It is currently August 15th, 2020, 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Garmin GPS Map 64
PostPosted: January 20th, 2020, 6:21 pm 

Marten wrote:
I have never been a fan of using battery power to record all day tracking. At the end of the day I use the "route" feature to retrace my day and then save it. I then do a route of my intended next day paddle. I activate that route the next morning and when needed I turn on the GPS to navigate. Following the line on the GPS's map through thick fog, island studded lakes or through small gaps in long peninsulas with ease.

I am puzzled as to how you can retrace your day if your GPS is off.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2020, 8:04 pm 

wotrock wrote:
Marten wrote:
I have never been a fan of using battery power to record all day tracking. At the end of the day I use the "route" feature to retrace my day and then save it. I then do a route of my intended next day paddle. I activate that route the next morning and when needed I turn on the GPS to navigate. Following the line on the GPS's map through thick fog, island studded lakes or through small gaps in long peninsulas with ease.

I am puzzled as to how you can retrace your day if your GPS is off.OR did I misunderstand what you were saying?

PostPosted: January 21st, 2020, 9:58 am 

wotrock wrote:
Marten wrote:

I am puzzled as to how you can retrace your day if your GPS is off.

What I meant is that I know where I paddled that day and go back on the map screen and use the route feature to produce points along the way that are put together as a "route" by the GPS. Not as perfect a record as Recped's tracking but I am mostly small lakes and portages so I do not need the fine river detail that he uses for his reports.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2020, 7:24 am 

I had the old 60 as well, and it was a very good GPS. The 64 so far has been no slouch either. I do get a full 8 hour day out of regular alkaline batteries. The 60 would get me about two days. I am doing route clearing, maintenance and documentation, so i leave it on for the entire time I am moving.

Here's the thing about phones vs GPS....if you just want to check your location once in a while, a phone is fine. I use the earthmate program that came with my inreach. It shows me where I am even without cell reception. However, if you are actually mucking about, there is a good chance you will damage your phone. I leave my GPS attached to the outside of my day bag, so it is always handy for marking waypoints. If it is raining, I put a ziplock baggie on it and stick it in a loose side pocket. AA batteries are cheap, and I really like being able to just pop them out and put new ones in. If a cell phone is used all day as a GPS, you will definitely need to recharge it each night, so on an extended trip you will need a few power banks.

I have dropped my 64 in the water a few times and it was fine. One submersion of your cell phone will probably kill it.

I don't know what the interface with computers is like for the cell phone programs, but I'm assuming transfer is done with bluetooth. Wondering how well this works. I spend a lot of time working on maps in Basecamp, and really like the ease that I can transfer data from the unit to the computer.

Just a few random thoughts. I still think a dedicated GPS is a good idea.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2020, 7:27 pm 

Thanks for the input.
A buddy of mine is a surveyor and uses a 64 for their general hacking through the bush. He also has an app on his cell that works good, water resistance and charging is an issue to me. Not worried about battery life as it wont be on all the time and like some one said AA's are cheap.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2020, 10:00 pm 

I Have always had my 60csx GPS units mounted in the bow of many race canoes that i paddle recreationally or during races. Rain or shine, through standing waves washing over me or in wind driven waves bow and stern, they often get fully submerged or very wet in waves or rain. Never had one fail yet. Most useful mainly for speed monitoring, direction finding is not normally used unless I am on a new potentially confusing route.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2020, 9:21 am 

GPS vs Phone? Much like everything else. Depends on how you want to use it. Last year, when we got a bit confused---never 'lost'---among the islands in the French delta, it was much faster to find our location on the cell phone----touch screen to scroll and zoom in and out.