It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 1:27 pm 

Do not shoot the bear! Send in the camp Social Worker to diffuse the situation

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 2:53 pm 

RHaslam wrote:
After trying unsuccessfully to submerge your food, should you try to shoot the bear with a 12 gauge slug before or after you take a leak in the lake, or should you spray the bear while standing in your tent on the tarp on your floor, not the one under your floor?

Before trying to submerge, don't forget to fill with protected recipes from days gone by

Dan. wrote:
If you go to MEC or the Portage store in Algonquin ask them for a 'food anchor', if the clerk doesn't know what you are referring to. Tell them to get some experience and ask for the manager.

If shopping at MEC, be sure to ask if they have any of the old or original anchors, from before they went downhill.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 3:34 pm 

You guys are killing me! :lol:

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 4:15 pm 

Dan. wrote:
For sure sink your food. No way a bear can get it then. But 1m is not deep enough. You should paddle out to at least 3M deep. Bears are really good swimmers, they can dive down 3-4M to catch fish.

Now, if you just barely sink your barrel, it can get taken by currents or wind and you might not find it. Make sure you use lots of weight. I recommend a small danforth anchor for this, they can be easily portaged strapped to the outside of the pack. Or, you can tie it to an end of your canoe.

If you go to MEC or the Portage store in Algonquin ask them for a 'food anchor', if the clerk doesn't know what you are referring to. Tell them to get some experience and ask for the manager.

Um, well, okay. But as the wise old saying goes: In for a penny in for a pound.
Therefore I wouldn't trust my brand new Danforth anchor with just any old rope. I'd use a chain.
Might as well do it right the first time. I'm not sure, I think that's another wise old saying.
I sure am learning a lot in this thread.

ps Should I lock the food to the chain...the chain to the anchor? This rabbit hole just goes on forever eh?

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 4:25 pm 

First things first - a spirited debate on the implications of indiscriminate anchor usage as it relates to First Nations issues.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 4:29 pm 

Yes you should use locks for all of those things. Combination locks are best because bear claws make excellent lock-picking devices. Keep in mind that bears that attack paddlers food supply are "smarter than your average bear"

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 6:25 pm 

recped wrote:
Yes you should use locks for all of those things. Combination locks are best because bear claws make excellent lock-picking devices. Keep in mind that bears that attack paddlers food supply are "smarter than your average bear"

Hey!!

Yellow Yellow was a New York State Resident. No way would she nor her family currently be allowed in Canada.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 7:55 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
Yellow Yellow was a New York State Resident. No way would she nor her family currently be allowed in Canada.
Yellow yellow was shot and killed legally during bear hunting season a couple of years after she became famous and it is believed she had probably taught her offspring her canister opening trick.

https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2012 ... tuary.html

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 8:21 pm 

:D "Apparently, advanced age brought about an alleged increased aggressiveness toward campers and hikers with food, which is a common phenomenon among the animal kingdom as anyone observing geriatrics at a Denny’s around five in the afternoon can attest. Perhaps this aggressiveness played a role in her recent demise." :D

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 8:42 pm 

With three zoo bears world wide contracting covid( one fatally) should Canada be inoculating our bears?And if you come across a covid bear should you attempt to fit him with a respirator?

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 8:43 pm 

wotrock wrote:
:D "Apparently, advanced age brought about an alleged increased aggressiveness toward campers and hikers with food, which is a common phenomenon among the animal kingdom as anyone observing geriatrics at a Denny’s around five in the afternoon can attest. Perhaps this aggressiveness played a role in her recent demise." :D
Not necessarily. Even though she was increasingly seen in the close presence of campers with food. she was not shot as a dangerous aggressor, only by a hunter as a regular wild bear during regular open hunting season. AFAIK, identification of her by her ear tags played no direct part in the decision of her demise. Any animal, bear or squirrel, that becomes habituated to humans via careless food storage will tend to lose fear of humans if they learn easy access to food is at stake.

Last edited by nessmuk on May 11th, 2021, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 8:53 pm 

nessmuk wrote:
wotrock wrote:
Not necessarily. Even hough she was increasingly seen in the close presence of campers with food. she was not shot as a dangerous aggressor, only by a hunter as a regular wild bear during regular open hunting season. AFAIK, identification of her by her ear tags played no direct part in the decision of her demise. Any animal, bear or squirrel, that becomes habituated to humans via careless food storage will tend to lose fear of humans if they learn easy access to food is at stake.

Which is exactly why we should store our food underwater. I am glad someone else agrees with me and OP. Are you a proponent of the 'bag of rocks' method or the 'danforth and chain'?

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 9:00 pm 

Dan. wrote:
nessmuk wrote:
wotrock wrote:
Not necessarily. Even hough she was increasingly seen in the close presence of campers with food. she was not shot as a dangerous aggressor, only by a hunter as a regular wild bear during regular open hunting season. AFAIK, identification of her by her ear tags played no direct part in the decision of her demise. Any animal, bear or squirrel, that becomes habituated to humans via careless food storage will tend to lose fear of humans if they learn easy access to food is at stake.

Which is exactly why we should store our food underwater. I am glad someone else agrees with me and OP. Are you a proponent of the 'bag of rocks' method or the 'danforth and chain'?
Are you speaking of me? My answer is absolutly not. I think it is a crazy unworkable idea frsught with many problems to try to submerge food. I have always hung my food or used approved bear resistant canisters using standard proven techniques when in bear, squirrel, and mouse areas and have never had any problem when done properly.