutorial. I may finally get up to speed and into the 21st century, previously having relied totally on paper maps and compass. Even driving. Ha. Old dog.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2020, 2:27 pm 

Where can I get a quality smartphone for <$200, that is waterproof and will give me 7 - 10 days use on a single pair of AA batteries?

PostPosted: January 19th, 2020, 6:38 pm 

Odyssey wrote:
Phone vs GPS. Interesting discussion.
Map accuracy is the issue.
This thread has been helpful, as have others.
I may finally get up to speed and into the 21st century, previously having relied totally on paper maps and compass. Even driving. Ha. Old dog.
I'm impressed and think that is great. Although many will disagree, I have always thought that the best compass is a compass (a real compass), a dedicated GPS is a GPS, neither compass nor a map needs batteries. A phone is a device meant for actually communicating by talking to someone by voice, not for exercising your thumbs to press tiny keys as letters. If you want to communicate with me a paragraph of information about something, use voicemail if I don't answer my home landline phone or send email to my full size (or laptop) computer.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2020, 7:16 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

recped wrote:
Where can I get a quality smartphone for <$200, that is waterproof and will give me 7 - 10 days use on a single pair of AA batteries?

What sort of usage gets these results? I had a Garmin 78. I sold it because I didn't like using it. The couple of trips when I did use it with tracking turned on I was getting about 4 days from a pair of Lithiums. Could have been user error.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2020, 5:35 am 

On extended trips where i will not be using GPS often, I keep the unit powered off until i need it. In these cases, a dedicated handheld suits my needs better than a phone because it powers up more quickly. On a single day use, or if you have enough battery power to last multiple days, either is fine.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2020, 10:29 am 

I have never been a fan of using battery power to record all day tracking. At the end of the day I use the "route" feature to retrace my day and then save it. I then do a route of my intended next day paddle. I activate that route the next morning and when needed I turn on the GPS to navigate. Following the line on the GPS's map through thick fog, island studded lakes or through small gaps in long peninsulas with ease.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2020, 2:28 pm 

I have been using a GPSMAP76cx for the last 10 years or so, it it always in tracking mode (5 sec increments) from the time I leave camp to arrival at the next camp. Using AA Lithium batteries I've been getting 7 - 10 days (+/- 7 hours per day).

That unit has started to "die" so I've replaced it with a 78s which I have not yet really tested for battery length. I noticed that the default setting for the backlight was 50%, changed that immediately, also had to make an adjustment to the wi-fi settings to make sure that didn't ever get turned on. Additional tweaks to the power saving, display, compass and altimeter modes also help reduce battery use.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2020, 4:29 pm 

@recped

You also have an inReach, I believe. Why do you not use that for tracking? Battery conservation?

PostPosted: January 20th, 2020, 6:15 pm 

The InReach only does 10 minute increments, with the GPS at 5 sec increments I can "see" exactly where rapids start and stop and a reasonable record of the line I took, if I made any eddy stops or on occasion how long and how far I swam after a dump! Also records floating smoke breaks, effects of current and headwinds and other minutia. All this data makes it possible to more accurately document a trip for posterity.

The InReach tracking is always on as well but it's only for real-time viewing by my followers.